2009 Flex Brake problems
By bassguy on
2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I was happy with the ride and feel until I hit 20K, and noticed a momentary grinding when I applied the brakes. Sometimes a gaslike smell was noticed after breaking. Quite a bit of black dust seemed to accumulate on the two rear wheels. At 25K a periodic squeal was noticed but the Ford dealer inspected and said the brakes were "good". At 29.5K the brakes made a grinding sound and were visably scored (rear left). My Ford Dealer said that "it wasn't a Ford problem because he didn't have a service bulletin that dealt with this problem!". Rather than have him repair with duplicate Ford parts, I took the car to a Goodrich dealer for new rear rotors and new upgraded pads.
Favorite Features
The Ford Flex has a smooth ride and in a sense is a comfortable small truck (all seats fold down). When I am transporting adults they fit comfortably in the middle set of seats. The heated front seats are especially appreciated during the winter months. The sound system is a pleasure to use (there is no need for Sirous radio when you have a good CD player on board).
Suggested Improvements
Make the steering wheel more adjustable (forward and back) so that the driver's seat doesn't need to be used to compensate for arm-length comfort. Having to move the seat forward makes it difficult to step out of the car without having to constantly re-adjust the seat.
By swaldron
on 07/06/13 12:09 PM (PDT)

I had the same rear brake problem at around 44K and Ford would not stand behind the fact that their OEM brakes are failing on these cars - forcing owners to spend $100's to fix something that the factor should fix due to poor parts and/or design.