Used 2005 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
Trading in
By Trading in

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 2005 XLD AWD Escape used in March '05 with 17,000 miles on it. As others have written, we have had problems filling up the gas tank. Gas nozzle keeps shutting off which drives my husband nuts. Started having problems with the brakes at about 50K. Mechanic replaced tires, rotated tires and put on new brake pads which solved the problem for only a little while. It probably needs new rotors, but at only 2 yrs old with 57K miles on it and 3 years left on the loan, we decided to trade it in for an older car with less miles that we could pay off sooner at $100 less/month. Overall though, this was a good car, preformed very well in the snow with the smart AWD but hard on gas.

Favorite Features

Smart AWD, cargo area in back - perfect for our dog, roof rack, 6-disc in dash CD changer, feels solid and safe to drive. Will definitely miss the versatility of an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Filling up the gas tank takes forever and is frustrating, doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, not very comfortable on long trips over 2 hours.

Fun combined with economy
By JP

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this Escape wanting enough room for 4 adults, cargo room and good gas mileage. Bingo! Our Escape seems to be stuck at 27 + miles to a gallon! even with more than half city driving. We packed it full to travel to an out of state wedding , left one side of the rear seat up for our grandson and had room to spare. Its great fun to drive, responsive and handles well. In fairness there is a whistling noise ( maybe roof racks) when traveling on the freeway, and the running boards are not only useless but an actual pain since you cant use them to get in- you have to crawl over them muddying your jeans as you straddle them.

Favorite Features

Handling , fuel economy, and cargo room

Suggested Improvements

Less road noise in rear end, Running boards that are useful, and eliminate the wind noise from the roof racks

Ride to Escape
By winnie

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

An excellent vehicle in all respects. The only complaint is the tires. Highway noise is bothersome at any speed. After two long trips we changed to Michelin and solved the noise problem.

Suggested Improvements

Tires with less road noise.

Love it
By erica27

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Escape for almost a year and a half and I absolutely love it! I am a senior in college and it's everything and more I could want in a car! My previous vehicles were sedans and the Escape drives like a car, but I love sitting higher in traffic and would not trade this car for anything! I hit a deer a few months ago and I know that I would have been injured if I were in a sedan. It is so spacious. I am now the designated driver on road trips, but it's well worth it because all my friends love the car too and we all fit comfortably! I plan on graduating college and heading off into the real world in this vehicle!

Favorite Features

6 disc CD player, automatic windows (my previous cars had crank windows, so little things excite me!), power sunroof, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, but that's only natural these days. It's not bad for an SUV, I guess. The cupholders in the front, only able to fit one cup, the other one barely fits due to the center console.

Best Fit
By olcrank

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does all we want it to. Also have a 4WD 2003 Escape w/no problems. These vehicles are the most practicle,easy-to-drive,comfortable on the road. I drove all kinds of SUV's and pickups over a 35 year career as a mine inspector in the central Mt's. of PA (the last being a 2001 Escape). 45,000 miles of mud,dust,water and with regular maintenance no problems.Sure,it wouldn't go some of the places a Jeep could( didn't have the ground clearance)but I was impressed enough to replace two personal cars- a Durango and a Cherokee with the Escapes and have never been sorry.

Favorite Features

Seating position, easy to drive,visibility, cargo area, styling, 24MPG, size is just right.

Suggested Improvements

OEM Contitrac tires pick up stones,gravel,screws,nails.