2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Love it
By erica27 on 07/17/08 18:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Escape for almost a year and a half and I absolutely love it! I am a senior in college and it's everything and more I could want in a car! My previous vehicles were sedans and the Escape drives like a car, but I love sitting higher in traffic and would not trade this car for anything! I hit a deer a few months ago and I know that I would have been injured if I were in a sedan. It is so spacious. I am now the designated driver on road trips, but it's well worth it because all my friends love the car too and we all fit comfortably! I plan on graduating college and heading off into the real world in this vehicle!

Fun combined with economy
By JP on 07/02/08 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this Escape wanting enough room for 4 adults, cargo room and good gas mileage. Bingo! Our Escape seems to be stuck at 27 + miles to a gallon! even with more than half city driving. We packed it full to travel to an out of state wedding , left one side of the rear seat up for our grandson and had room to spare. Its great fun to drive, responsive and handles well. In fairness there is a whistling noise ( maybe roof racks) when traveling on the freeway, and the running boards are not only useless but an actual pain since you cant use them to get in- you have to crawl over them muddying your jeans as you straddle them.

Trading in
By Trading in on 01/16/08 07:55 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 2005 XLD AWD Escape used in March '05 with 17,000 miles on it. As others have written, we have had problems filling up the gas tank. Gas nozzle keeps shutting off which drives my husband nuts. Started having problems with the brakes at about 50K. Mechanic replaced tires, rotated tires and put on new brake pads which solved the problem for only a little while. It probably needs new rotors, but at only 2 yrs old with 57K miles on it and 3 years left on the loan, we decided to trade it in for an older car with less miles that we could pay off sooner at $100 less/month. Overall though, this was a good car, preformed very well in the snow with the smart AWD but hard on gas.

Best Fit
By olcrank on 08/31/07 12:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does all we want it to. Also have a 4WD 2003 Escape w/no problems. These vehicles are the most practicle,easy-to-drive,comfortable on the road. I drove all kinds of SUV's and pickups over a 35 year career as a mine inspector in the central Mt's. of PA (the last being a 2001 Escape). 45,000 miles of mud,dust,water and with regular maintenance no problems.Sure,it wouldn't go some of the places a Jeep could( didn't have the ground clearance)but I was impressed enough to replace two personal cars- a Durango and a Cherokee with the Escapes and have never been sorry.

Ride to Escape
By winnie on 07/03/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

An excellent vehicle in all respects. The only complaint is the tires. Highway noise is bothersome at any speed. After two long trips we changed to Michelin and solved the noise problem.

2005 XLT FWD V6
By mec1974 on 05/15/07 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I first saw the Escape in 2000 when they first came out and was amazed with how peppy they are. Bought a used '05 with 18K miles. The dealer had several 'Limited' editions on the lot with better options but I opted for one with the No Boundaries package with cloth. I like the more aggressive look of the roof rack and the black fender flares. It does drive somewhat like a truck, but I like that. You sit a little higher in traffic, which I like, and makes me feel safer. I did not want the AWD because my wife had an AWD SUV and the gas mileage was horrible. Plus, here in Texas 4x4 and AWD really are not necessary.

Let the fun times roll!
By jdsh2 on 04/19/07 15:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Escape. I have a black XLT Sport package. It has great pickup, it's roomy, and it's sporty and stylish. I agonized over buying this vehicle and I am so incredibly happy I did. I looked at the Mazda Tribute and even though they are made on similar lines, the Escape is peppier, has better dash setup, etc. I could go on and on. I have 5 friends that have them and they all love them too! That speaks volumes to me.

Great Vehicle!
By anfmichael82 on 12/30/06 07:03 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I leased the 05 Ford Escape in April of 04. I absolutely love this truck! I have had no problems with it, and have been very satisfied. This is a very reliable vehicle. The only things that I didn't care for was that it needed better gas mileage, and when on uneven ground the interior started to sound like cheap plastic. Overall I would definitely lease this car again.

great Escape
By marosavage on 08/27/06 16:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Fun suv great mileage and reliable transportation.

Love my Escape!
By Michael on 04/07/06 07:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 05 Escape. It looks a lot better than the previous years. It has an excellent ride (no bounce like other Fords usually have) and great pickup! I love the room inside. I think it could have better gas mileage. I get average 19 mpg (I drive about half city and highway). I would really recommend this car. 30,000 miles, and not a problem so far (knock on wood).