Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Warranty Hog
By jackt

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought Malibu LTZ V6 in June 2009. The car is very comfortable on road. It pushes badly on fast sweepers but I do not normally drive that fast. The power is a bit above adequate. The trunk opening is truly dismal. The "A" pillars offer a huge blind spot. Visibility is also poor to the rear. For me the visibility issue is the worst feature of the car. Four items have been replaced on warranty: right rear door window gasket, the steering column, power steering rack, and the intermediate steering shaft. The piece above the mirror that holds the sun roof and garage door controls had to be reattached. The V-6 in my '92 SHO was MUCH smoother the Malibu's

Blue tooth, XM radio On Star The handling is actually pretty good. The fuel economy is reasonable for the size and performance of the car, and it comes on 87 octane instead of 92 octane like some of its competition. Also, because of the way the gauges are set deep my wife can not see the speedometer

If Chevy could improve visibility it would be great. A larger trunk opening. Smooth out the V-6. Build a car that needs less repair. Power seat controls are awkward to reach. The lumbar lever is almost impossible to use while driving.

Great car so far!
By Sharmin

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased a certified, pre-owned and so far it is fabulous! Great exterior look and very roomy interior with well placed instruments and controls. I am very short and he is very tall and neither one of us have problems driving or riding with comfort. Would definitely recommend this car!

Bluetooth, gas mileage and great exterior

Need a bigger trunk opening

Best of the Midsizers
By Sydspapa

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a 1999 Olds Aurora that I loved but the air had died. I drove all midsizers and Malibu beats them all hands down. I am 6'4" and 265 and have no problems getting in and being comfortable. This car is the quietest and not sure about the reviews on the visibility as I have not experienced any of those issues but I look over my shoulder when I change lanes. Sound quality of the radio is good and trunk space is good as well. The 4 cyl engine with 4 speed tranny works just fine for my driving requirements. Very impressed with this car so far.

Quiet interior, looks, comfort

Just put good quality rims on all new cars..

The LS is a Very Good Value
By Scott

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Got the 4cyl. LS. Although the LS is the base trim the car is well equipped. I spend a lot of time on the interstate driving to work. The Malibu excels in this type of driving: it is very quit and gets good gas mileage. I have 35000 on my Malibu and have had zero problems. The OEM tires are still good. The driver seat has a small wear spot wher my wallet sits in my back pants pocket. For the money, this is a very good value. I need a reliable and pleasant vehicle to drive 90 miles everyday to work. The Malibu fits the bill.

Onstar, XM Radio, The car is very quit even when accelerating

Make all steering wheels leather wrapped, Needs more back seat space, Wider opening for the trunk, Put the 6 speed transmission in the LS

May the best car win? Uh, not this one.
By Jeff B

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 09 Chevy Malibu is a huge leap forward for GM, and it is world better than past GM cars I have driven. However, now that I have had it for 18 months or so, the problems have begun to appear, and the dealer (Royal Chevy in NJ) has been zero help. Now my dash lights don't work and that means NO speedometer. The right turn signal doesn't cancel itself, and it sounds like something is loose in the left front wheel well. Are these terrible, debilitating problems? Nope. But as I also drive a 3y/o Honda CR-V and 4 y/o Mazda Miata, the comparisons are striking. No problems at all with the Honda or Mazda and both drive much more smoothly.

Good handling. Nice exterior style.

Engine/trans software mapping is poor, so that engine is not responsive at all. Quality not on par with Japanese brands.