Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Not too great
By Arnold

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for three years. Fuel consumption is great, all controls are good location. Smooth ride. Steering control and braking is excellent. Visibilty is great. Stereo doesnt have aux input and hard or cannot be upgraded. engine are noisy. I sent the car several times to the dealership for steering problem, cd drive running continously, small area paint peeling off under 2 front door and at the luggage door. Within two years under 12000 miles, they had replaced the lower ball joint and lower arm assembly due to clunking noise in the front suspension when it hit a bump even though that I drive it carefully.

Good fuel economy, braking performance is excellent, it saves me from hitting another car in front of me.

Reliability should be improved, they should stick to the older design that work perfecly.

Good and reliable
By Matt

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for about three years now. It's at about 70 thousand miles and still running great. I have the base model, so there isn't a lot of power, but the gas mileage is great and it's got a decent amount of pep for a four cylinder. The ride is smooth and the transmission is fluid. It has plenty of leg room and the interior, while not made of top grade materials, has held up nicely to a 4 and 1 year old.

A lot of features for a base model, like keyless entry and power everything. For the gas mileage, this car puts out some nice performance.

The motor can be a little noisy when it's working hard.

The right decision
By April

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu after a month and a half of searching for a vehicle after I totaled mine. I was a bit skeptical on this purchase because I know what kind of problems Malibus have had in the past. I work with cars everyday so I get to see first hand what kind of problems come thru my door. Once I saw the car's sleek design and I was able to test drive it, I was sold. This Malibu was far past my expectations of a Malibu. I love the 3.5L V6, which my dad says is too big for me and my lead foot! I purchased this car used with 80000 miles on it. I have put almost 6000 on it since I bought it and I have very few complaints. There are a few bumps here and there, but thats normal for a used car.

I love the 3.5L V6, the moon roof, the 6 disc changed (which doesn't like burned cd's sometimes) the leather/suede interior, the huge trunk. I just love this car all around.

Ok, what is up with the plastic clip on the windshield on the drivers side inside? Was this something GM left on accidentally or intentionally?

Excellent Value
By JD

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Terribly disappointed in my two Toyotas. Went back to Chevy and wow what a car. Great gas mileage, very good road handling, and competitively priced. Am getting ready to buy a new car and it will be another Chevrolet product.

Like the trim size. The road handling. The radio.

Too much wind noise when the moonroof is open.

Should have known better
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Should have known better than to buy another Malibu after having problems with an '01 model. With the exception of the steering column recall, this car seemed very good until about 3 years in. CD changer doesn't work. Interior shotty. Power steering started acting up, numerous squeaks. Then the starting began sticking, and the ignition in the dash had to be replaced at a cost of over $500. Finally traded the thing when the entire electrical system went haywire and blew the turn signals. Chevy makes good trucks; why can't they make a car? I will never own another GM car.

Fuel mileage great for a V-6.

Electronic and interior were incredibly poorly made. Obvious Chevy used cheap parts to try to compete with foreign brands. It didn't work!