Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Excellent Value
By JD

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Terribly disappointed in my two Toyotas. Went back to Chevy and wow what a car. Great gas mileage, very good road handling, and competitively priced. Am getting ready to buy a new car and it will be another Chevrolet product.

Like the trim size. The road handling. The radio.

Too much wind noise when the moonroof is open.

Should have known better
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Should have known better than to buy another Malibu after having problems with an '01 model. With the exception of the steering column recall, this car seemed very good until about 3 years in. CD changer doesn't work. Interior shotty. Power steering started acting up, numerous squeaks. Then the starting began sticking, and the ignition in the dash had to be replaced at a cost of over $500. Finally traded the thing when the entire electrical system went haywire and blew the turn signals. Chevy makes good trucks; why can't they make a car? I will never own another GM car.

Fuel mileage great for a V-6.

Electronic and interior were incredibly poorly made. Obvious Chevy used cheap parts to try to compete with foreign brands. It didn't work!

2005 Malibu LT 6-cylinder
By Carguy999

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I originally bought this car to commute 76 miles roundtrip to work. Very comfortable, very reliable, very fuel- efficient. 70% highway driving has yielded an average of 28mpg. The only repairs needed have been a couple of recalls and a steering fix common for this generation of Malibus; otherwise just oil changes and tire rotations. Not an exciting car, but very, very practical. I had intended to sell it now that I'm retired, but I'm re- thinking that. A far better value, and a much better car, than my wife's 2006 Toyota Camry.

Reliability, fuel economy, comfort, interior space.

More exciting styling might have been nice, but its utilitarian look has grown on me.

My Malibu LS
By Chevyman

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu after a long 3 year battle with my 2001 Saturn L-200. Great car only issue is a slight dash rattle between 50-62 mph other than that it's great. Fuel economy is awesome. Great power. Roomy interior. I noticed one individual stated that Chevys are junk and that he was going back to Toyota well go, buy foreign and push our country into more of a recession. This car is a good value no matter what way you look at it.

Price, comfort, economy, power

Chevy has improved the Malibu in all aspects just look at the 2008 Malibu. Don't see any Toyotas that sweet.

Safety nightmare
By Sheila

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since I purchased the car brand new I have been to the dealer for the following problems: New rack and pinion replaced twice, 2 bald tires replaced from bad alignment, heated seats go on randomly, the radio switch on the steering wheel stopped working, and now the seat brackets broke on the drivers seat and the car was never involved in an accident. GM showed no concern for my safety and said it was not under warranty anymore! The car only has 34000 miles on it. the interior is a fake leather and shows all spots and water drops. they do not come clean. On the highway you cannot have the back windows open or there is a tunnel sound in your ears.

Interior is roomy.

Need to work on the quality of the workmanship!