2004 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2004 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

I love my 2nd Malibu
By Cheryl Vasquez

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I first owned a 2003 Malibu, which I liked as well, although, my 2004 held out better in frontal impact collision. My 2003 was totalled and my 2004 was salvageable. I like the Malibu and I enjoy driving this car immensely. I would recommend this car to anyone with 1-2 children. Any more in the family could be a little uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage

Suggested Improvements

Put the ashtray back in as a standard feature.

Very Impressive
By Ladym

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently needed to upgrade vehicles and when test drving decided on the Malibu LT. The exterior design is a great improvment from the previous bodystyle. Having put it on the Saab chasis is the best part. The ride is incredible, very comfortable and it has excellent leg room. The 3.0 Liter V6 has as much if not more pep than my previous Mazda 626 with the 2.5 liter V6. The electronic power steering is great. Also fuel mileage averages 32+ miles per gallon in all types of driving conditions. Interior design is great, including the heated leather seats. It has a powerful stereo and I also like the side airbag safety feature that has been added. Chevrolet has won back a customer.

Favorite Features

Electronic power steering, Ample leg room, Electronic display of just about everything you want and need to know. Excellent ride, very smooth. Heated seats when winter arrives. Improvment of body style from previous models. Fuel mileage. Also the price tag. Much lower than comparable foreign models

Suggested Improvements

In the LT model, they could possibly put a few more luxurious looking features on the dash. Very happy with my decision to go back to a Chevrolet.

Magnificant Chevy
By Frank Bates

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

By far, my 2004 malibu is the best car I have ever owned. This is after several GM, Ford, and Honda products. At 13,000 miles, nothing is wrong, and it gets more than 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

Favorite Features

Engine is powerful and responsive. This is a fun vehicle to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I cannot think of anything.

Great Car
By Malibu Guy

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Malibu. This new version is by far the best one yet. In over a year, I only had it back to the dealer for the required state inspection. I paid 70% of the sticker price - quite a deal and car. Are there better cars? Sure, but you'll pay a lot more for them. This is an excellent value for my money. I like the idea of the SS and will buy one if the price is reasonable.

Favorite Features

Fold down front & real seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio reception.

Almost a lemon
By Jurate

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

From the first month of ownership, the car had various troubles. Visor fell off, CD changer did not function, keyless remote needed to be replaced, steering malfunctioned, tire blew at high speed on interstate, and finally a MAF sensor went out. I had decided to trade it after making my 16th car payment, but the decision was made for me when a driver rear-ended me and totalled the car. The Malibu, on its Saab chassis, protected us very well in a pretty high speed collision. I was stopped and the other driver ran into me at 35 miles an hour, knocking me across the intersection with 3 distinct hits. I am now shopping for an import.

Favorite Features

Steering, paint job

Suggested Improvements

Start was not nearly as smooth as my 1997 Malibu. Trunk latch button can be set off in motion while placing object such as cassette box into pocket. Needs to be relocated.

Sorry I bought this
By spikey

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission jerks when it downshifts into first, and if I press on accelerator as it's doing this, there is a bang; something loose on driver side drive train. Every bump makes terrible reverberating bangs/thuds. Cruise control kicks off because rpm is too erratic. Rough cold idle, and will stall after 10 minutes. CD player won't play CD-Rs without swooshing sounds. Interior rattles are driving me crazy, especially from passenger door pillar.

Favorite Features

The engine itself is great. Excellent power and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Other than problems, I can't think of any improvements.

Great Car
By VicR

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Malibu LT for over a year. The engine is not as peppy as my former car (1999 Mustang), but the fuel mileage more than makes up for that. Like some other reviewers, I had a steering column issue when the car was 6 months old. The dealer fixed it and I have had no other problems. I'm short and this is most comfortable car I have ever driven due the adjusting steering wheel and pedals. My husband is over 6 feet tall and he has plenty of headroom. Great car!

Favorite Features

Adjusting foot pedals, XM radio

Suggested Improvements

More durable markings on the radio knobs

Plesantly Suprised
By JPWhite

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a 5 speed Escort for a used 4 cylinder Mailubu LS. Used to a sluggish car, I was expecting more of the same, but need good mileage given the number of miles I drive and the increasing price of gas. I was also unsure if I'd like the extra noise at cruise from a 4 speed auto compared to a 5-speed manual. I must say I have been impressed all round, this is NOT just another hum drum commuter car. I have rejected Malibus in the past because of engine noise. The 2004 is much better. The car handles very well indeed. The biggest suprise? Very, very quiet at 70Mph, only 2600 revs or so with power to spare. Changes gears intelligently and smoothly. I am more than pleased - great car.

Favorite Features

CD Player keeps running after ignition turned off, too cool! Can change CD's with ignition off - Yeah! Quiet cruising on interstate - I love it! Automatic lights! Can't forget to switch them on in the dark. Great Handling. Great mileage for an automatic! 30MPG, mixed driving.

Suggested Improvements

Oil dipstick cannot be reinserted using handle alone. Leg room a little short in rear, but more than ample in front seats. Would prefer a column shift auto. Gives more room for storage of items in center console. Add a manual gearbox option? Better engine sound proofing. Dipstick for tranny.

LT: Great Value
By ejcamc

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had LT since Oct 04. My main concern in choosing the LT over Camry and Accord was quality. So far, my concerns were unwarranted. You get a lot more for less money than you do with Camry or Accord. Especially like ABS brakes included. Like the ability to fold front and back seats. Gas mileage is 30+ on highway. I like the styling of the car and the brushed leather seats add a nice touch of elegance.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, fold down front seat, comfortable ride, satellite radio and message console

Suggested Improvements

Power passenger seats

2nd time Malibu
By Paul

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This Malibu is surprisingly comfortable. It is very spirited on the road and a great value in comparison to similar cars. The standard features are amazing and include full power,traction control,ABS,an excellent stereo, adjustable pedals and a 200 hp six.

Favorite Features

200 hp V6, sporty interior, terrific price, excellent gas mileage,smooth automatic four speed, comfort!

Suggested Improvements

The jury is still out with me on the electronic steering. It is effortless but a bit unsure at highway speeds. The front lights could be better styled although they cast a terrific field of vision.