Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
Lots of money in repairs
By Angryowner

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased at decent price with rebates. Glad I bought the extended warranty from 36 month to 5 yr or 75k miles cause fuel pump quit= $900 , water pump-head gasket=$900 all happened under warranty. Now at 91k miles needs a complete new head. Stripped rocker arm bolt out of head and have no idea why. Will cost me $1,500. 48 year old woman drives this car easy, and I kept it serviced with care. This will turn me away and I will buy a foreign car made here in America next time.

Favorite Features

Small gas tank and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Build one that doesn't break down

Not Bad, Not Great
By rswanson101

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've been driving my '03 Malibu LS (fully loaded) for about a year now. I purchased it used with only 26,000km on it! I really like the way the car rides. It's so quiet, even on the highway, and it soaks up bumps really well. The interior fit ad finish is ok, but nothing amazing. It's got nice pickup in the city, and really good passing power on the highway (I've passed with ease at 150 km/h on a steep hill. The worst drawback for me are fuel economy. I only get about 16 city and 22 hwy carefully, watching my driving habits, 15 & 19 driving normally. The other thing is that it feels cheap at times (ie some of the buttons/knobs). It's not too bad, but should be thought of as 'just a car'.

Fuel pumps in Chevrolet Malibu poor
By Katherine Knudsen

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had trouble with the cooling system and now the fuel pump. This is my second malibu and the second time I have had to deal with a fuel pump. The seat is difficult to pull down in back for trunk room.

Favorite Features

comfortable to travel in and roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements needed in cooling system and fuel pump.

No complaints
By chevyok

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Going on 11th year since new. Fairly reliable car given normal maintenance. Beside the normal problems others have reported, such as sticky flasher, stuck A/C button, wrapped rotor, etc, I really cannot complaint too much. I did replace the water pump and thermostat, shocks all around 100K miles, the ABS sensors at 115K. Other than that, everything still works approaching 136K. My goal with this car is 250K miles, but will see when and if it can get there.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks, leather everything, sunroof, spoiler all around $15K when new.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy just got to stop putting drum brakes in any car. Given the difference between disc brakes and drum brakes, I suspect the savings are negligible for GM.

First Car At 168,000 Miles...
By Ethyn Dirmeyer

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Well, got my first car about a month ago. The Chevy Malibu LS. Got it used for a heck of a deal. Love the power this thing has got, and the interior design is AMAZING! The Radio is alright, ended up replacing every single speaker (4x6 and 6x9) for Rocksfords. The original speakers arent bad though, the bass isnt half bad but not any wear NEAR what you can get. I love the inside of this car. 2 Cigarette Lighters, Easy to open door panels. All i'm getting from now until i die is a Malibu (:

Favorite Features

Good Stereo System, 3.1L Engine, Power Steering handles well, 2 Cigarette lighters.

Suggested Improvements

The Seats are uncomfortable a little over 2 hours of sitting.