Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Reliable, Comfy Car Overall
By A.D.

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Chevy Malibu with 11,000 miles on it. I now have 22,000 miles on it. I don't drive long distances (everywhere I go is pretty much within 15 miles of my house), but this car gets me from Point A to Point B safely. I don't worry about breaking down in the middle of the night. I've had this car for about a year and a half, and the only thing it's been at the mechanic's shop for is the routine oil change every 3,000. That's it. This is a very low-maintenance, reliable, comfortable car, great on gas, has sufficient pickup with its V6 engine. Factory stereo/CD system is superior to most factory systems. It rocks. And the car looks nice, too! I'm very happy with my Malibu.

Favorite Features

Faux wood dash panels, stereo, CD player, roomy interior, very comfy, big trunk, tilt steering wheel, comfy seats, and I love the position of the ignition keyhole--straight ahead so you can see it, as opposed to hidden on the side and under the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that I notice (mostly after a rainy day) that I get some condensation inside the plastic casing that goes around the headlights. Perhaps they should use higher-quality molding/rubber to better seal this area.

Need to fix wheel bearings
By Melissa Sutherland

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love the car in general. Good gas mileage, great factory stereo system, very reliable. I travel a lot, so I love that I can rely on it. My only complaint is I've only had the car a year and had to replace 2 wheel bearings. Otherwise it's a great car.

Favorite Features

Stereo, gas mileage, comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Wheel bearings need to last a lot longer. it could use better gas mileage with gas prices so high. There's a rattling in front fender

Cheap
By Rick

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new, and have only put 20k miles on it in over 2 years. A wheel bearing went bad at 8k miles. The stereo stopped working at 13k, the horn stopped working at 18k, engine belt had to be replaced at 20k. Brakes are shot now at 20k, tires are wearing pretty badly as well, and nope, I don't do any jerky driving or high speed turns. I also get random weird vibrations and noises. i have noticed tiny spots of rust forming on the roof and trunk. The rust is under the trunk lid as well, so I'm wondering what is going on there. The car feels cheap in general, but I think I would have gotten my money's worth if it weren't for these annoying problems. I'm afraid of many more problems happening after the warranty is up.

Favorite Features

V6 engine gets the job done. Sure it isn't ridiculously fast, but it provides plenty of passing power and acceleration for me.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality -- pay attention to detail.

OK replacement for Accord
By wildbill

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced my beloved '91 Honda Accord EX with the Malibu LS, with fear and trepidation. So far so good! Got a killer deal, too. Handles great, comfortable, and gas mileage of 26/32 like my Accord, after 25K miles. No service needed other than routine. It ain't a Honda, but it'll do for commuting in safety and comfort.

Favorite Features

LS has nice upholstery, good stereo sound, roomy trunk, split back seat open to trunk, nice paint job, love the remote keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

Better rear-window visibility needed (spoiler obscures), cheap plastic trim package is kind of ugly, sound system controls are confusing.

Very Reliable Car
By AZALIA31

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu new and have had it for two and a half years now. A very reliable car. Very nice factory stereo. I already have 30,000 miles on it, and it's taking everything I give it. It has very good pick up. Makes it easy to get on the highway quickly. Overall I'm very happy with my car and have no plans of replacing it any time soon.

Favorite Features

Stereo has good sound, very reliable easy access remote

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage needs improvement. Factory tires are too noisy