Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

GM stop making lemons!
By MikeDJ

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Malibu couple of years ago, thinking is a good balance between price, performance and quality! We were sooo wrong! Although the price was cheap, but not cheap enough to justify the poor performance and the overall quality. The engine is a junk (we had to replace the intake gasket), the A/C system has to be recharged monthly (the compressor and few other things has to be replaced)-still is not working properly! Overall costly repairs!!!

I can't think about too many... maybe let's say is roomie enough for 2 adults and 2 kids and a lot of baggage...

First of all ENGINE. Suspensions (are too soft and "mushy"). A/C has low efficiency (you are wondering if is working or not). Seats (are uncomfortable for long rides). Cruise Control should be standard because will improve fuel efficiency (if you care about this issue!).

Suprisingly reliable!
By twelveboy

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car in 2003 and it had 30k miles on it. We barely took care of it. I got it at 70K miles a few years later and drove it into the ground and it was always very reliable! Great acceleration for a standard V6 Chevy! Seats were uncomfortable on long trips but for the price and treatment we gave it, it was an extremely reliable car. It was sold to a friend of mine, it now has 115k miles on it and still has needed nothing in repairs! I cannot believe it!!!

Good power, cheap, reliable transportation, I got 30mpg on highway at 85-90 mph!

Better seats for back support.

Run To The Hills
By Mot

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 2000 Chevy Malibu in 2003 it had a little over 24000 miles on it.It seemed a good deal for just over 10000. As of 2009 I have probably had over $7000 in repairs. Right now I think the power steering system has passed away. I have had all sort of leaks and wire replacements. I was told by my mechanic that due to the Dexcool coolant that the manual says you are supposed to use it messes up various wires and causes it to overheat. If it wasn't for parental help I would probably be broke and in the gutter. A little after I bought it when I went to use the AC or heater the fan levels periodically stopped working. Driver's side sun visor somehow broke off in my hands. Be wary

Retire It.

Frequent Repairs
By critter

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

There is not much more to say except that I had multiple repairs on this car just months after I had purchased it. The coolant was coppery tan, needed changed and flushed although it only had 28,000 miles on it to begin with. Horrible, problems from day 1, had to have repairs before the 1st week, drove a borrowed car from dealer.

Junk
By Jim

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

These cars are junk. Horrible brake system. Intake gaskets prone to failure. Piston slap noise when started cold. A/C problems. Ignition switch and other electrical problems. I could go on. A company that sells a car this poorly designed should be shunned by the buying public forever.