2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Great for Teaching 2 Teenagers to Drive
By RR on 02/22/07 14:03 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Rented one and loved the performance. First 50,000 miles no issues. Then had to replace manifold gasket and fan control twice. At 100,000 the manifold gasket, air conditioning compressor, and rack n pinion need replacement. Still gets over 30 mpg on long trips but typically 16-20 mpg in suburban driving. As usual, Chevy had a good idea that was executed poorly.

I don't think I will buy another Chevy.
By LauraG on 09/08/06 16:05 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

In the beginning I loved my car, but recently it has turned into a "cartoon" car. It seems like things are always popping off of it. Can't keep a wheel cover on one wheel. The sun visor came off in my hand one day recently. Can't roll down one of the windows. One of the A/C buttons won't stay on. The speakers are crap. Sometimes my non existent anti theft system kicks in and I cannot start my car. The first time that happened it cost me $165 for the tow and to get it "fixed". In reality, they just reset the computer. It happened again a week later and when I called the shop they told me how to get it started. Just turn the key on ACC and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Below Average
By thestuff on 06/27/06 09:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Poor buy on my end. The metal around the gas cap is already bubbling, front wheel bearing and idle control sensor has also gone out on me. Also had a problem with the Dexcool in it turning to sludge and, as a result, looks like I might have to replace an intake manifold gasket. Gas mileage is great for this car, but the bad far outweighs the good. It can be peppy at times but it just feels cheap and based on the money I've invested in it, I'd say it's not worth even looking at one of these cars.

Agree w/Good Frosting, Bad Cake
By CM 2000 malibu on 06/25/06 15:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've had nothing but problems after I bought this car. Water coolant light come on corrrectly because antifreeze did leak. Manifold replaced. Hazard light switch replaced because it caused electrical problems with turn signals. Still haven't fiqured out why there's some interference with the CD playing. Automatic Transmission, had something replaced because it wouldn't shift into reverse sometimes. Rotors&pads trash. From the looks I thought I liked but engine is trash. Other reviews on this site that okay this car because the problems they had were covered under warrant don't make sense. A problem is a problem even if under warranty. Wait till the warranty runs out and you find more problems. I've owned Chevys before and loved them. Other than the engine & electical& trans problems the car's ok. But the engine is the reason for a car

Me & My "Bu"
By Trudy on 06/14/06 19:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

No one is allowed to drive but myself. I wash it every other week. It was my dream to have one. In the late 60's Dad bought a yellow one a standard & that's when i learned to drive a standard. It had spoke wheels a pretty yellow. My Bu is special to me. Love that style. It will be a classic I'll never trade it. Thanks for bringing them back!

Malibu LS
By 2000 Chevy Malibu on 04/15/06 22:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I love the taupe leather seats in my Malibu LS Gold Edition , I also love the power sunroof, seats, fog lights and cd and tape decks. This car gets excellent gas mileage and is VERY powerful with plenty of standard features. The SFI 3.1 liter V6 handles smooth and is excellent for traveling and fun in the sun. I would recommend this beautiful car to any one who is interested in many luxury and reliability options.

How fast the 2000 Malibu drives
By raqual keller on 03/16/06 16:55 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

It drives fast. It has a great engine. The interior is beautiful, white leather seats. I like the entire car. Exterior is excellent. I drove the car from Louisiana to Chicago. This car took me many places. I loved it and my children love it also.

My Faithful BU
By Bryan200k on 02/23/06 13:01 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I got it for the gas mileage and just the right size for me, inside and out. The seats could be more comfortable. Gas mileage, I average between 27.5 and 30 mpg. Once got 35.9 on a trip. Have recurring klunks and thunks in the suspension. I've had the 1 & 2 setting on blower switch go out, and the AC compressor shuts down without warning. The lighter weight of the car is a curse in the wind. Some decent wind, and I have to work the wheel to keep her on the road. Other than fuel pump shutting down, the engine and transmission have been smooth, consistent and no problems, and at 146,000 miles is still running and shifting like a low-mileage car.

Undecided
By Rebecca on 02/21/06 15:12 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I liked my Malibu, the interior was nice, roomy, and comfortable. The engine was built poorly, about a year after I had it, I had to fix an oil leak, my head gasket caught on fire, water pump broke, replaced roters, fix electrical wiring, fix gas pedal (sticking), idled high, very poor on gas, and made a clinking noise. Although with all my problems if the engine was built better I would buy another. I got into a really bad car accident and totaled the body work on the car. My engine, a passanger, and I came out with out a scratch. As for saftey this car is most reliable, as for engine wise, junk!

My Malibu
By Heather on 01/13/06 18:29 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Great Car!! The best car that I have owned. V6 is peppy and also gets good gas mileage. It is very comfortable.