2002 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
45K Driven on '02 Sport in 5 Years, Just Can't Let it Go
By bimmerbenz on 02/04/12 20:59 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned 3 consecutive 4.4l BMW from 5 to 7 to X5, I have liked the pwr. pkg. & the 5-series is my fav. Even w/o driving this one much I could never sell the vehicle. Safe and responsive 4800lbs., fun to drive the 4.4l pwr gets the same fuel economy as the 3.0l (so go for the 4.4l). Typical mechanical wear over time. Sport Model wears tires on a staggered 19" wheel (can be altered to matching 255-55-19) with a tight suspension for handling. Offers an addicting drive response w/performance from optionl steptronic if desired, you could probable take the 5-speed to 125MPH in 4th gear, just stealth performance.

Love It, But Wouldn't Buy It Again.
By KAV on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

SAV drives and handles awesome. I've loved it since owning it. It is quick, fast and fun to drive. BUT... it does have its quirks. Speed and weight causes brakes to wear. Electronic issues at times for heat, lights, etc. With 70,000 miles, the real problems have now started (and it looks like I'm not alone). CV boots & front axles had to be replaced. One month later, failed transmission with no warning. Dealer quote for transmission of $8,300 to replace. Although I love this vehicle, research tells me I can expect further serious problems and it is time to get rid of. (Contrast my '92 325i with 150,000 miles and still runs like new.) Now, looking at Porsche Cayenne.

This luxury SUV stinks big time!
By Hollie on 02/09/10 14:19 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used. The list of problems goes on and on and pretty much resonates what I have read from others so far: Tires have to be replaced every six months due to excessive wear and tear, coolant tank and hoses had to be replaced and the car is still leaking coolant, and best of all, after 100k miles, it needs a new transmission. The cost? $6,000! The X5 has far too many mechanical failures to deal with which ultimately makes this model not worth it in the end.

Mechanical Nightmare
By Jeff on 10/23/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car with 38K miles and have had it 3 years. It is a great car to drive and has tons of power. Downside, a mechanical nightmare. I had to have new brakes and rotors at 40K miles. Had the cooling expansion tank replaced, both power window motors replaced, door lock cylinder replaced, water pump replaced as well as all hoses and belts since they had it apart. Also had a bad tail light piece replaced, and one CV boot on the front axle replaced. It also wears tires out very quickly because of the negative camber that BMW installs on these things. Worst car I have ever owned mechanically.

Engine Gasket Problem
By Pedro on 09/03/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased a lightly used 2002 X5 which runs well except When the coolant light came on, $2000 dollars to replace gasket at 70K miles. Watch out BMW not taking responsibility for poor engineering. Found out this is a common problem with all of the 4.4L. BE CAREFUL!! OIL LEAKS TOO. Buy it cheap or stay away - learn from my mistake!

Good but not Great
By Hedgy on 12/23/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have this X5 with Sport Package as a compromise between owning a fast sedan and owning a practical family car. I save on insurance in MA by not having two cars. I have not been disappointed. It will go well over 120 mph when I want and it tows the boat to the cottage a couple times a summer too.

Convincing my wife
By Norm on 03/27/08 13:23 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great, but not troublefree, vehicle. Our first BMW. I had to convince my wife that she would enjoy this SAV. Now I cannot get her out of it. It has never stranded us, but we have gone to our dealer several times answering the "service engine soon" idiot light. This light has alerted us to a loose gas cap AND a bad catalytic converter. Both on the same idiot light. My wife uses automatic. I use manual shifting. It reminds me of my first car--a stick shift way back in the 1950s. Great cornering and passing power.

Best Sports Car Amongst SUVs
By Ronbo on 09/06/07 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

For an SUV this has been a great car for an auto sports enthusiast. Original tires (Michelins) were the worst thing about the vehicle. Once I put on good tires it has handled even better dry/wet/snow and nothing else got worse.

BMW X5
By Ted on 02/23/07 15:03 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Great car runs well, build very good, exterior design the best, interior excellent, mileage good, performance excellent.

Exceeded my expectations
By mark on 08/28/06 22:59 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 4.4 V8 as a certified pre owned. It was a prior demo with 21K miles on it. Now I have 54K with nary a problem. Change the oil, fill it with gas and go. And this baby goes, it handles just like a sports car. It is solid and tight. still has the new smell in it, from the ultra luxurious leather. I opted for one WITHOUT the sports package (the ride still is a little on the stiff side) but has everything else. Everything looks and works perfect,every time I detail it the car looks and feels like a brand new car. There is a lot to be said for BMW build quality and enginering. I still have the original tires and changed the brakes only once at 40K miles, unbelievable for a 4400 lb car.