Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Good - Not Perfect
By Ernie

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you're a 'driver' you'll love the steering, suspension and handling. Plus, the car is tight, engine is smooth and interior is perfect. But... HD radio is terrible. Constantly flips in & out of HD, save your money. BMW won't fix it. Auto trans is also sketchy. In sport mode it won't ever go to 6th gear and regular mode just doesn't downshift readily. If you're doing 40 MPH and step on it, it bogs down unless you press deep on the pedal. It makes the car feel underpowered. But you can punch it down a gear (or 2) with paddle shifters (I have sport pkg). Had a 330i with 5-spd prior to this and power wise, this is a little disappointing. If you're on the fence... get the Turbo! Wish I did.

Sport package seats and heaters (they're fast). Chunky steering wheel. Exterior style. Back seat is most usable in this class.

BMW engineers should drive an Acura to see how an auto should work. I'm not crazy about turbos (which is why I didn't buy one) so I'd like to see a stronger non-turbo (AKA the old 330 motor). BMW should make it possible to buy car without run-flats - they're really stupid about this.

Great car
By blue-bull

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just one awesome car to drive. My wife is begging me to drive it, but I refuse for I am having way too much fun. Well balanced performance, driving experience and comfort this is build for the drive car.

More power please!!!

The "low tire" light comes on every day... what a pain!!!! I never know if it is because of the cold or a real flat tire!!!

First BMW & I love it
By John

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I never pictured myself as a BMW type person. Had mostly driven domestics and "base model" imports (Honda, Toyota). I absolutely love this car. Fit and finish is great. Engine is smooth and fast with great mid-range torque. A little lag at initial acceleration (x Drive related) but it was an easy thing to adjust to. Nav works great; i Drive system took a little getting used to but is user friendly once you master it. Haven't driven through a winter yet so can't comment on the AWD. Far and away the best car I've ever owned.

Overall ride quality, engine performance, very responsive feel behind the wheel. Beautiful exterior; great fit and finish.

Put in some decent cup holders, or do away with them altogether. Run flat tires are loud on all but the smoothest of highways, sometimes drowning out the speaker on the hand-free phone system.

Functional and Fun
By LeCanard

2009 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't regret buying this car for one second! It is incredibly fun to drive, looks great, and performs like a BMW should. It sticks to the road like glue and makes even the most boring commute bearable with it's performance and style. I have had no problems with this car so far and it has not required any return trips to the dealer. I was going to get the 328 initially, but after driving the 335 I knew I wouldn't be as happy as I am now with the extra HP afforded by the 335.

Automatic transmission with DS mode. DS mode makes an automatic great... went in wanted a manual transmission but after driving the automatic I was converted. Comfort Access - worth it. Push button start - love it. Seats and all the adjustments are great! Interior styling is perfect.

Small cupholders in dash can be awkward. Would like to not have to be perfectly stationary to put top down or up (at least you don't have to be in park). Would like option to not have run flats.

I love my new 335i sedan!
By Dan B

2009 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I'd strongly considered the new 335d sedan earlier this summer, but opted for the 335i sedan instead...primarily due to availability and price considerations. This is my 6th BMW in the last 20 years, and I'm in love all over again with my car!! The sport package is worth the price, and the new IDRIVE nav system is much improved over the 2006 model.

Sheer performance exhilaration!!

None. Value wise, I think it is the perfect automobile.