Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

BMW 328 coupe
By jim

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got coupe 328 with auto, prem. and sport package. Car is great but hate run flat tires. Wake up BMW and get rid of those lousy expensive tires. This car deserves better.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Drop run flats.

Broken at 2k on the side of the road
By ruf

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I hate to say I paid 52k to be broken down on the side of the road at 2k miles. I am on my 2nd fuel pump as of last week, tonight 12/7/09 on the side of the road no oil in the motor. I could have driven, but the i drive oil light blinked red and told me to stop driving. The car is only good for wondering where and when I will be broken down next. I had the car in the shop for electrical problems for two weeks. Its not maintenance free if you have to be on the side of the road as much as I have been. If the reliability is bad then the build quality is just as bad. 3rd BMW and last one, I can't do this to myself anymore.

Favorite Features

Sport seats and i pod while you wait for the next tow.

Would have been great, but...
By ChiefBigTalker

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is nearly a great car. Fast. Handles well. Looks great. Sounds great. The retracting top is a thing of beauty. But it isn't as reliable as my old Alfa Romeo. Run flat tires are fragile; I've had to replace four of them in two years. I can deal with the somewhat harsh ride, but the huge expense and inconvenience has taught me never to buy another car with run flats. The fuel injection system broke down, taking the car out of commission for several days. Seats rattle. The cable connecting the ipod to the sound system is poor, and despite replacement still cuts out a channel from time to time. iDrive isn't that bad; lose the run flats, make it reliable, and it would be great.

Favorite Features

The folding top. The engine. The rain-sensing wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the run flats. Pay attention to build quality.

Great car, fun to drive, best AWD
By Mikhail

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I admit the mileage is not the best - but I have 30+ on a highway @ 75 mph or 23-25 mpg @ 100 mph. AWD is extremely good - can so easily go through 10 inches of snow on the parking lot or 5 inches snow uphill to ski areas. Very comfortable car especially comparing to new Subarus, Toyotas and Nissans. 4 times made 1200 mi in one day stopping only for refuel and hardly had any back pain where as Subaru imp-za made me sick after 700 mi. Overall excellent car, very impressed! Change of razor-bladed runflat tire for me was 286$.

Favorite Features

Great performance (though should've take 335!), very quite even @ 130 mph, excellent AWD, good mph (25+ mixed, 30+ highways) if driving not hard. Love DS selection on 6-steptronic for hard sport and manual for easy driving. Seats heat up in seconds - very good in winter.

Suggested Improvements

With polarized sun glasses can not see radio screen! Stupid. Manual adjustment of steering wheel (on the car for 40+k$). Run flat became little noisy after 25K mi and very expensive to change (though cheap to repair ~ 70$ if a simple nail).

Not Impressed
By BMWOwner

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had four Audi A4 sedans for the last six years. I purchased a BMW, hoping for the same or better performance. I'm not impressed. The transmission is sluggish, jerking around corners when accelerating (tech says it's normal), run-flat tires and NO SPARE and the tires are not good, the value for the money isn't there and not sure what the buzz about BMW is. I can't wait to trade this one for another Audi!

Favorite Features

Style, iPod adapter, quiet cabin.

Suggested Improvements

More value for the money, go back to spare tires, fix transmission!