Used 2002 BMW 3 Series 330i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Pretty & fun car but unreliable!
By T.Mk1

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car was fun to drive and pretty to look at. HOWEVER, the frequency of breakdowns was relentless. I didn't mind the repair costs, but the fact that this car broke down so many times was stressful. I was stranded on the road 3 times! I did the repairs myself, but the parts I bought for it added up to be $3000. If labor was added, it would've been close to $7000. Here is a list of things that I remember I had to replace on this car: Vacuum lines, secondary air pump, secondary air valve, vacuum solenoid, crankcase valve, control arm bushings, antifreeze reservoir, auxiliary fan, radiator fan, blower motor resistor, 2 window regulators, windshield wiper motor, windshield cowl, fuel filler cap, MAF sensor, camshaft sensor, DISA valve. It was also burning oil every 2000 miles. All of these parts failed within 1 year of owning this car, it had only 120,000 miles. It's true what they say, they are endless money pits. You have been warned. Lesson learned.

Don't believe the naysayers
By irobot1

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My current 2002 330i Sport is my 4th BMW and 34th car overall so I have some experience. This model of BMW - the E46 - is just plain solid. Yes, there are known issues such as window regulators and water pumps, but when you get past those annoyances and pay attention to the detail in the design of this car they fade into the background. It's easy to do regular maintenance on the car such as oil changes and brake replacements, in part because the parts are made with quality materials and still look like new after 10 years on the road. I think the E46 is possibly the last 3 series to have the classic BMW look and feel, and I have noticed the value of these cars going up in the used market.

The mechanical nature of the steering, braking and handling are incredible, but it still feels like a luxury car. The interior is clean and purposeful, with high quality materials and very few squeaks and rattles, even after 96,000 miles. Even though it's at least 11 years old, I believe it's still one of the best looking cars on the road, especially with the sport package.

None. OK, the window regulators were a really dumb design, and who thought putting plastic blades on a water pump was a good idea?

Great car, loving BMW
By bmwphile

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I used to own a Mustang GT before my Bimmer. After test driving the BMW I realized what a piece of junk I had been driving. The BMW has been a joy to own with hardly any problems. The steering, handling, and power is ridiculous.

The handling is great. The BMW always makes you feel like a king of the road.

None whatsoever. I think this model year was the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye (both inside and outside.)

2002 330i Sedan
By pimpjuice

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and had it ever since. Never seen a mechanic since purchase. I put a custom bodykit, 20 inch rims. cold air intake. Car is awesome and still drives like new. Wished i had got the stick instead. Gas average 27 (city/hwy). that is very good. Good power. I don't know about those who had bad mechanical experience with bmw, But I would love to get another i35, 335 or m3 someday.

Sexy looks, power, handling, my 20" rims on it with new bodykit. It's a total new look. This car looks great on bodykit.

More HP, cup holder location, alarm

My Mother In Law Was Right. Darn it.
By Jaybear

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My mother in law had a bad experience with a BMW in the 1980s, and told me that "BMW" stood for "Break My Wallet" when I drove home my beautiful brand new 2002 330i. Well, she was right. In addition to expensive regular maintenance costs, I paid a staggering $10,000 in post-warranty repairs, including a replacement transmission, broken driver's side window motor, radiator leak, tire rims that mysteriously cracked, headlight control switch, and seat motor. When the car worked, it was gorgeous and fun to drive, but not nearly worth the obscene repair costs. Adding insult to injury, my mother in law's judgment was correct, and I just traded in my BMW and then bought a Lexus like she did.

Drove beautifully (when it wasn't in the shop), classic styling, peppy (both before and after post-warranty transmission replacement of $4500), festive collection of "repair needed" lights in the instrument cluster to mentally prepare you for the cost of your next post-warranty repair.

Reliability and durability receive an F. No car should incur $10,000 in post-warranty repair costs despite religious performance of all scheduled maintenance. Despite how much fun this car was to drive, I cannot recommend BMW to anyone after my horrid experience.