2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Don't believe the naysayers
By irobot1 on 07/13/13 15:07 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My current 2002 330i Sport is my 4th BMW and 34th car overall so I have some experience. This model of BMW - the E46 - is just plain solid. Yes, there are known issues such as window regulators and water pumps, but when you get past those annoyances and pay attention to the detail in the design of this car they fade into the background. It's easy to do regular maintenance on the car such as oil changes and brake replacements, in part because the parts are made with quality materials and still look like new after 10 years on the road. I think the E46 is possibly the last 3 series to have the classic BMW look and feel, and I have noticed the value of these cars going up in the used market.

Great car, loving BMW
By bmwphile on 05/24/09 01:59 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I used to own a Mustang GT before my Bimmer. After test driving the BMW I realized what a piece of junk I had been driving. The BMW has been a joy to own with hardly any problems. The steering, handling, and power is ridiculous.

2002 330i Sedan
By pimpjuice on 11/14/08 13:24 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and had it ever since. Never seen a mechanic since purchase. I put a custom bodykit, 20 inch rims. cold air intake. Car is awesome and still drives like new. Wished i had got the stick instead. Gas average 27 (city/hwy). that is very good. Good power. I don't know about those who had bad mechanical experience with bmw, But I would love to get another i35, 335 or m3 someday.

My Mother In Law Was Right. Darn it.
By Jaybear on 11/09/08 09:38 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My mother in law had a bad experience with a BMW in the 1980s, and told me that "BMW" stood for "Break My Wallet" when I drove home my beautiful brand new 2002 330i. Well, she was right. In addition to expensive regular maintenance costs, I paid a staggering $10,000 in post-warranty repairs, including a replacement transmission, broken driver's side window motor, radiator leak, tire rims that mysteriously cracked, headlight control switch, and seat motor. When the car worked, it was gorgeous and fun to drive, but not nearly worth the obscene repair costs. Adding insult to injury, my mother in law's judgment was correct, and I just traded in my BMW and then bought a Lexus like she did.

Ultimate driving machine is no joke
By Allan Adderley on 12/29/07 17:06 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Feel very safe in this car. Impeccable handling, great power, and fabulous brakes turn otherwise scary experiences into just gee whiz moments. No fat. No wasted space. Every control feels exactly like you want it to feel and works the way to want it to work. Totally neutral handling at every speed makes you king of the road in the turns. Park it next to a new Mustang, for example, and you will be amazed at how small it is in comparison although it has more room inside. Tight turning radius makes maneuvering in small spaces a breeze. Cars like this just show how far the others have to go. Reliability has been very good with this and my former 2001 330i. Total mileage driven, about 60K.

There's NONE better! :)
By Bimmer4Life on 05/12/07 17:25 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love, love, love this car! I have the 330i with the high performance package. I have M3 18 inch staggered wheels, M3 steering wheel, navigation system, bi-xenon-auto leveling headlights, rain sensing wipers... the list goes on. I was hesitant to buy this car 2 years ago with 64k on it, but with all of the service records available, I took the risk. I now have 101K on the odometer and it's still purring (or growling with the dual chrome exhaust!) right along! I also have the Harmon Kardon sound system which is awesome. I owned a '98 328i previous to this car and I can't see EVER owning anything but a Bimmer!!

Ultimate driving machine?
By Harry_sangha on 01/05/07 09:05 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, I had a choice from 2 models and choose this one due to its performance. I have the wider tires with 18" rims. The car handles like a dream. Power is great, could be a little more for today's date but no complaints. Overall this car is very very fun to drive. I have owned several BMWs in my driving years, ranging from 3 - 7 series but this 330i sport is the most fun BMW to date. With a few minor issues, I would say this car is the ultimate driving machine.

Best car I have ever owned
By Martin330i on 11/06/06 18:01 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2002, with the sport package and premium interior. I've not had a single mechanical problem with it. Just had its 60k mile checkup. They found some minor wear-and-tear issues, nearly all of which were amazingly covered by the extended warranty I purchased. This car has been an absolute joy to own and drive. The performance and handling still put a smile on my face. I never thought I would enjoy an automatic transmission (have always driven stick), but the steptronic works so well, I don't miss the stick at all! I do agree about the tires though - I go through them frequently, especially the rears. Go figure! :-)

2002 BMW 330i Sport/Premium - 5 speed
By IknowUnot on 01/18/06 11:16 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car lives up to everything you've heard! It handles better than any of my friends so called "sports" cars and on the line it can leave most in the dust! I have never had a single mechanical problem to speak of and I've driven it to Omaha, NE and back once and also to Seattle, WA a few weeks ago. The seats are very comfortable for long distances and even though the car is built and handles like a sports car, it rides like a cadillac... nice and quiet. I also get 32 mpg driving back from Seattle! How many 4 door sedans can do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and still get 32 mpg on the interstate?!? One suggestion... don't get the automatic! You'll be missing out!

Even Better Than Expected
By Mark Workman on 06/20/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car knowing that it had great performance and looks. After 3 years, what I was not expecting was great reliability. This car has been in the shop for nothing other than oil changes. It looks like I just drove it off of the lot and people comment that it still smells new. This is a 3 year old car with 40k miles! I plan on keeping this car for 10+ years. It is worth the money. MPG is at 23 over the life of the car. On the negative, the backseat is small for an infant carrier, but workable and this car has the worst brake dust I have ever seen. Other than that, it is perfect.