Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Love This Car
By Jeff

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my 330i for 10 years and dread the day I have to give it up. I've had some minor problems, but over 6 years out of warranty I've spent less than $1,000 on repairs and maintenance. User forums have saved me considerably, e.g., found good replacement battery for $75 at Autozone; repaired runaway blower motor by replacing a resister; replaced brake pads and preserved wear sensors. The real joy is in the ride; great handling and a feel for the road you just don't find in other cars. I test drove this car down a winding road and was sold at the first hard turn and lost all my bargaining leverage when I gave a little moan of pleasure(the dealer knew what he was doing).

Favorite Features

Handling is unbelievable. Mileage is good,sometimes exceeds 30 mpg on highway. Ride is smooth with the right tires (General Exclaims). Leather is just showing some wear on the piping after 102,000 miles. The dynamic stability control makes it difficult to even force a spin in snowy conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield must be soft glass and I was considering replacing because of all the minuscule chips that reduced vision when looking into the sun. Fortunately, I was hit by a rock and had to replace the window. Wheel well liner is too easily damaged by heavy snow and ice (but easily replaced).

Good Reliable Car
By mzurada

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my BMW. The coupe is one of the most aesthetically pleasing cars to look at and I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to styling. The sports seats are firm and fantastically comfortable -- my back gets really sore from bad car seats and these are good enough to drive 12 hours a day. My car has a sports suspension which gives it superb handling but the automatic transmission makes my 325 a little underpowered so if you are into speed get the stick. The fuel economy in mixed city/highway driving is only about 22 mpg which is probably average for a car of this age with this type of performance characteristics.

Favorite Features

Seats, handling, looks

Suggested Improvements

No major gripes but the fake wood looks out of place and the automatic transmission can be sluggish if not pushed.

2001 BMW 3 Series
By SaLiMoS

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my BMW 1 week ago and i am loving it, well it's fun Driving it and it's very comfortable and Powerful. All what i did to the car after purchasing it is changing Filters and Engine Oil, which is a normal service check after buying a used car.

Favorite Features

* Sound of the Engine * Interior Design

2001 Xi Wagon
By ARP

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just passed 245,000 miles and am still using the original clutch, AC compressor, starter, window motors, engine computers and most other parts. With proper maintenance it has been a great car. I average about $300 per month in maintenance but keep it in perfect condition which is far cheaper than buying another new car. At 150,000 the entire suspension was replaced, new brakes and tires. It was like a new car. Still uses no oil, changed every 10K.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Recently plowed a road that had 24" of new snow for about half a mile. Used it like a ram. I was surprised it worked.

Suggested Improvements

Squeaky rear window, fixed only with the volume of the radio. Actually not too bad at all.

BMW's are VERY Over-rated
By shoo

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Found a 2001 BMW 325I with only 34K miles on it! Thought I had found a steal! Found out I was robbed! Had this car less than a year and have had to replace headlight assembly, front grille trim, rear window motor. Oil light comes on randomly! Worst of all, when it rains the interior leaks so bad it would make a great fish bowl! No one can find where it's coming from! Biggest piece of junk I've ever owned! Now I know why it only had 34K miles on it, no one wanted the piece of junk! My first and last BMW!

Favorite Features

Nothing!

Suggested Improvements

Live up to your reputation!