2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews 4

2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
All Beamers are fun to drive!!!
By bmwlover on 11/27/08 20:23 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the 330 convertible with sport and premium pkg. Love the heated seats, BMW doesn't scrimp on anything. This is my 6th one. I always buy manuals. Car has power (my last car was a Porsche) so I know what I'm talking about. Have had to replace power steering pump and the fan changes speeds at it own desire. Ice cold air conditioning when the fan decides to work. Harman Kardon sound system. Top goes up and down quickly and effortlessly. Not as solid as my previous 5 series but safe, beautiful, and a blast to drive top up or down. 21 mpg city and I drive hills daily. Uses 1 qt. synthetic oil every other tank of gas. BMW says this is normal but expensive and excessive,

Average Car
By kawliga on 08/13/08 16:53 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have been buying 325is since '92 and this one is the I've kept the longest. These are fine cars but little things bug you and are expensive to fix. I'm sure I will switch to Honda, can't be any more trouble and a lot cheaper. Just finished a 3000 mile trip and averaged 32.2 with the automatic. I was pleased with that.

2001 330i
By vancerd on 07/01/08 05:39 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Coolest car I have ever owned by a long shot. This car is a rocket, but I can still get 31 mpg on the highway (if I drive the speed limit).

Ultimate 4 place convertible
By ThosEM on 06/02/08 18:30 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Compared with my 1999 Sebring convertible, this car is less expensive to maintain, much more fun to drive, and far better made. Where the Sebring was soft, floppy, and squishy, the 330Ci is solid, firm, and well-damped. And an extra half liter of displacement makes a world of difference in performance. The simple instrumentation harks back to classic sports cars, and so does the hearty sound of the DOHC straight six. Even the starter sound is rapturously robust. The big sport option brakes are simply out of this world, and well worth the brake dust. My only problem in a year and 10k has been the previous owner, who trashed the wheels and control arm bushings on potholes. And what a looker!

Great, if onyl the windows worked
By Joe G on 05/30/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 325i 2001 was a great car to drive, handled the winding road up to Tahoe very well, looked good and sounded awesome. Probably the best driving experience of my life. They really designed it so the driver could hear just enough of the engine to feel like they were driving a sports car. Unfortunately it was all the little features that were crap. Both power windows had to be replaced twice (each) within a 3 year period. After about 4.5 years the electrical component that controlled the car shorted out and the car died in the middle of the highway. Once left the gas cap open and had to go to dealer to reset warning light.

DON'T DO IT !
By TonyRock on 05/09/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is nice looking and fun to drive but if you expect it to be quality you are dead wrong. My coolant tank bursed after 100K which caused my head gasket to break and now the care is basically worthless. If you want to drive this car for a few years and have fun fine. But I wouldn't hold it after 70K miles! Little things go on it all the time. BMW is over rated!

Best car I have ever owned
By frp on 04/22/08 07:04 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, and one of my initial reasons for purchase was the excellent resale value of BMW. However, I immediately decided I was going to keep it at least 10 years! What a fun car to drive! It's comfortable, the MPG is tolerable (esp. with $4/gal premium in Chicago), and it has held up very well over the past 7 yrs. I have heard of E46s from this model year suffering from poor workmanship, but I've not had that with this vehicle. Other than traditional maintenance, I've not had any major failures/repairs. And, yes, maintenance IS pricey, but there are plenty of "foreign car" shops to use.

Performs, but sensors and cold not good
By John on 04/04/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the first 3 years I owned the car, I only needed to change the oil and some minor maintenance, but in Feb of 2007, it was a chilly -20 degrees Fahrenheit and the crankcase vent froze up and it hasn't been the same sense. In fact, it happened again in Jan 2008. I was able to have it brought to BMW who graciously covered $3800 of the $4000 repair bill. Since then, I have had an oil sensor replaced, dipstick brake off and now my rear suspension coil needs to be replaced (not sure how that could have broken). My next car will be a Honda or Nissan..

Love BMWs
By D on 03/24/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 330i since I bought it. The best gas mileage I have ever seen. This is my second BMW. I go typically one full week and two days off of a full tank, using 91 octane. My ultimate goal is to get a 5 or 7 series though. This car handles great at 120 mph plus. Mine is a 5 speed w/ sports pkg. Regretfully, I will have to sell it soon to get an SUV. I would highly reccommend this style for anyone looking to purchase one that has a smaller family and wants a head turner. They are not hard cars to work on. Servicing and tire rotation every 3000 miles help to keep from having any unforeseen problems, but only take to someone you trust to work on.

325Ci, fun but not cheap
By killorhome on 03/16/08 05:40 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Right from start of ownership, several trips to shop (moonroof, front passenger seat, trunk lock, body molding, O2 sensor) thank good covered by new car warranty. Car not aging well. While still looks & drives great, several sensors (MAF,PCV & steering angle) all have gone bad within 1 year. Total expected cost $1600! Not to mention several interior trim pieces (C-pillar liner, both driver/passenger window moldings & the gear shift knob are either broken or falling off!!) I got a feeling I'm getting ready for a major break down & it might be time to sell.