Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 380 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

DON'T BE TEMPTED!!! Turn and run the other way!
By cgo

Do Not buy this car!
I was enamored by the nice look, the safey reputation, and the fun drive of this car.
And despite warnings on this and other review sites, I went ahead and bought it.
I got a used one for $10k.
After a year of in-and-out of the mechanic, and countless $$'s spent on repairs, I finally junked it when the last repair estimate came to $11k.
You would not believe how many "car experts" asked me how stupid I was to buy that car.
Big...waste...of...money!
Please do not buy this car.
Don't be tempted like I was.
You will regret it.
I guarantee.

Ok so far
By scarmydude

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased a used 2004 XC90 in June 2011 with 98,000 miles.
We have 111,000 to date.
Only issue was we had to replace timing belt at dealer suggestion, otherwise normal maintenance. So far it has been trouble free except for routine maintenance.
I hope we got a good one since I plan to keep it for at least another 50,000 miles.

Safety.

Not sure.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By leftatdunkirk

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Up to 95,000 miles and going strong.
Cost more to maintain than my Toyota 4Runner did, but well worth it.
The Toyota always felt like work, while the Volvo feels like home.
You sit on most seats, but sit in these.
Will it easily do 120mph?
Without admitting to anything, I'd have to say yes. The 5cyl turbo is the way to go, as this engine/trans combo seem to be bullet-proof. I test drove this and the Honda Pilot, and am glad our family of six is moving in the Volvo.

Wonderful ride quality. Comfortable seats. Family friendly. Reliability.

None.

Too many problems dont buy
By bob458

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought a used xc90 from volvo. We have averaged a new problem every 2000 miles. Including a breakdown leaving my pregnant wife stranded and now flickering headlights that cant be fixed despite visits to the dealership and throwing money at it. (computers and modules are next on the list) It would be nice if the dealership looked like they knew how to fix what is apparantly a common problem on their vehicles...

So its going to be traded in with a 6 mth loss of 5-6k. Looks pretty but its not engineered well nor built well - certainly not the volvos of old.

Very pretty and cute.

Fix your well known and documented faults......A vehicle with a faulty headlight design is dangerous. Design a car your service departments can fix....not look confused about.

Ticking Time Bomb!!
By dnll360

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my xc90 used and the problems didn't start til about 85k miles. Then I started having to replace wheel bearings, control arms, and ball joints. Then my car hit 100k miles and literally as soon as the odometer rolled over, my driver side headlight went out due to an electrical issue, then the alternator went, battery needed replaced, serpintine belt, timing belt, tempeture gauge housing, crank shaft assembly, and now at 101k miles on my way to look for a new car, my car starts smoking and my turbo blew which on the t6 is a twin turbo. I have been towed 3x in 3 weeks and everytime I go to get rid of it something else goes. I am having it junked and taking a loss on what I still owe.

cheap quality product needs drastic improvement