Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Waited Two Years...
By Dr. Woo

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

In 2004 at the Paris Auto Salon, I sat in a first-run European-spec 2004 VW GTI in Candy White. The quality of the interior and exquisite attention to detail alone convinced me that I had to have one. Two years later, VWoA released it and I picked one up the second day I was back in the States in Tornado Red (as my German friend said, "the only color of the GTI"). The driving dynamics, build quality, and powerful 2.0TFSI engine all combine to make a magnificent driving experience. I have yet to suffer a single problem (knock on wood) with 5,500 miles. I'm lucky to have a wonderful dealer in my area.

The steering wheel and feel, the pull of the engine anywhere on the tachometer, its tossability, the quality and design of the interior, the fuel economy, the styling, the little touches of attention to detail typical of a VW, and of course the price.

Bring over the European-market cloth seats! They're more adjustable, higher quality, and more bolstered. Improve the HVAC (it gets hot in southern GA). Make the center console ashtray liner removable for easy disposal of trash. Do the same for the cupholders for easy cleaning.

Well, I Wanted to like this Car...
By MikeR

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my GTI in June, and I have had nothing but issues with it. The airbag light keeps coming on, which the dealer fixed twice. With the sunroof open, and the windows up, it sounds like a machine gun is being fired in the car...the wind noise is so loud, it is useless to even drive this way. The torque is nice to have down low, but on the highway, I have nothing left in the top end. I wish it had a little more REAL power up top. Also, the car makes a strange metal tapping/rattling noise up front somewhere, and the center dash rattles. All and all, this is what I have come to expect from VW, which is bells, whistles and a whole lot of buyer's remorse.

This car has decent looks, good torque for city driving, but it is weak for open highway stuff.

Improve the quality control. I would take a few less features for some added craftsmanship. I thought the GTI MKV was going to be the next era in VW quality, but they fooled me.

'06 MKV GTI is Terrific
By Mike Harmon

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love the MKV GTI. After driving Hondas for twenty years I feel like I've really gotten lucky. I commute about 60 miles a day at typical California speeds and get about 30 MPG. I haven't had any serious problems with this car either. The turbo on the GTI is really amazing and gets it going fast with the DSG transmission.

The engine, the tranny, the body style, and the build quality.

Add a stock Valentine radar detector.

Fantastic
By LPS

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my fourth VW, and by far the best I have driven to date. It gets excellent gas millage, has tons of torque, has great handling (much better than the MKIV), and has an awesome interior. Do yourself a favor, go test drive one. You will not be disappointed.

The handling, interlagos plaid seats, and torque.

My only gripe is that I have a leaking CV boot with only 5,000 miles on the car.

Only The Best
By JonTewks

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First off, the GTI is definitely not slow. 200 horsepower in a small hatchback runs it in the 1/4 mile in about 14.7. That is a fast car. The styling also does not stink. It has great exterior and interior styling. I love the looks of this car, but that is a personal opinion thing. Last but not least are the seats. I have nothing else to say except my dad has a C6 Corvette and I like my seats better. Besides the fact that you can get plaid, like I did, they are supportive and hold you in the turns.

The engine, DSG (automatic transmission), suspension, seats, styling, and everything else I didn't mention.

Ha ha, how to improve on perfection at this price?