Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Quirky but a blast to drive
By morndew

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is VERY fun to drive. There are a couple spots in the power curve in which it accelerates like it has a nitrous tank. Floor it while doing 20 mph or 60 mph and you'll feel the giddyup. I have had to take the car back to the dealership twice, once to replace the window lifts, which left the window open on a cold November night miles from home. Not fun! There was also a recall on the ignition coil. On cold wet mornings I occasionally experience a reluctance from the motor to get going. This may be more ignition coil problems or something else, I don't know. But when you can drive twisty roads like you're in a go-kart, it's easy to forget the periodic trips to the shop.

Acceleration, handling, and passing trucks on the interstate like they're standing still.

I wish I could trust my GTI not to break down in the future, but I'm not so sure. If you want reliability, get a Honda or Toyota.

Fun Car But.....
By Mike's GTI

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a very fun car to drive. The interior is well laid out and posh. With the 5-speed it's zippy and nimble. There is plenty of room for friends or a trip to local home improvement store. VW needs to improve the electronics in this car. Numerous sensor failures, all of the bulbs in the car have been replaced at least once and the Monsoon head unit shorted out. When the car is in the shop, it's not much fun.

Leaving the SUVs behind when they're trying to bully their way in front of me. Just because it's small, doesn't mean it's slow.

Improve the service. I'm tired of hearing 'I don't know' as an explanation for everything that has failed: brakes @ 14000 miles, oxygen sensor, turbo sensor, Monsoon head unit, battery @ 25 months, etc. I really like this car but it's going to be hard for me to convince my partner to buy another.

Great, But Not Perfect
By Lenny

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Sporty, but versatile; I can just throw my mountain bike inside. I have the 24V version with 200 HP and it's SWEET! Very torquey yet smooth; feels like a much bigger motor. ESP is great and has saved me many times as has the ABS. Stock suspension was way too mushy for me so I lowered the car with Eibach springs, and Koni Sport shocks. Now, handling is a match for the motor at the expense of ride comfort. Only complaints I have are interior squeaks and rattles, and the soft wheels. Already had to replace 2 because of potholes. My Monsoon has been great, but could use better bass.

Motor, styling, hatchback, interior finish, fun to drive.

Better bass response on Monsoon, suspension that matches the motor. Needs better mileage or more power for the given mileage.

The car that breaks down weekly
By felix11111

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

It spends more time at the dealer than
actually runs ;-(

Stay away from VW

Should have bought another BMW
By jennmc3

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My husband has always loved Volkswagen,
until I bought him his first american
version. Major problems began at 3K
miles and have continued ever since.
Replaced all ignition coils (some of
them twice) all before the recall,
replaced secondary air pump 5 times in
the last two years with intervals of
11, 9, 6, and 3 months apart, window
clip recall, monsoon CD broken, seat
handles break off, turn signal indicator
continually falls out. $28,000 for a
true lemon.

Horsepower, when car is functioning.

Volkswagen has taken too many shortcuts, plastic parts, cheap labor, buying parts from so many manufacturers without accountability and not trying to compensate with service, not standing behind product.