Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Like having a pickup
By James Reza

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've always had a pickup and my Rav 4 with all the space you get when you put down the back seats it is almost like having a pickup! Also I can put lumber on top of it and carry it home strapped down. The mileage is excellent. I was getting 13 to 15 miles on my pickup but the RAV 4 gets 20 with the AC on and almost 30s with out the AC on.

Best Car I've Owned
By Carolynn W

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was so very happy with my purchase of a 2008 RAV4 Limited. I purchased it slightly used (5000 miles!) in 2009. I never had a single problem with it, other than having to take care of the manufacturer recalls from Toyota. I had it regularly maintained at the dealer and I was always happy with the service I received there. I had just recently crossed the 100,000 mile mark on it and was ready to drive it another 100,000 miles. Unfortunately, someone decided to run a red light and they totalled my RAV4. It was a side impact and the RAV4 did a wonderful job of protecting me from serious injury. I bought her for her predicted reliability and safety and she earned 5 stars for both. Now I'm having to shop for a new car, and while I do love all the new technology that is out, I will miss all the storage space, the engine, and the reliability of my RAV4. I highly recommend this vehicle as long as you can find a version that was maintained well by the owner.

Really Suprised !
By Anton Tesla

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Having had the car for 3 months now, I'm definitely impressed with it overall. I bought it used with 11300 miles on the odometer and was amazed to get the previous owners Impressive maintenance records ! Regular scheduled service from day one with quality tires, synthetic oil and fluid changes and genuine Toyota replacement parts. It came with a complete 5 tire set of Firestone Destination m+s radials with less the 2500 miles on them !
The handling of this vehicle has been a real treat with the new car handling without the new car sized payment ! Both in town and on the highway, it rides and drives like it is on rails. I've taken it to our camp in Northern NH and was pleasantly surprised by the way it handled our sometimes sketchy access road with its ruts and mud holes. The 4wd pulled nicely and the suspension kept the rolling and pitching to acceptable levels.
The 2.4 4 cyl motor is averaging 22 mpg and it has plenty of power to pull my small utility trailer with either the 4 wheeler or snowmobile on it. The roominess and storage capacity combined with the overall secure feeling the car has while driving it, has me really pleased with the purchase of this Rav4 !
7 months later,
Big surprise at our 1st state inspection ! Both rear coil springs had snapped and jumped up over the top retainer ?? The muffler also had a pin hole ! I called the dealer and asked about our 2 year warranty coverage that we had to purchase to close the sale ? He says those are wear and tear parts, not covered ? GRR !
After 4 " Garage Mechanic " quotes ranging from $1098.99 to $2900.00 for "Dealer only" parts and labor, I about Freaked !!! After a few Strong Toddies and a day or two to cool off, I decided to tackle it myself ! I spent two days surfing for parts and I scored new heavier springs from HD SPRINGS , an Firestone air bag kit and Walker SS muffler for $316.00 !! It took 12 hours for me to swap out old for new. I increased my towing capacity by 1000 LBS and my Rav4 really handles like a new car and tows with No Sag !! LOVIN IT !!

rav 4 bursts into flames
By lmcvey

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my 2008 rav 4....until I hit a deer going barely 25 miles an hour and the car burst into flames.
Luckily, I got out of my car immediately after hitting the deer to inspect the damage. I honestly thought there may be little or no damage based on the minimal impact (airbags didn't go off and there was only a dent in the driver's side headlight area) but the car almost immediately started smoking and then promptly burst into flames. Toyota has been extremely non-responsive to my questions and I would never buy another one.

space

safety ratings, better customer service

Engine replaced at 56K. No more Toyota for me.
By nomoretoyota7

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Sadly, though not my first Toyota, this will be my last.
I had to replace my engine due to a hose failure.
No recall on this part, but they changed the design in 2009.... wonder why...mmm.
I take good care of my vehicles and got regular oil changes.
This has become the most expensive car I have ever owned.
And I bought it because of the Toyota reputation.