Used 2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 436 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (436 reviews )

The Future Today In A Prius!
By Jim Cullen

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I get giddy when people ask about this amazing hybrid car. It simply delivers like no other car. It does all you ask of it and leaves you with smiles & pride in your selection of a new car. Now with 95K miles after over 5 yrs it stands all the tests that other cars cannot. Now, with only a replacement of an hd lt bulb, I look back and realize what dependability is all about. I've saved over $10,000 in gas compared to my SUV I once had. What's even better is that my car looks just like an '09 Prius. This is the car of the future today.

Obviously getting as much as 546 miles to a tank of gas (usually 48-52 mpgs). Great styling. Good sound system and a great conversation piece.

Sunroof would be nice. Light towing capability and more support in seats

A Great Vehicle
By Mark

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just crossed 130K with my Prius and it will be five years old next month. I had done nothing but buy tires and change oil for first 100K. Then I had a rear wheel bearing and now a recent inverter fluid pump. No big deal for 130K. I almost always average over 50 MPG, for life of vehicle probably 51. 53/54 in spring and fall and 50 in winter. I've had maybe 10 tanks less than 50 almost all in the winter and they were usually 48-49. I am not an aggressive driver and I keep it under 70. I commute 30 miles each way each day with about 16 miles on the highway avg about 67. I can beat cruise control on the Prius on long trips by using the hills to my advantage. Over 70 big loss of MPG.

Mileage; reliability; the car is a commodity. Get what you pay for but not a fun, sporty ride, but that's not what a Prius buyer wants.

Needs DRLs, sun slides on visors, a little better info when there is a problem. Also a little longer dashboard would block reflection of speedometer during night driving.

112k miles
By Cris M.

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is still running strong after 112 thousand miles. I've driven it across country, to high altitudes, across tough terrain. Other than basic maintenance and one small recall (and a bit of rear end work after an encounter with a sleepy driver), the only thing we needed to have done was an adjustment to the fuel gauge, which read empty prematurely. I love this car, and plan to order another one within the year!

Gas mileage. Definitely. I usually get about 45 mpg, but it's not uncommon to get 51 on the tank. And this is without a lack of power or interior room!

I said there was no lack of power (and this is true as far as speed and pickup goes), and I know this is asking a lot for a hybrid, but I'd really like to be able to pull a trailer so I could get rid of my minivan.

Good, not great
By M.B.

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is overall well-built. I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. For around $30,000, this car does no better in fuel efficiency than my old 1995 Honda Civic VX hatchback. I once got 65 MPG on a trip in my Honda. The Prius, with all its technology and synergy drive, can't beat the fuel efficiency of a 13 year-old, non-hybrid, 5-passenger hatchback. Above that, the battery packs on this might soon run out. I'm thinking I'll sell this and look for my old Honda.

The egg shape - it's intriguing. I like the interior. It's more roomy than an outside view of the car might hint.

Improve the gas mileage. Make the $30k people spend on this car worth it. A little more 'pick-up-and-go'. My Honda (5-passenger) hatchback got better gas mileage, yet was more peppy than the Prius.

60,000 miles and going strong
By Mike S.

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car is a technological marvel in a very practical package. Bought new, it's been very reliable for 60,000 miles. It's no sports car, but is faster than it seems because the CVT is so smooth that your speed builds without your noticing it. Lifetime avg. 49.9 mpg driving smoothly, 53 mpg at steady 65, with or without the AC running. Not quite so comfortable or quiet as our old Camry, but still very good. Build quality is very impressive. No problems to date. Definitely the best car I've ever owned. Love the hatchback layout. There's lots of room, but the rear seat is too narrow for three across unless one is a child.

Great MPG, hatchback layout, display screen, styling, build quality. The continuously variable transmission is a gem! Really the heart of the Toyota hybrid system, and much superior to the Honda system. Batteries warranted for 150,000 mi. in California.

A-pillars impede outward, visibility. The multi-function display could be used to give the driver much more information, the actual gas gauge is not very accurate. The hybrid system would work even better if the battery were made a bit larger.