Used 2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 436 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (436 reviews )

Bad!
By Jessie D

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I owned this car for three and a half years, used about 60,000 miles and it was awesome until it rained, snowed or was windy at all. I felt completely unsafe, and scared during any storm or driving on snow. The seats were decently sized, but hard as rocks. The gas mileage was the reason I bought it, and that stayed true to what was said about how great it was. I ended up buying a Honda SUV because this car scared me so much to drive even on a sunny day with lots of wind. I now feel so much safer, and would never purchase another small Toyota again.

Touch screen, storage room, trunk size, looks from the outside, "futuristic" effects of the design.

Lack of power, bad in wind, rain or snow, unsafe during weather, seats are hard, many shops did not know how to get the "maint. needed" sign to turn off after getting an oil change.

117000 miles on my Prius
By Barry

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have an 04 Prius with 117000 miles on it. In the earlier years I had all the problems with the car stalling or not wanting to keep going, but Toyota finally resolved those issues with software upgrades and recalls. For the past 3 years I've had no problems. At 112000 miles I needed a new water pump, but otherwise I've had no mechanical issues. The battery is fine. I drive exclusively on local roads, 40 miles each way to work, and get 48 mpg during the winter (New Hampshire winters are brutal) and am now getting 57 mpg in the Springtime. The car gets significantly less gas mileage if I only use it for short hops (5-10 miles) or if I drive on the highway.

Great gas mileage.

The AM radio stinks.

Best Car I've had in 73 years
By Jim & Danae Michael

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car to be green, save on gas and replace the gas guzzling Buicks we had. We had a friend who had a 2001 and let us drive it. We were sold. Our 2004 Prius is the best car we have ever owned. The only thing that went wrong was the fairly expensive starter battery which was replaced by the dealer for $212. Not bad for a four-year automotive parts and repair bill!

The radio is great! Heater and A/C work excellently. The folding back seats are wonderful. This car is well-built and engineered. It has a strong feeling of solidarity and is fairly quiet on the freeway. Smart Entry and Ignition are indispensable

The only thing we would wish for is a dash display emblem that would tell us when the Parking Lights are on and an indicator showing how well-charged the starter battery is or if if needs replacing.

Love my Penguin Prius in snow !
By ed

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought a used Prius w/ 116,000 miles on it + got a pretty good deal. Took it to work all w/e in heavy 2-day Boston blizzard as I am a nurse + can't call in sick or take snow days. It was surprisingly great in the snow + exceeded all expectations. It is no snowplow but got me through it. The car is a wonder of technology + if @ 1st a little overwhelming it grows on you quick!

Gas mileage is awesome, very quiet & efficient, the MFD is cool + you can turn it off when you get sick of it.

Nothing really; the dash is a bit dark @ nite. The shifter is very different but I'm getting used to. Battery is supposed to last forever, I hope so !

PRIUS -- THE ONLY HYBRID
By daveb

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have logged 140K miles in five years, averaging 45+ mpg. The greatest feature of the car is its rock solid reliability - it still has the original brakes. I like the car so much I just purchased a new 2009. This car may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it fits my lifestyle - plenty of room for my family of 4 and the hatchback makes it useful for those occasional runs to Lowe's or Home Depot. It is a well engineered vehicle that has retained it rock solid feel over the many miles that it has traveled.

Smart Key. It's a real pain to drive anything else that requires me to fish a key out of my pocket. The video display of mileage over the past five minutes and currently is thoughtful and tends to temper your driving habits to achieve maximum mpg.

The new 2009 includes some of the features lacking in 2004, such as leather seats, but would still like to have heated seats and telescoping steering wheel. These two features would put the car on par with my wife's RX hybrid.