Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

An Excellent Car with some flaws
By Jay

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Matrix with 4WD from a dealership that purchased it from the original owner. The car had about 60k miles on it when I bought it and over the course of 4-years, and ending up selling it with just shy of 200k miles. I rated it 4-stars, but would have rated it 4.5 stars if that were possible on this site. The car was incredibly reliable the entire time I owned it, only needing to do standard maintenance and repairs the entire time (brakes, oil, fluids, one battery replacement, and tires). The only mechanical issue I has was a defective wheel baring that made a terrible noise when I drove it, but I ended up forgoing this repair and selling it as is with this issue. I also replaced the radio which started having issues as well. But outside that everything worked great the entire time I owned the car. My main issue with this car is how underpowered it felt. I always had issues merging into traffic with it due to poor acceleration. The car really struggled to maintain its speed over 80mph, especially if there was any sort of incline. I feel like if this car had an extra 30HP it would have gone a long way in resolving this issue. My other complaint involves the 4WD system which didn't feel as grippy and stable in slippery situations as it should for having 4WD, but it still did never well in snow and rain. Other than that, this was one of the best cars I ever owned and only sold it to upgrade to a new car. I'd highly recommend this car!

longest car ever owned
By MWhite

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The sheer reliability of this little car is the best reason to own it. We bought it in 2006 and just traded it in a few days ago. No major problems, low maintenance cost, it never let me down!

Best Car Ever!!!!!!!!!!
By Diane

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about my Pontiac Vibe! Has never given me a day of trouble. I religiously change the oil at 3,000 miles and all filters when needed. I have now 167,000 miles on this car. I brought it in for an oil change and mechanic asked if I wanted a tune up. I said you can check it. The result was, he said it didn't need one, the engine never skipped a beat. I changed the front rotors at 100,000 miles! Dropped a cheap battery in since it was new. I will be changing the muffler soon. That's it! It just keeps running like new. I love this car. Anyone complains about the drivability and acceleration are malcontents. What do they think its supposed to be a race car. The body has also held up well and it has never been garage kept. Can't beat this car!

Converted my Base Model Matrix
By Jimmy

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car last year from an owner in Irvine, CA. It was bone stock, I didn't like the way it looked because it's a base model. The car did not come with rocker panels, rear bumper nor front bumper lip. I want to give a shoutout to Toyota for "prewiring" this car, meaning all modifications can be installed because there are wires hidden inside the chassis. You just have to find them. I was able to install OEM power mirrors, cruise control on my steering wheel, fog lights, and the 115v inverter. Really happy that finding parts was not a difficult task because the Matrix shares OEM parts with the Pontiac Vibe and the 9th gen Corollas. If you guys have any questions or want to know more about installations for this car, please join our "Toyota Matrix Enthusiasts/Owners page" on Facebook! Thanks for reading! 10/9/17, So here's an *UPDATE* on what I did to my Matrix. I replaced the stock suspension with lowering springs from Progress (drops 2.2 F and 2.2 R), bought a rear bumper with spoilers and rocker panels from a crashed XR, replaced the clear tail lights with the 03-04 OEM Red tail lights, OEM mudguards, and a Rhino Roof Rack. There's so much more I want to do on this car but I have to learn to save money before spending. Next installation: 03-04 XR front bumper.

The zippiest little Toyota!
By John Appleton

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We have a 2006 Toyota Matrix XRS. It is a rare trim of Matrix, not a lot were built. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned. We have the 6 speed manual, because it is just simply more fun in the XRS. We have done 0-60 m.p.h. in 6.5 seconds! That's crazy fast for this kind of car. My only complaint is the rear seat cushion comfort. Not bad but not the best. Front are amazing. Maybe a leather option ? Great car!!