Used 2006 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

NO MORE TOYOTAS
By J.Robbin and Teresa Hajek

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Our Corolla is sitting in the driveway with the hood up,AGAIN.Won't start ,new fuel pump not working (this is the third pump in less than 130,000 miles)Relay,pump, ECU?Mechanic getting balder.Dvd quit working,engine light always on/off/on.Airbag light on.Dealer has us on a list to replace recalled airbag(it's been several months now,no word)Dealership deaf,no help.ECU indicated transmission problems,mechanic says transmission is OKAY,ECU faulty.Dealership says our car only on recall for the airbag.Moisture in right front headlamp.Some plastic interior parts broken.My wife says NO MORE TOYOTAS.

Love my 'Yota!!
By Sandy Snide

2006 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Corolla CE new in 07/2006. 134,000+ miles on it and engine and AT still great! Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace a wheel bearing, brake caliper, shoes and pads, and front rotors. Of course, here in Maine we have lots of frost heaves and potholes to break for so I guess that explains it. My baby goes great in snow with all season radials and I've never gotten stuck anywhere except in my yard when we had 6 inches of crust. Love the roomy trunk! Recently, the clock works only intermittently and is driving me nuts, but I guess I can deal with that. I was nearly T-boned by a Jeep one day but floored it and got almost out of his way. He hit me on the back of the rear passenger side fender/bumper. I was surprised to see that the only damage to my car was a small piece broken out of the bumper. Gas mileage is great! Tires seem to wear fast even with regular rotation, but that may just be the tires. I honestly expect I'll get well over 300,000 miles out of this car, which I purchased for Toyota's reliability and longevity. I do wish the paint was better though - it chips very easily. All in all, it's a great car and I would recommend this car to anyone!

I will never buy another Toyota
By neveragaintoyo

2006 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new after 2004 Toyota Corolla S had manual transmission failure. This car then had manual transmission failure under warranty. Then the ECM was recalled, failed and was replaced. Then the transmission failed again and out $3500.Then the ECM failed after one year so no warranty and out $700. Will never buy another Toyota again.

I loved how it would just randomly stop in intersections due to the bad ECM while my teenage daughter was driving. Then I really loved how it would fail NYS inspections due to check engine light on for bad charcoal canister. My favorite part was the ECM failing after being replaced under the recall but out of the one year warranty so now it is $700 to replace. Go Toyota!

Stand behind your products and replace a bad ECM if you put a bad one in. Try to build a manual transmission that doesn't fail. Build a car that runs.

No Regrets
By ronfromla

2006 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car, a 2006 in 2011 with 38,470 miles. The dealer had put some junk tires on it, so I immediately replaced them with Goodyear Eagles. I have had no problems with car, None. Zip. Nada. I use Mobil1 and Mobil1 filter and go 75000 miles between changes, and bought a battery also, even though it was not giving me trouble it was original, 5 years old so I pre-emptive avoided any problems. Starts first time, every time, on just a couple turns of cranking, even in 0°F. I overpaid a bit, but oh well, still no regrets. Absolutely no peers ij reliability, and I disagree about 'not fun to drive'. One time on a long trip I got 41mpg. Perfect blend of power and economy.

Decent audio system and ABS, torsion bar rear suspension

Put a trunk open button on remote fob

Can't Complain
By lfas

2006 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This Corolla was a replacement for 2004 Civic which I felt was underpowered and delicate. Purchased pre owned with 75k three years ago, now have approximately 94k. In this time of much improved domestics like the Cruze, Sonic, Focus, and Fiesta, I've stopped considering Corollas as a compact choice anymore. My ex-wife now owns this car as part of the marriage settlement; I drive a Sonic, and am loving it...ebb and flow :-)