Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 249 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Runs like a champ!
By G.R. Johnson

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our second 4 Runner. After putting 110K miles on the 1998 model, I sold it to a friend (still had the original brakes) and we ended up buying a new 2005 4 Runner Limited. I have 175K on it and just ran into the first real problem which was an air conditioning component. They're great vehicles provided you keep up with the prescribed maintenance which is not a big deal. In addition to driving it to work, hunting / fishing trips and family vacations, it's also survived time at two university's. Although it has always comes home dirty, it just keeps going........... Overall it's pretty comfortable, rides well for it's age and dependable as hell. Has lived up to it's reputation as tough and long lasting!

Don't Buy A TOY!
By PCS

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is primarily my wife's vehicle and she was reasonably happy with it until she broke it! She performed an emergency stop and the transfer case exploded!!! $3200 later she is back on the road but we now treat this like the TOY it is. This is the third AWD vehicle that has been in our family and the first that she managed to break. There were only 51,000 miles on the vehicle at the time but it was too old for any warranty claim. We approached Toyota USA and they made it clear they were not interested. So we lost interest in replacing our BMW X5 with A Lexus in light of this. We are now trying to decide if the TOY goes before the older BMW.

i am in mourning...my v8 4 runner totalled
By Heartbroken

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love, love, loved my trusty 4 runner. I had it since new never had one single issue in the 11 tears I owned it. owned a 1994 with v6 before that. trusty no problems but no "oomph" so I sold it. My insurance refused to pay for the repairs on the v8 caused by a sandwich collision caused by a CHP vehicle ( cost to repair was 10.6k) was easily driveable after the accident just looked like total crap and didn't want to risk taking it as salvage plus cash.It had only 68k miles on that reliable gutsy v8. Don't like the new model at ball; too boxy and smaller/more cramped feeling interior than the old one.. Been searching for a replacement but truly, nothing compares.

Best vehicle I have ever owned..
By Cameran Dalili

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely bullet proof, you cant kill this thing. The Toyota 4-Runner is the greatest Sport utility vehicle ever.

Possibly the best SUV ever made. Go with the V8!!!
By Big Mark

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second 4Runner. My last one was a 2001, which in my opinion, is the best looking 4Runner made. The difference in some of the designs, especially getting away from the horrible ball joint design of the third gens, is a huge difference. The extra room is great for when the whole family is coming along or if you need to fill the back with stuff. The V8 is an amazing engine. I think it's the perfect balance of power/performance and gas mileage. Mileage isn't great by any stretch, but the power is worth it. I bought a V8 4X4 sport a few months ago with 186K miles. It drives and runs perfect. 4Runners build quality is like no other SUV. Both of the Runner's I've owned, the other had over 210K, have been solid and have never had issues. Only routine maintenance. I will drive this one until it literally falls apart or they put a V8, diesel or standard tranny in a new generation. The only thing I would change on my 4Runner are the HVAC controls. Adjusting the temp takes too long, everything else, they knocked out of the park.