Used 2002 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Nickel n dimer
By wantastang302

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

After almost 6 years and 55k miles I have replaced almost everything on the vehicle except the engine. Not exaggerating. Wish I was. Purchased with 94k miles and just turned 150k. If I didn't love the car so much I would have sold it for a Mustang. Have a decent amount of mods and heavy suspension upgrades. Everything that broke on the car I replaced with high performance parts. I drive this
car HARD Daily.
Throw 6 inches of snow at this car and it's useless although it's dry weather fun makes up for it. This is NOT a reliable commuter. Missed more days of work than I'd like to think about being stuck with this car. Will not buy another when I tire of this one.
*new* ok so I was asked to update my review! My Nissan hasn't run for about 7 months now. I have a 14 Elantra I use for work transportation and pleasure. Not as fast and fun to drive as the spec v but way more reliable. I wanted to sell the Nissan but it actually died when I was just trying to let it run a few minutes so the battery wouldn't die. Might need a computer who knows. Gotta fix n sell pronto.

I LOVED MY SENTRA
By vwispos

2002 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my sentra, so fun to drive and it never left me stranded. I've seen some bad reviews but mine was absolutely flawless. Inexpensive and great on gas. I flipped it 3 times and it still cranked right up. (of course it was totaled though)

interior and relibility

seats could have been a little more comfortable but I still liked the interior.

Spec-V 02
By spec_v_d

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This is the second 02 spec-v i have owned. The first was just crap but it was because of the original owner treated it like crap... previous owner was a young girl who did not know how to drive a stick. Now i got another and it had the new motor, tranny, and clutch installed by nissan due to recall on the original motors. Car has about 50k miles on it and i couldnt love it more. I have owned lots of tuner cars and i must say this is by far my favorite. Handles great, amazing power for the 4 banger. I have a few mods to the car nothing to crazy just cold air, exhaust, and suspension. gets pretty good gas milage could be better though. All in all i give this car a 4.7 out of 5

Change the headers as soon as possible! dont cheap out get the hotshots. Also be sure to locktight most of the engine bolts... had a few want to come lose.

Don't even think to buy this car
By denis18

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

In 3+ years I owned this car I had nothing but problems with engine. The Idle Control Valve, the Engine Control and the ignitions coils went down several times. The engine stalled many times, which makes this car very unsafe to drive. By the end A/C was down too. Never buy any Nissan again

I am done with NISSAN
By 2002sentragxe

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 02 Nissan Sentra GXE in Dec of 2001 from our local dealer in Petaluma California. At the time, we also considered Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla but ended up with the Nissan because the interior of the Sentra looked much better than the rest.
Big mistake!
Our Nissan was ok for the first several years but it started falling apart as soon as it hit 100k.
Everything from faded paint to the on board computer (ECM) went out at a cost of $700.
Next the transmission went out as well as the seatbelts and etc...
Now I understand why people buy Toyota's.
Meanwhile, a friend of ours has a 02 Corolla with 200k and it's still running strong.