Used 2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used S-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Excellent ride incredible mpg

bob494, 08/15/2012
S350 BlueTEC 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

This S350 is smooth powerful and fun to drive. I have 6,000 miles on mine and it's the bast car I have ever owned including other Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi models. Interior is well laid out with all controls within easy access. My car gets 37 MPG on the highway and I am averaging over 31 MPG in mixed city and highway driving. 4 Matic works great in the rain or snow as well. This truly an exceptional ride, but be aware of expensive options as they are way over priced.

Rough start to a great ride

jlightfoot, 12/21/2011
S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

At 570 miles the pulley on the alternator wore a hole in the bottom radiator hose. I was 450 miles from home in west Texas. The dealership took a hose off a new car on the showroom floor to get me on the road, however it turned out the water pump had an incorrectly formed flange. The nearest water pump was 10 days away in Germany. They rented me a car to finish my journey. Once the new water pump came in and the old one was replaced the dealer I bought the car from in Dallas sent a truck 250 miles west to pick up the repaired vehicle, haul it 450 miles back east to my driveway. The service was incredible and Mercedes has my highest praise. Just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to Minnesota.

Serenity Now

yossarian7, 03/17/2015
S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I recently traded in a 2011 BMW 535ix, which I found to be one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever owned, on a 2013 S550, which is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. The car is absolute serenity to drive. No wind noise; no engine noise; no tire noise. The V8 is 430hp/520lb-ft of pure butter. Sure, the car is big and heavy, but it carries its heft very well and it does not claim to be the ultimate driving machine (whereas the BMW did, and it was far from it). The S550's adaptive air suspension is more butter, and it keeps the car stable and level, even during spirited driving.

Probably the best sedan I have driven! Hands down

Peter, 01/16/2019
S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Easy to see the attention to detail in every aspect of the 2012 S550 sedan. From the beautiful roomy interior design to the smooth powerful performance of the V8 engine. This car stands alone form other luxury sedans like BMW and Audi. Mercedes has the most beautiful paint finish on the high end sedans, deep luster and quality that stands out from the rest. Can’t think of owning anything less!

Ridiculously Overpriced! (until you drive it)

Miketnsa1, 01/27/2019
S350 BlueTEC 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

To describe the 2012 S350 Bluetec in a Word: VAULT! Sit behind the wheel and grab the substantial oversized door handle and close the door, you will instantly notice the extreme muting of outside noise, and your eyebrow will raise. When you place your hands on the oversized wooden steering wheel, you'll grin. Because you've never felt a more substantial steering wheel in your life! When you grab the heavy and substantial "Command Controller" you'll think MY GOSH, this thing feels like solid metal. Good Reason...It is! Keep in mind, you still have yet to even start the car...Underway, the butter smooth Bluetec and 7speed feels more like an ultra smooth V12 Jaguar XJS of old. You'll question how a tiny 3.0L V6 could move this 5,000lb tank so effortlessly! It's Air Suspension floats this S Class like a huge Buick Road Master from a different ERA...It's Quiet and Smooth like a Lexus LS, except much quieter and much smoother...And @ 40+MPG! (if you set cruise at 60mph) it's simply the best highway cruiser at any price! We thought our 2012 ML350 Bluetec SUV was nice till we drove the S350...Everything in our ML feels cheap now, (switches etc) and what we thought was smooth quiet ride is now unacceptable. It's obvious that Mercedes pours EVERYTHING into the S-Class and makes it back by skimping on their lesser models. We now fully understand why an S Class is 6 figures, and would buy a 2021 S350 Oil Burner Bluetec today if we could! We now have approximately 75,000mi and we STILL love our S-350! I pretty much sits in the garage until it's time for road trip. And she'll still return 34mph@ 85-90mph with three full sized adults and a trunk full of luggage, (course you'd never know with the air ride/air leveling suspension) WARNING: Don't buy an S Class out of factory warranty unless you find an honest competent Ex-Mecedes Technician on the side... The S350 will make you feel like a Million Bucks when you drive her, but when you return to the Dealer out of warranty it will cost you a Million Dollars! Try this on for dealer prices: $2,700 for and alt...$7,500 for an oil leak... I ended up screaming and the dealer came down the $1,900 for the alt and dropped to $2,500 for the oil leak... And I'd imagine a good non-dealer service center could beat these prices by 25%... Oh, after that I called for after market warranty prices and the BEST I found was $8,500 for 2yrs. Would I buy the Bluetec all over again? Without question!