2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

$53,700

Save as much as $4,150
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Luxurious, Techy, but a miss in some areas

JT, 12/08/2019
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Overall opinion: I would not buy this car again. I purchased the Mercedes GLE 350 in April, and have put about 6000 miles on it. I waited to write this review to ensure I was being fair with my criticism. Pros: It looks great on the outside, and has very nice comfort amenities including ventilated and massaging front seats, and heated and cooled front cupholders. The main selling point for me was the two large integrated digital touch screens (12.3 inches each) that you use for everything from navigation, to music selection, to personalized setting selections within the car. It is very much like a touch-pad in its abilities, which is the reason I purchased this particular model over others (pre-2020 models did not have the touch capability, and required you to click with a mouse like item on the center console). The technology and sound systems within the car are all top notch with extreme customization. Cons: The built in navigation system, while visually stunning in its detail, is awful. I don't use android auto (for an optioned-out $75k car, you shouldn't have to plug in your phone and use Google Maps) and the navigation routinely grossly over- or underestimates the journey time and best route (if it even finds your location, which about 50% of the time it does not). Also, it often "arrives" at the destination in the middle of a four lane divided highway when your true destination is off a side road in a plaza. If you are used to more detailed explanations from apps like Google maps or Waze, you will not like this navigation system. The Voice Assistant program is frustrating. We have a divided house on this. I hate it, my wife finds it helpful. I think having the activation tied to a word ( 'Mercedes') is nice, but it routinely turns on during conversations in the car (because it mis-hears words that it thinks sound like 'Mercedes', then your conversation is interrupted while you are shouting cancel at the system!). It doesn't have an acceptable level of comprehension, and it is much easier to type the destination in (if you aren't using Google, which you should use instead). I have the voice assistant shut off on my profile. My wife likes it because she often makes hands-free phone calls, can ask it to change the temperature, radio station, etc. The design for storage in the front of the car is terrible. The placement of the wireless charger is too inaccessible to be convenient, so the cupholders are the only real space to put everything you need - phone, drink, keys, hand sanitizer, etc. it is not well designed. The lack of USB plugs is baffling (there are zero) and having to keep the adaptors handy is inconvenient every time you need to charge a device. The lack of running boards. Unless you build the exact car you want prior to purchase, most dealers won't include this as an option for any GLEs on the lot. For my wife who is about 5'4", getting in this car can be challenging. The first few few weeks of owning this car she pulled her groin trying to get in/out of the vehicle at this height, and has even fallen out of the car. The Early Collision Warning system is a great technological addition to the vehicle, but there seems to still be a lot of "kinks" that need worked out. I've had to adjust the sensitivity several times but there is still a high number (5 or 6 instances in 7-8 months) where I'll be sitting at a red light and all the sensors surrounding the vehicle turn red, and the warning sound blares for no reason. There was also a time when I was driving down a highway and the system registered the shadow on the road from an overhead highway sign as a car in front of me and slammed on the brakes. It was quite scary, as there was a car behind me at the time, but thankfully no accident occurred. Obviously driving across shadows is a regular occurrence, so I'm not sure what caused that particular issue, but that's the same problem with the other times with the sensors going off when there is not any obstruction there; we were not able to determine what the causation was. Overall, the car isn't terrible, it just has several irritating features that don't allow you to enjoy driving it, which is very disappointing for a $75k Mercedes. Most of these features you would not notice during a short test drive.

I wouldnt buy this car again.

Scqombothi, 11/21/2019
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

The day I picked up my car I got a service to return for service. I had to drop my new GLE back to fix it. A couple of weeks later the rear windshield wiper came off. A month or so later I got a recall. The wires in the engine had been wound too tight. I had to take my car back for 24 hours to fix. Today I got another recall. Apparently the trim on the back windows can come off while driving and cause an accident. When I called to take in my car for the recall I mentioned to the receptionist that this is my 3rd recall. Her reply : yep, we are sending a lot of recalls these days, This is my 3rd Mercedes. My experience with my GLE is turning me off generally on Mercedes.

Comfortable SUV but some flaws

Nino B. , 05/25/2020
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I had the GLE 350 for three full days as a loaner car while my S550 was at the dealership for extended maintenance. The GLE design is handsome and interior is very well laid out. The SUV is surprisingly quick for having just an in-line 4 cylinder engine. The interior lighting borders on gaudy making it look like you’re in a cheap nightclub. Ride was floaty over bumps in the highway. Tried to compensate using sport mode setting but it still was bouncy. Road noise could have been better since the loaner wore cooper tires. Michelin’s would be better in my experience. Surprised to see mercedes use mini USB ports for phone chargers. Had to use the cigarette lighter to charge my iPhone. Phone location on dash is not the best. It’s slotted underneath the center dash stack. Better location is in front of the center console but hard to route charging cord there. MBUX system took some took some time to get familiarize. Liked the options to change display appearance. After a while it didn’t matter and was just a difference in colors being displayed. Birdseye camera view was cool. The front end camera was buggy at times when exiting driveway. Rather than turn off to see navigation map it stayed on. Also, the keyless touch door handle is less responsive than the one on my s-class. Ride was like floating on a firm cloud but seat became uncomfortable during long rides. The seat is bolstered too much in the front corners. I could not get as good a seating position as my s-class. Overall it’s a really nice vehicle and compelling choice for an upscale SUV.

GLE 350 4 cylinder sluggish

John Moore, 11/29/2019
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

A pricey new entry in a crowded up-scale SUV field

Confidential, 02/10/2020
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Nice new styling and great digital technology. But vinyl seats on an upscale vehicle? (Suddenly, a $65k car becomes a $75K car.) The base engine is a bit piggy for this beefy vehicle. The dealer advertised a misleading, low price and would not honor the ad. Experience from 2 separate dealers: they are somewhat snooty. I bought a nicely-equipped Audi Q7 at a much lower price.

Best Overall

Toni from Boise, 07/05/2019
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I wanted a quiet car that performed well and has a long-standing reputation for excellence. The GLE 350 has amazing technology and the easiest navigation system I have ever used.

Worth the money!

BestCarDeals, 03/25/2020
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Previously, before owning this Mercedes, I had owned a BMW X5. After my X5 became very old, I decided to try the GLE, thinking that is was excellent value compared to other vehicles in its segment such as the Range Rover Sport and Porsche Cayenne. My Mercedes had quite a few options, eventually coming out to 75,000 dollars including taxes. The GLE offers the same, if not more impressive amount of luxury, comfort, and tech for a much more affordable price. To rephrase what I said, a solidly equipped GLE 350 would be the same price if not cheaper than a base model of the Range Rover Sport or Porsche Cayenne. The GLE is also more practical than both of those vehicles, offering optional 3rd row seating which comes with a power adjustable second row seat, something that the Porsche and Range Rover does not even offer. Now, you may be thinking, what about the BMW X5? The BMW X5 definitely drives better than the Mercedes, with sharp handling and a more powerful engine. However, in terms of tech, features, and luxury the BMW does not even come close to terms with the Mercedes. To add on, the BMW also has a starting price of $5,000 more than the Mercedes, and although that may not seem like a lot it does make a difference once you add optional equipment. Reliability has alos been one of the factors that I considered when buying this SUV, and to be quite frank, I have had 0 problems with it so far, and when compared to its other competitors such as the Range Rover Sport, which has always had a reputation for poor reliability, the Mercedes seems like a more sensible purchase.

All the safety features takes all the fun out

Canes, 11/04/2019
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Beautiful car but all the safety features take the fun out of driving the car. The car will slow you down if it thinks you getting too close with the car in front of you. I have seen the pros and the cons in that and i would be nice if there was a setting to turn some of those features off. Today a freaking Nissan Rogue smoke me and I saw their tail lights, all because of this car slowing me down when the sensors feel a car or object is too close. The sensors are too sensitive for my liking. Might as well make it a driver-less car. I think this will be my last Mercedes.

Most technologically advanced SUV - MB

NOLA Guy, 06/23/2019
GLE 350 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

This SUV is terrific! I wanted a MB - and glad I waited. This is the most technologically advanced SUV. The ride is smooth, the 4-banger has lots of power (particularly in the sport mode), cabin quite, and has all the bells, whistles and luxury that you would expect from a MB. I am so happy with this SUV - folks always look over to see what I am driving. It is most certainly great for taking the dog to the groomer - so much room for my Giant Schnauzer so that he can be comfortable and enjoy the ride. Love the ability to control everything on the touchpad or the screen or even the steering wheel. Great appointments and large room for a family to take a long ride. I cannot stop wanting to drive my SUV everywhere! Definitely a vehicle to check out!

GLE 350 4 cylinder sluggish

James william, 01/30/2020
GLE 350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

The Interior is nice and unique and upscale. However the 4 cylinder is very sluggish and disappointing even around town, and you can feel the lack of power. Mercedes really blew it by offering a 4 cylinder for a SUV of this size. MB should drop the 4 cylinder and only offer the 6 cylinder. [HTML removed]

51050