Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

I'm done with it
By steve

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle spends more time in the shop than it does on the road. I think they have a sensor that goes off at 37K miles that permits every functional system to go wrong with the car. I have spent $2500 in the past 16 months (given - tires & brakes were $900 of it) and I have little confidence that the end is near. This is the second Jeep I have owned & I have no idea why I was so stupid to buy another one. From here on out, I will only buy Toyota or Honda vehicles. American cars are just not worth the headache.

None.

Blow these cars up & start over. Sell the company to a Japanese manufacturer and be done with it.

staller!
By dan

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Extremely comfortable, but terrible car overall. I should have listened to the reviews before I bought it - it kept stalling on me, the dealers don't know what to do, and it's too late to declare it a lemon. What a terrible vehicle - BEWARE! Chrysler/Jeep has not completely worked out all the kinks in this car, most importantly with the engine. This car is extremely dangerous to drive - I stalled out once on the highway and once in the middle of traffic, other times at the bank or while turning to park my car. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE - the ridiculous maintenance fees are bad in themselves, but even worse when they don't fix the problem.

Comfort, cd player, heated seats, sunroof.

Get a good engine. No really, this one is terrible and if I could, I would sue Chrysler/Jeep for allowing me to drive around in a car that could have gotten me killed if it hadn't been for the brakes in the car behind me. What a horrible car.

"Cheap" Grand Cherokee
By Jimmy

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, this car was the worst one we ever bought. The brake rotors warped within 8 months of driving it out of the lot, the air conditioning is hot in the summer, but the heating is marginally good in winter. The fan relay went at 38k miles. The fog light on-indicator burned out at 39k miles and one of the power outlets doesn't work. At 33k miles the seatbelt failed to retract. The car floats all over the road. The tilting steering wheel jumps out of its last position when you go over a bump. Do not, whatever you do, by a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. I wouldn't say it's trail rated---I would say it's "fail" rated.

Heated seats are very hot, stereo system if very good, and front seats are comfortable. Radio Data System is helpful on long trips. The optional trip computer is also a nice attraction on long trips, along with the comfy highway drive. It's all good until you step on the brakes at 70 MPH.

Fix every problem listed in the review, upgrade the engine to more than 230 horsepower; standard. The Kia Amanti has more HP than the Jeep right now. Make fuel economy better as well. If Toyota and Honda can do all these things, why cant CHRYSLER, DODGE, and JEEP?

Loved it...until it kept stalling on me!
By shay

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car and loved it for several months, until the engine started to give me problems. It stalled 3 times - the dealer "fixed" it, but I stalled 2 more times, this time in the middle of traffic. The dealership had my car for two weeks and found nothing wrong with it. Now I have to get another car, even though I've had this for only 10 months. I'm very disappointed - I loved this car, but it is extremely unreliable, and the service i DID NOT receive from the dealership was terrible. All 3 local dealerships are terrible - I will most likely never get another Jeep. The Carfax report I paid for said nothing was wrong with that - I blame that on the dealership i bought it from!

The entire car - sunroof, hitch, 10 cd changer in back, audio dials on steering wheel, leather, heated seats, comfortable back seat, great audio reception, homelink garage door buttons, superior level of comfort, especially for 8 hour drives.

Terrible service, terrible gas mileage (only 15.5 mpg), and extremely unreliable. Jeep had better do something to improve their reputation!

Love My Jeep
By C Sims

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love everything about my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has all the room we need and is very well designed. This Jeep has been my dream vehicle. I have 64K miles now and it is still going strong. I choose the 2 wheel drive, because we already have 2 other 4WDs in the family. I usually trade vehicles when I need tires, but never plan on trading my Jeep. You will not be sorry with this vehicle.

Fun to drive, sits you up high enough for us short people. Great looking vehicle.