Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

not reliable
By Chuck

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Most disappointing was the reliability. Five or six times in the last year the vehicle has not cranked and the shop was not able to locate the problem. Last week the passenger window stuck in the down position and cost $500 to repair. For a vehicle less than four years is this is not acceptable. I will be looking at a different make in the future.

I liked the seat warmer and the maneuverability. I found the braking to be good.

I had problems with the starter. The passenger window broke without a lot of use. The seat warmer had a recall.

Pain to drive
By Bstephens

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a great looking car. I can also say that it's one of the most difficult cars to drive that I've ever driven. It's hard to keep it on the road when you're driving along at 75 mph with a tractor trailer passing you. It will blow you off the road. Buy the Pathfinder. I wish I had. The wife said this car looked more sophisticated. The Pathfinder would have been more secure. I know because I've driven them. If you want to feel safe taking a turn don't drive this car. Looks great, horrible ride.

Exterior looks, quality of dashboard plastics.

Body roll.

Pretty Good, So Far
By jefjensen

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I chose the Grand Cherokee over rival suvs for value and perceived "heavier duty". For the last three years, it's been a good performer. I'd like better gas mileage (getting about 17-18 MPG in mixed driving with six cylinder). No major repairs. Dislikes: $200 cost to drain/refill differentials; significant rust on all lower window sill trim. I've noticed the sill trim rust on virtually every Grand Cherokee I've looked at with the same body style as mine. Replacement Dunlop Radial Rover tires much, much better than oem Goodyear Wrangler ST for traction and handling, although I think I may have lost some fractional MPG. Manual 4x4 lever takes considerable effort to move, although it's not a major flaw.

Shift on the fly 4x4, firm seating, "solid" feel on road, good clearance. Great for family ski outings with aftermarket roof rack (Yakima).

As per above, window sill trim rust; lower maintenance differentials, all-terrain tires instead of "street" radials should be standard.

could be better
By Mario

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fan belt broke in 6 months after purchasing the Jeep, heater control panel broke down after a year, the brake pads broke within a year. When I keep bringing back my Jeep for repair, the service department is not very receptive to customers.

Comfortable ride,very good during winter storm, like it is glued to the road.

interior is cheap looking, especially with the cloth; improve quality of parts like fan belt, heating system and brake pads.

Read all the facts before you buy!
By Matt

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first significant buy when it comes to an SUV and it was the BIGGEST mistake I could have made. I have owned the Jeep for 29 days and it has made 4 trips to the repair shop! Many difficulties with it not starting up, but just cranking and cranking. The shifting from Park to either Reverse or Drive is a real hard shift and makes me wonder if there are problems with the design with the transmission. The reliability for Jeep is garbage! I use to own a Jeep Wrangler and I was a die hard fan of Jeep…not so much anymore. I am taking mine back and buying a Nissan Xterra. Read all the other reviews and you too will see there are many problems. BEWARE!!

Exterior design is really sharp with the BMW like headlights. Very comfortable on long drives. Enough gadgets to keep you happy while driving.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY! Gas mileage of course, but hey, it is an SUV. Sound system actually seemed pretty weak compared to what others had been saying. The normal wear and tear items seem to break down at a fast pace.