Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Great Jeep
By Relentless

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 2000 4dr 4x4 I bought used with 33,000 miles on it in 2003. This thing has been mechanically rock solid. It's getting older and my cruise control went out on me. But that is the only real problem I've had and I'm about ready to turn 90,000 miles of daily driver torture on this thing. Parts are super cheap and plentiful. Easy to work on. I still like driving this thing, and I look forward to snowy days. If I ever sell it I know I will miss it.

Its dependability.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Jill

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the best vehicle I've owned. Although it has been in the shop a few times (it's a Jeep) it's still going. It gets me where I need to go when and how I need to get there. As a jeep that is stock, it outperforms some of its competitors in the off-roading department. My brother also has one. He has a great photo of his jeep pulling a Ford 4x4 (with all the extra add-ons for four- wheeling) out of the mud. If you're looking for an SUV that can haul, tow, drive through snow and mud w/o any difficulties, Jeep is the one! One more thing. When the back seat is folded flat, I can fit a dining room set with six chairs and the table. Tons of room!

The 4.0 liter. I have the Sport package so it's perfect for me. Lots of storage room.

They need to bring back the Cherokee. The Commander is too fancy, Liberty is too small, Patriot has no power. I agree with everyone about the leg/head room. Could use more.

Still going and going
By christopherM

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This baby has never let me down. It even ran on little transmission fluid not once but twice. Two great stories. No major difficulties. I have kept the maintenance well and she has never let me down. Multiple trips from DC area to Buffalo in winter and no concerns. Great off road ability not like todays small SUV's (overgrown station wagons) A great reliable vehicle, I'm glad I get to keep it and am upset I have to get a commuter car to save on gas. New brakes at 52000 miles, now have over 117k and no problems, still has original shocks, which do need replaced by now. otherwise, it keeps going. wish new jeeps were this reliable bring back the 4.0 or the equivalent diesel.

Can go through anything, small enough to cut through places these monsters now wish they could. Hummer who? classic styling, no major mechanical defects, did have an idlying problem that took some time to get it right, but otherwise no concerns. Can pull its weight with the big boys

Gas mileage. highway is not bad, but I live in hilly suburbs and need a different commuter car now that I'm over 100k and drive 37 miles each way to work.

Built like they used to
By jbarada

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it 2 years old with 55K on it, and now have 125K. I've had no major problems, but have also performed more than regular maintenance on it. Little problems include speaker wires in the joint of the front doors breaking, has happened numerous times, and the drivers window lockout switch going bad, keeps the other switches from working when they should be. I've towed over 5K lbs a number of times, and have taken it off road several times as well and it keeps running strong!! Gas mileage is a little meak at 15 city and 20 highway, but I've noticed that Royal Purple oil inceases it considerably.

Cast iron block and heads. bullet proof motor. Gobs of torque. Solid front axle. Offroad and towing capability.

More inside insulation to prevent road noise and dash and panel rattles. More back seat room. Bring it back exactly how it was plus these improvements and I'd sure be happy

Why did they stop making it?
By akaskip

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

Bought this Jeep when my wife was pregnant with our first child. Wanted a safe and reliable vehicle. I got what we paid for and more. My wife loved it. It has been a workhorse for the last six years and now that I have finally got it as my primary vehicle, plan on keeping it for many more years to come. In fact, when it came time to get a bigger vehicle (interior) to accommodate the growing family, we stayed in the Jeep family and got a Commander.

I like this Jeep, so to pick out one favorite feature is a difficult thing to do.

The only difficulty I have had with the Cherokee is that my radio cannot pick up any stations father than 30 miles away.