Used 2013 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Value for the $$$
By diydriver

2013 Hyundai Accent SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle as a replacement for an '04 Hyundai Accent sedan (other review on Edmunds for that vehicle). I specifically wanted a used Hyundai Accent hatchback because the value<->price is tremendously in your favor and I needed a car that could haul stuff. Specifically, I play a 30" marching bass drum which would never fit in the old '04 (backseat or trunk). In this hatchback, it fits thru the rear passenger door and the rear hatch. Outstanding!

The engine is the same as before but with 130hp, achieved by using Direct Injection and re-mapping the camshaft to produce power at a higher rpm. It also has a manual shift mode which allows to put it in the proper gear for hilly neighborhoods at certain acceleration rpm's. Going up a hill from a stop light with the a/c on and 3 adults totaling about 650-700lbs, it is sluggish (so turn off the a/c, flip it to manual shift mode, and get the revs up).

As noted by others, visibility thru the rear is somewhat reduced but not excessively so, adjust your side mirrors and you should be OK. Overall, cabin ergonomics are not bad and driver seating is comfortable but get out and stretch every once in awhile on a road trip.

Since I do my own maintenance, oil changes, air filters, cabin filters, and brake pad changes are extremely simple to do and easy to get to. Same for the spark plugs and wires.

Issues:
Battery; both my Hyundai vehicles always seem to get green crud on the battery posts. Doesn't happen to any other vehicles I own. Wire brush them every 6 months.

No spare tire; as someone else pointed out this is completely unacceptable. In fact, we experienced a sidewall cut from a sharp metal edge; instantly deflated. Forget it Hyundai, your tire sealant and air pump ain't gonna fix that. And the tire shop right next to where it happened wouldn't sell us anything but an overpriced set of tires (good thing I keep spares at the house). I located a practically new correct size donut at the junkyard for $20, fits right into the spare tire well.

Ride; leaves much to be desired but there are caveats. First, they have 14" and 16" wheels. Ours is a sport model and came with 195/50-16 tires. These are so low-profile you can feel it going over a speed bump, even at low speed and especially in the back seat. I upgraded to 205/50-16 which was barely better. I later located a set of new 15" wheels/tires on Craigslist for cheap. That NOTICEABLY improved the ride quality with 195/60-15. I like the look of the 16" wheels but if you constantly have to deal with speed bumps, pot holes, or crappy roads, it pretty much becomes not worth it. Stick with the 14s.

Conclusion:
Maybe I should have gotten an Elantra GT hatchback but they are only slightly larger and the $$<->cost ratio isn't nearly as good.
We've had the car over 4 yrs now. Next year my daughter gets a beginners drivers license. This will be a great vehicle for her to have; not too much power, sporty looking, fuel efficient, full of airbags, easily maneuverable.
As for us, the wife wants to get a Hyundai Sonata next.

Good basic transportation
By Carol Southern

2013 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Good quality, low maintenance, 32 mpg, comfortable front seats, small back seats, adequate acceleration, good sound system, large trunk. Great value for the money. Nothing wrong with the car, except that it's just not exciting or luxurious.

Sporty Sipper
By Marvin Wolf

2013 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I work at home, so I'm not running up miles as a commuter. My car has a very small wheelbase, a great turning radius that lets me get in and out of tight parking spaces, and it has a lot of zip, too--acceleration when needed, and power to spare. I recently drove it 2400 miles from Los Angeles to Asheville NC in seven days, moving with traffic or at the speed limit. We stopped four or five times a day for food, fuel, bathroom breaks and overnight lodging. My average fuel mileage for that trip was a little over 41 miles per gallon. We encountered hail and chain lightning in New Mexico, electrical storms in Texas, and a cloud burst of near-Biblical proportions on the mountain road between Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC. Nothing fazed this car. But living in a mountainous community with four seasons is very different than the mostly flat Los Angeles basin. I traded this car in on a somewhat larger, all wheel drive Subaru, and got exactly what it was worth, according to three Internet pricing services. Bye bye Hyundai. I don't miss it. I would have replaced it with a larger, AWD model, but the sales staff at the local Hyundai dealership were such jerks that I couldn't stand to be around them. So I bought a Subaru Forester and lived happily ever after.

almost 100K miles in just over 3 years
By Idrivelongtimee

2013 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

First - I'm really big guy, 6'5" and 250 lbs so I get laughed at when I fold in half to get in/out of my accent.

Second - I just passed 92K miles in 38 months (bought it new), and drive 325 miles straight about once a week.

This is a good, very reliable, cheap to operate little car. No bueno when there is more than a few inchees of snow, but you can't expect much. I get about 36 MPH on the interstate doing 85-90 mph. I can get about 42 mph around town if I'm driving like a grandma (mine is a stick shift).

Only problems we had was when my son hit a raccoon with it and just about totalled the car....took out the entire front end and did almost $6K in damage, for A RACCOON!!! Oh well, it got fixed and it's been great ever since.

Worst issue I have had with the car is that it's RED, and wifey wanted BLUE. But the dealership, even after 3 months, couldn't find us a blue one. Hyundai needs to fix this; if I want to order a blue one, i should get a blue one.

Anyway, great car.

antique driver of newer cars
By David Bucke

2013 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)