Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Greta truck
By Alan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck. One person wrote that his wouldn't tow, but he had the 6 cylinder. Why someone would not buy a V8 for towing is beyond me. My 5.3 has been flawless and I often tow a boat, motor, and trailer weighing 7000 lb and the G38 locking differential has allowed me to get up any boat ramp. I added a K&N cold air intake and Gibson cat back exhaust and get 22 MPG on the interstate and and 28 at 55 MPH.

Power, fuel economy, looks, features, and interior room. Bose stereo with rear controls is a nice touch.

2005 1500 GMC Extended Cab
By Orlean

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Except for the early tranny issue and the noise coming from my steering column, this truck has been spectacular! Thanks to a personal mechanic who was a GM mechanic, the steering column has become a non-issue. And, the dealership took GREAT care of the tranny issue. 140,000 miles into it and I STILL love this truck! I've driven it to/from CA and TX several times, in both winter and summer, and it's served me VERY well! MPG has deteriorated over the years, but that's to be expected. Started at 17MPG and now at 15! I miss that extra 2MPG!

Better fuel economy and I would've given this truck a HUGE endorsement.

watch out
By bill

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

the defective casteck heads in my 5.3 leak coolant. this causes what sounds like bad lifter. know what heads are in your 5.3 before you buy, otherwise you could wind up with truck with repairs more than its value.

seats are better than my 08 sierra

use heads that are not defective

Best Truck For the Money
By Marc B

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I read all the reviews on this truck before I bought. And most of them were positive. So I went out and bought used from a trustworthy dealer. Drove home over 400 miles that afternoon and night and totally enjoyed the ride home. Truck is very nice ride, and good looking. 5.3 engine has it all also. Gmc is easy to work on, and do your own services on. Save money right there.

5.3 engine, and the body style.

Disc brakes in the rear.

Very Satisfied
By Pat Patterson

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

No major complaints. Overall a very well balanced truck. Roomy, comfortable, decent gas mileage. Recently traded for a 2008 model because of the rebates and incentives but if not for that this would've been a keeper.

Dual climate zones. Leather seats. Auto lights. Spray in bedliner.

More power, better mpg, a more serious sound system.