2018 Genesis G80 Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Genesis G80 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G80 model:

Is it just me
By Francis David Moore

2018 Genesis G80 3.3T Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I owned a 2015 G80 before this 2018 and I'd like my 2015 back. I find this car to be very noisey for a luxury car. There is road noise and under car noise. I took it back to the dealer after the first week and he came with me for a road test. He agreed it was pretty noisy. Also the continental tires were developing bubbles in the sidewalls and also blowouts. Both Genesis and the dealer gave me no satisfaction. I changed out the tires to Michelin at my cost of $1100. for my own piece of mind. It is still a lot noisier than my 2015 so I now play the radio at a higher volume to drown out the noise. I guess I got the lemon as most people like the ride and quiet. I like everything else about the car. I'm 80 years old so unfortunately this will be my last car!

BMW/Mercedes/Lexus Watch Out!
By RJ Derr

2018 Genesis G80 3.3T Sport 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This sport sedan covers so many features that it will have wide appeal to many different drivers. Sporty--like to accelerate a bit, like to handle on curves and twisty roads? This is a great car (should get AWD though). Beauty of styling exceptional without much gaudiness or bling. Standard features for the price--a very good deal--they do not miss anything and zap you with expensive options like Merc/BMW, etc. The little things work well: air-conditioned front seats? Yes and it's quiet and it really cools! Safety features as to traffic, obstructions, blindspot pedestrians, etc.--exceptional. The acceleration on this turbo-charged model is outstanding and no lag (had a Merc 750iL and I know what "lag" is). I am a fairly experienced luxury car owner (I know, brag, brag--sorry) and I am comparing this to: 2012 Audi A7; 2010 BMW 750iL; 2014 Audi S6; 2015 Audi A8 and a 2014 BMW 550i--all of which I mostly enjoyed EXCEPT for the high prices! Give this car a drive and you most likely will have a candidate to save you $25-$30K from the bloated "bling-look at me cattle herd".

So many things I hate about this G80
By Kent

2018 Genesis G80 3.8 4dr Sedan AWD (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

Where to start. When we first got this car the dealer couldn't get the tires balanced and had the car for over a week deciding what to do with it. Finally they replaced 3 tires claiming the road force too high on 3 of 4 tires. Why they didn't replace all 4 is beyond me. The tires have always flat spotted badly so the first 15 miles Or so in lower temps were miserable. The flat spotting I believe has caused the Michelins to wear poorly which means a lot of road noise. I've had the tires rotated at each oil service but they have cupped badly. The rear end whines from 45 mph down to about 25 when slowing down. The speed control loses 2-3 mph on a slight grade before catching a gear or two to get back up to speed. The adaptive cruise won't let you get within a couple hundred feet of the car in front which means cars are constantly cutting in front and slowing the car. There's no sensitivity setting for the adaptive cruise and you can't shut it off so you live with it or in my case I don't use it. The front parking sensors work about every 10th time you drive the car, no rhyme or reason as to why or when they will work. The technology on this car would be fine if you wanted some Korean dude telling you how to drive but if you don't like it your stuck with it. The G80 is a great looking car but It is the most annoying car that I have ever owned. Blows me away that there are so many 5 star ratings. Guess I just ended up with a turd. The dealer acted somewhat put out when we had the tire issue early on so with all the other problems I figured it was a waste of time trying to get them fixed. I received a couple quality surveys after I got the car and when I addressed the issues I was having the surveys stopped. Might explain so manY 5 stars. Cant wait to unload this pig.

Quiet and Luxurious
By Artie

2018 Genesis G80 3.8 4dr Sedan AWD (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased the G80 with premium package. If you want a beautifully styled car that performs well, is extremely comfortable and is incredibly quiet when you are enveloped in the luxurious cabin while costing thousands less than competitor's equivalent vehicles, this car is for you. If the nameplate of the brand is what drives your decision, Genesis is not for you. I say forget the shallow thinking since Lexus is a Toyota, Audi is a Volkswagen, Infiniti is a Nissan and Acura is a Honda. I also test drove the Audi A6 and Lexus GS 350. But, first I'll tell you about the Genesis G80. Since this is a pretty heavy car I was concerned about the power and pick up. So, I first test drove the G80 sport. The car weighs almost 4,700 pounds. With the 6 cylinder twin turbo and 365 horses this car is a beast. You hit the gas and it takes off. I was strongly considering it even though it was about $8,000 more than the G80 with premium package. Besides the bigger engine and sport suspension, the sport model includes the premium and ultra packages. My complaint was that I did not like the two tone seats and there is no option in the sport model to have a solid colored seat. I didn't feel I needed the Ultra package anyway which adds about $5,000 to the price. I then went out for a drive with the sales person in the G80 with premium package which also is a 6 cylinder 3.8 with a respectable 311 horses. This car weighs about 4,300 pounds (about 400 less than the sport). We only drove on local roads so I did not feel I got a good sense for what I was trying to find out and I had no more time. The sales person suggested I come back another day and take the car out on my own for a couple of hours which I did. I got onto the highway to test the pick up. While not matching up to the sport or that of the A6 or GS350, I found it more than acceptable with good passing ability. After all, I was not planning on racing the car. Next, I drove on some bumpy roads with pot holes. The G80 was magnificent. With some other cars I would feel every bump and jarring from the uneven pavement. The G80 took every bump in its stride. All the time I was driving I also could not believe how quiet the cabin was. You barely hear road noise or wind. Even the engine is so quiet at times I wasn't sure it was running. I found slightly more body lean taking curves at higher speeds than the A6 or GS350 but nothing appreciable. Also, if you put the car into "sport" mode it tightens up the steering and suspension which helps. It does come at a cost of a little poorer gas mileage however. Overall, I found this car a pleasure to drive with a very roomy and luxurious cabin. It also has loads of technology safety features included that some other brands charge additional for. The slight differences in performance between this and its competitors was not significant enough for me to rule out the G80. When the sales manager worked up the price for me and I saw it was $4,000 - $10,000 less than the competition, that clinched it. Genesis is doing everything right to make this a viable luxury brand. Even the 3 year concierge service. If your car needs servicing which by the way is included for the first 3 years, you don't have to bring your car in. They will bring you a loaner and take your car. When the service is finished they will return your car and take the loaner back.

Spoiled by a G80 sport and then some
By Peter W

2018 Genesis G80 3.3T Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Cross shopped against Audi and BMW, purchased a 2018 G80 Sport and a 3.8, and after a month, purchased another G80 Sport for second home. Extremely well designed and engineered cars. On the Sports, switched out problematic continental tires for Michelin sport A3