2018 Genesis G80 Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Genesis G80 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G80 model:

Quiet and Luxurious
By Artie

2018 Genesis G80 3.8 4dr Sedan AWD (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased the G80 with premium package. If you want a beautifully styled car that performs well, is extremely comfortable and is incredibly quiet when you are enveloped in the luxurious cabin while costing thousands less than competitor's equivalent vehicles, this car is for you. If the nameplate of the brand is what drives your decision, Genesis is not for you. I say forget the shallow thinking since Lexus is a Toyota, Audi is a Volkswagen, Infiniti is a Nissan and Acura is a Honda. I also test drove the Audi A6 and Lexus GS 350. But, first I'll tell you about the Genesis G80. Since this is a pretty heavy car I was concerned about the power and pick up. So, I first test drove the G80 sport. The car weighs almost 4,700 pounds. With the 6 cylinder twin turbo and 365 horses this car is a beast. You hit the gas and it takes off. I was strongly considering it even though it was about $8,000 more than the G80 with premium package. Besides the bigger engine and sport suspension, the sport model includes the premium and ultra packages. My complaint was that I did not like the two tone seats and there is no option in the sport model to have a solid colored seat. I didn't feel I needed the Ultra package anyway which adds about $5,000 to the price. I then went out for a drive with the sales person in the G80 with premium package which also is a 6 cylinder 3.8 with a respectable 311 horses. This car weighs about 4,300 pounds (about 400 less than the sport). We only drove on local roads so I did not feel I got a good sense for what I was trying to find out and I had no more time. The sales person suggested I come back another day and take the car out on my own for a couple of hours which I did. I got onto the highway to test the pick up. While not matching up to the sport or that of the A6 or GS350, I found it more than acceptable with good passing ability. After all, I was not planning on racing the car. Next, I drove on some bumpy roads with pot holes. The G80 was magnificent. With some other cars I would feel every bump and jarring from the uneven pavement. The G80 took every bump in its stride. All the time I was driving I also could not believe how quiet the cabin was. You barely hear road noise or wind. Even the engine is so quiet at times I wasn't sure it was running. I found slightly more body lean taking curves at higher speeds than the A6 or GS350 but nothing appreciable. Also, if you put the car into "sport" mode it tightens up the steering and suspension which helps. It does come at a cost of a little poorer gas mileage however. Overall, I found this car a pleasure to drive with a very roomy and luxurious cabin. It also has loads of technology safety features included that some other brands charge additional for. The slight differences in performance between this and its competitors was not significant enough for me to rule out the G80. When the sales manager worked up the price for me and I saw it was $4,000 - $10,000 less than the competition, that clinched it. Genesis is doing everything right to make this a viable luxury brand. Even the 3 year concierge service. If your car needs servicing which by the way is included for the first 3 years, you don't have to bring your car in. They will bring you a loaner and take your car. When the service is finished they will return your car and take the loaner back.

Spoiled by a G80 sport and then some
By Peter W

2018 Genesis G80 3.3T Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Cross shopped against Audi and BMW, purchased a 2018 G80 Sport and a 3.8, and after a month, purchased another G80 Sport for second home. Extremely well designed and engineered cars. On the Sports, switched out problematic continental tires for Michelin sport A3

Love my G80 so Far!
By John B

2018 Genesis G80 3.8 4dr Sedan AWD (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased my 2018 G80 in Jan 2018 and so far I'm very happy with my decision.

Genesis improved for the future
By Atrackor2

2018 Genesis G80 5.0 Ultimate 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Do your research

WOW!!
By Ho Kulig

2018 Genesis G80 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

Hi. At first I owned a Hyundai Genesis and was overly thrilled with the car. The only thing that ever went wrong was the power Adjustment for the steering wheel. I had it back to dealership a few times before they fixed it. Now the Genesis G80 I purchased last August is an ABSOLUTE DREAM. Maybe the only thing they should think about is dedicated Genesis Dealerships? With Espresso, a bakery, cupcakes and candy bars! I'M KIDDING! Who needs all of that when what you bought in the first place, is a very reliable car!? Perhaps some tuning in the looks department, but overall, I'd buy another one!