Used 2006 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

One of the best starter/budget practical sedans.
By Collin B.

2006 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Stereotypically, this car is ugly and is a grandma car, but there's a lot more to them than what people think. I've had this car since 102,000 miles, now I have 116,000 miles. Had it since high school and now I'm in college, so far it has been great. They are a simple, fairly safe, fairly economical, reliable family sedan. The Taurus doesn't shine in really much, although you won't regret this car. Since the resale value fell so much on these cars because the new Taurus is so much better, it is a great opportunity for buyers to get them. They are most popular among new drivers. Front seat room is pretty good, although front passenger can be cramped for tall people, head room was never an issue. The back seats are very roomy and plushy, and even more room if the front driver/passenger aren't tall. The car has child lock and seat anchors as well. Storage in the Taurus isn't the best but for its time it was great. There's fairly good door pockets, seat pockets, console cubbies, and a fairly deep center console. Also this car has a massive trunk. I never had a problem transporting all kinds of stuff. Lets talk about the engine/transmission. The engine is a Vulcan 3L V6, but ford has been using it since 1986. Also known as the 'bulletproof' engine. It's pretty quiet, no special noises unless modified exhaust, and it gets up and goes. Most power kicks in at about 3,000-5,000 RPM. It's 156 Horsepower and 186 Pounds of torque. So it'll get you up and going and makes merging and passing an ease, but don't plan on going fast. (0-60 is around 8 seconds) The transmission is a 4 speed, it shifts rough, but it shifts fairly quickly and knows what to do, never had an issue. The only known major problem with the Taurus is that the transmissions can go out between 150k-250k miles. Luckily, the transmissions are super simple and fairly cheap to replace. The taurus is also a pretty safe car, it'll be beaten by modern cars. The front is the toughest part, back it does pretty decent and sides are mediocre, however if you have side air bags you'll hold up better. The nice thing about the Taurus is that the bumpers stick out and there's a lot of reinforcement, so if you're a terrible driver (Like most teens), bumping into stuff won't hurt the car much. My FAVORITE part about this car is how abundant and cheap parts are. You can replace all strut towers for about $200, all brakes and components for about $250, and even body repairs are a few hundred. (If you do it yourself). Maintenance is also fairly easy on this car and everything is simple. It'll easily reach 200,000 miles with general maintenance, and the engines typically last forever. There are some people with over 300,000 miles on these things. Snow traction is good aslong as you have good tires. I have Michelin Premier A/S which made my car ride and grip significantly better than the Mastercraft Touring LSR tires. New brakes, oil frequently changed, and new filters. And it rides still like a dream. You see these on the roads a lot. They are known to rust especially undercarriage and the rear wheel wells, and rocker panel mounts can rust out. Infact, one of my exhaust brackets rusted out. I do live in michigan. Rust usually kills these things before the car itself does. I recommend this car, especially if you are a starter driver looking for a cheap car or need a budget sedan. Literally nothing wrong with this car.

Great Car only minor issues
By Jordan

2006 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

These cars are probably one of the better cars made by Ford in terms of reliability. I have had this car for 2 years now after my grandmother who owned it for about 5 years. Overall I think this car is great in terms of being an affordable low maintenance car. Over the 2 years I owned it the only things I've had to get fixed was a couple of belts and that's not bad at all. Yes I have gotten new tires, changed the oil myself, put fuel treatment in monthly, and checked the transmission fluid monthly as well. I am no mechanic at all, but my brother is and if there's one thing I learned from him is that if you take care of things they will last. Now is it one of the best cars ever? No, the ford taurus to me is a car for college kids and people who are on a tight budget. Since I got this car I have yet to have the check engine light come on and it has never broken down on the side of the road, and for that I give this car a lot of credit for it's reliability. There were only two cons I have found with this car and they are both either minor or very much avoidable. Note that the car was given to me with 130,000 miles on it. This past spring I noticed that the car actually got a total of three holes in the floor paneling of the car. For all I know I had driven the entire winter with those holes present. I did have a neighbor help me out and patch the holes and while doing so we found that one hole had caused a lot of rust to build up on the frame. It was a good amount of rust but the strength of the frame is still present. She passed her recent inspection and my mechanic noted that this will probably be the last year before it becomes unsafe which is a shame for a car that is so reliable and has never really had any issues. This is easily avoidable just by simply applying undercoat spray under the car every year before winter, after finding out about the holes I did research and found out that the undersides of these cars tend to rust out if not undercoated enough. The only other thing I got annoyed with on this car was the radio. I have subwoofers and the radio is actually located in the trunk of the car which mean that I had to route the entire wire harness for the radio all through the car. That's a lot of wires to hide just saying. Other than the issue with the rust underneath, I would highly recommend this car to anybody who's trying to find a good reliable budget car.

Your typical Ford
By Justin Rank

2006 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The 2006 Ford Taurus can ether be a great car or a dump. This is my dads car he got from his parents in 2007 (I think it only had around 20,000 then). I've grown up in that car, from road trips back to Missouri, to driving me to school and back, going on family trips in the moutains and now with me getting my license and being able to drive the car around my self. The car now has 172,000 miles and going at a mediocre pace. We don't take it on any more family trips in it, (to keep the miles off it) and sense day one my dad has kept great care of the car and its engine. Loking at it you wouldn't think it could have 172,000 miles on it. I don't really remember the early early days of having the car, but my dad has said that it drove great and he loved it (he still does). But when we neared 120,000 we started having probilms. Leaks of all sorts, and some major transmission issues. We've fixed it and the cars driving good right now. The handling isn't the best. I like firm handling with the feeling your hugging the ground (like I have in our other car, 1991 Honda Accord station wagon with 180,000 miles). Minus the handing the drive is ok, has plenty of road noise. The interior is nice with it being the SEL version. The leather on the driver seat and the leather wrapped steering wheel have aged greatly (we now a cover over the steering wheel). The heater and AC work great. I have noticed when you have a AC on full blast, I really have to gun the car to get power on highways. It has a good stereo system unless your like me and like to have the bass all the way up (it has zero bass). Great trunk space, and nice exterior overall. Overall I would say if you take great care of a Ford Taurus it may last you. I am just worried about reliably in the long run. It's only a matter of time before something big happens and the car goes kaput.

Best First Car!
By Carlover101

2006 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my first car for School, and I love it! It is very dependable, great storage, and comfort is awesome. I'm 6'3 and the legroom is amazing. The leather is very nice, and durable. The sound system is clean and clear, and very loud. This car is amazing on the highway, gas mileage is better than my dad's new Cadillac XTS. Best car ever, I love it very much. I recommend it for anyone.

Old, Cheap Car- but it gets me from A to B
By Faith

2006 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is what it is- an old, cheap, low-power car. My '06 Taurus has only 75,000 miles on it but has had a lot of repairs for being barely driven before 2014. I've had to replace the battery cables, alternator, brakes and have had several issues with the battery and the car randomly not starting. It doesn't do very well in the snow, but I haven't died yet so it holds up enough. The interior panels do fall off, and the controls/electrics are very, very simplistic and old-fashioned. This car is pretty low-power and struggles to accelerate, don't expect a lot of power from it. All in all, it's a cheap car and it gets me places. Doesn't feel the safest to drive, I don't know if that's because of more problems not diagnosed yet or if it's just the fact it's a pretty cheap car. For the amount of money I have dumped into this car, the most I can get for it is $1,300. Just another old, cheaply made car with problems.