2013 Ford Escape Consumer Review: Stylish. zippy and sure footed

2013 Ford Escape - Consumer Review

Stylish. zippy and sure footed!
By albyg on

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a our 2013 Escape SEL with 13,900 miles on it. We have had it for two years and it has around 35,000 miles now. But, the time I have had driving it has been rewarding. Compared to the archaic, Jeep Cherokee Limited which it replaced, it is a little larger, yet drives like a sports car. Steering is quick, as is acceleration, although there is some lag before the turbo kicks in. I wouldn't want to make a habit out of pulling out in traffic without adequate space.

While some reviewers think it has a clunky, funky climate control system, I find it simple and quite effective. The seat heat is second to none with 10 settings, from warm to way hotter than I want to be! So far it has been an enjoyable vehicle, with the exception of the misc. re-calls - on our car we have only had one re-call change to make. But, every time they send out a recall notice they expect you to make an appointment and get it checked out, so that's a bit of a hassle. I beleive we have had 4 recall notices...two of which appear to be for the same issue or non-issue in our case. I always wait until we need to take it in for an oil change and them let them check the recall issue.

I have owned a number of very fast sports cars; I find the 1.6 liter EcoBoost to be powerful and responsive, except for off the line where there is a slight hesitation before the turbo kicks in. The handling of this little SUV is really nice, the steering is quick and extremely responsive while the suspension provides a firm, nimble ride. The brakes are very good, although touchy - requiring a light, controlled foot. It handles packed snow and ice amazingly well, even while braking. Our average gas mileage, for mixed city-highway is 26MPG; this has been the same from the day we got it until now. We live about ten miles out of town, so we have highway driving and city driving in fairly equal proportion. We have yet to take a road trip with it, but I suspect it should get 30-32 MPG on a 500 mile trip through the Nevada desert, constantly going up hills and down hills at 70 - 80 MPH (at least that's what I'm hoping for.)

• Active safety
  • Rain snow traction
  • Headlights
  • Climate control
  • Usb ports
  • Bluetooth
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By albyg
on 04/29/14 18:40 PM (PDT)

Update on the Ford Sync issue. After going back to the dealer a third time, the first time to replace the Sync unit, the second time being to replace the touch screen, they determined the program to be corrupt and reinstalled it completely which took 1-1/2 days. They offered a loaner car but I didn't need one...now it's 100% and working as it should. Other than this hic-cup we are loving the Escape! Especially the 25MPG we're getting for an all around mixed city/highway average. No trips yet, so cannot attest to highway MPG.

By albyg
on 03/07/14 15:39 PM (PST)

One more note, we are averaging over 24 MPG for our every day driving which is mixed city and highway. I find this to be very good.

By albyg
on 03/07/14 15:37 PM (PST)

To date the only issue we have had with the Escape is the Ford Sync system which went out completely. They installed a new one at no charge, but it is having issues. They are replacing the touch screen next.