Used 2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Fantastic Ford
By Karen Kaylor

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Escape new and have been the only owner. It has 239,000 miles and is still going strong! It really does help sticking to routine maintenence and using high grade synthetic oil. Still has original exhaust system, engine and more. Just had it inspected and all it needed was new tie-rod ends. This is my go-to vehicle for everything. Never worried driving this in bad weather, got me thru it all.

Great small suv.
By Joel

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great runner, handler, fuel mileage comparatively. Prone to rear wheel well rust outs, though.

my 06 escape
By paul perdue

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i have the awd 3 liter bought in 2015 with about 125,000 miles. she now has about 165,000 love it, have had no serious issues, routine maint. did replace the alternator, and rear shocks, she rides good on road, and does great off road, she is no rock climber, but i take alot of day trips finding the stupidest backroads, and forrest service trails i can find, she has never let me down.

Just picked up a used one at a good price
By Lawrence

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a commuter, plus I wanted to have some cargo capacity if needed. These 5-speed Escapes are rare - They're your best choice in one of these if you're MPG conscious and like the Escape design as I do. Takes REGULAR gas. I've run 1 tank of gas through it and it's demonstrated close to 27 MPG, freeway - I suspect it could improve with a little maintenance attention to some engine components. Cloth seats durable (no rips), but I don't think Ford Scotchguarded the fabric, so I'm managing my expectations on the result of a serious cleaning. Very strong engine, even with close to 160K on the clock - Duratec 2.3's are bulletproof and I expect another 100K miles of production output on mine with normal, attentive maintenance. Shifting linkage is a bit sloppy, could be wear and tear - but not an issue for the purposes of my application. I have a 2006 Ranger also, same base engine/chassis. Have had other Fords, so I guess I'm a Ford Man. Summary on this Escape: It's a darn good value used and will hold up well. Honestly, I'm excited to have bought it and enjoy driving it. Hope this helps you.

"The Mad Max Road Warrior Tough Vehicle"
By Aaron H.

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I normally do not write reviews on vehicles. An aerospace engineering by trade, I have worked on craft that have to really impress me, but none so much as this vehicle. Second owner, I bought my 2006 Ford Escape in 2007. It had 56k miles, and in 2017 has 215k. 2 battery replacements (understandable over 10 years), and tires, but other than fluid changes this thing has never disappointment. In 2015 I went to Death Valley, California to work on rockets, and that is where my appreciation really flourished. Death Valley is in the Mojave Desert, and an extremely harsh environment in ways. Despite the sand, the heat, the cold, the wind (oh my goodness the wind......saw it knock down a child...no joke), and even sitting for 20 months.....the beast started up and drove like a champ. I have no plans to ever sell or get rid of this vehicle. They just do not quit. They make "Ford Tough" far more than a gimmicky marketing slogan. The security forces and desert patrols all use them too. You will not make a mistake buying this vehicle. It's like a "Firefly" off of the series by Whedon. No flash, sure, but the damn things just will not quit. I'd rather spend a few grand on a replacement engine (though it doesn't need even extra oil after 10 years and 215k miles between changes) or transmission than EVER getting rid of this baby. Zombie apocalypse? No problem. Mad Max Thunderdome? It's nearly lived through it. I tested rockets far out in Mojave and this was my vehicle of choice. Won't even vacuum out the Mojave sand....I think it has EARNED it.