Used 2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Just picked up a used one at a good price
By Lawrence

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a commuter, plus I wanted to have some cargo capacity if needed. These 5-speed Escapes are rare - They're your best choice in one of these if you're MPG conscious and like the Escape design as I do. Takes REGULAR gas. I've run 1 tank of gas through it and it's demonstrated close to 27 MPG, freeway - I suspect it could improve with a little maintenance attention to some engine components. Cloth seats durable (no rips), but I don't think Ford Scotchguarded the fabric, so I'm managing my expectations on the result of a serious cleaning. Very strong engine, even with close to 160K on the clock - Duratec 2.3's are bulletproof and I expect another 100K miles of production output on mine with normal, attentive maintenance. Shifting linkage is a bit sloppy, could be wear and tear - but not an issue for the purposes of my application. I have a 2006 Ranger also, same base engine/chassis. Have had other Fords, so I guess I'm a Ford Man. Summary on this Escape: It's a darn good value used and will hold up well. Honestly, I'm excited to have bought it and enjoy driving it. Hope this helps you.

"The Mad Max Road Warrior Tough Vehicle"
By Aaron H.

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I normally do not write reviews on vehicles. An aerospace engineering by trade, I have worked on craft that have to really impress me, but none so much as this vehicle. Second owner, I bought my 2006 Ford Escape in 2007. It had 56k miles, and in 2017 has 215k. 2 battery replacements (understandable over 10 years), and tires, but other than fluid changes this thing has never disappointment. In 2015 I went to Death Valley, California to work on rockets, and that is where my appreciation really flourished. Death Valley is in the Mojave Desert, and an extremely harsh environment in ways. Despite the sand, the heat, the cold, the wind (oh my goodness the wind......saw it knock down a child...no joke), and even sitting for 20 months.....the beast started up and drove like a champ. I have no plans to ever sell or get rid of this vehicle. They just do not quit. They make "Ford Tough" far more than a gimmicky marketing slogan. The security forces and desert patrols all use them too. You will not make a mistake buying this vehicle. It's like a "Firefly" off of the series by Whedon. No flash, sure, but the damn things just will not quit. I'd rather spend a few grand on a replacement engine (though it doesn't need even extra oil after 10 years and 215k miles between changes) or transmission than EVER getting rid of this baby. Zombie apocalypse? No problem. Mad Max Thunderdome? It's nearly lived through it. I tested rockets far out in Mojave and this was my vehicle of choice. Won't even vacuum out the Mojave sand....I think it has EARNED it.

340K!
By Richard

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been wonderful. Until just recently, I've had very little repairs to make. In fact, there were no major repairs until it reached 340,000 miles. Do the maintenance and this is a great car.

Bites the dust
By Natalie

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2006 Ford escape XLT V6 as my 1st car. Everyone knows how your 1st car is under layers of rose colored shades, i was like that for the 1st year. about 5 months of driving it one of the rear shock absorbers split, so we repaired that, no biggie. In the beginning of 2016, i felt a loss of power in my escape and it was making funny noises, turns out the 3 catalytic converters got clogged. I don't know if that is an issue a lot of these older fords have but it sure was an issue with my car. so we fixed her and leaving the repair shop, i felt like she didn't have any power, and struggled to get over 45mph. I didn't want to complain about this since we had just spent a butt ton of money on the car, and i was not in the mood to throw more money at this car. well turns out after getting my brother to inspect it, my exhaust was screwed up and had a leak. When we got the car, it was straight piped, but we bought a stock exhaust system because even though it made a beautiful sound, it was very loud and above the sound laws in our city. so to hear my new system was busted was the turning point of my love for this car. While in the shop, it turns out my transmission gave out, so we had to purchase a re-build tranny. Just a reminder this was all in a 2-3 month span. after o got the car back she was like brand new. it was amazing. she accelerated perfectly, the shifts were smooth and flawless. Sure, the MPG was horrendous, but i had nothing else to do but wait for the right time to buy a new car. around the middle of July i started hearing a rattle in my engine. At this point i was just tired of repairs and was planning on buying a new car in the middle of august. So why am i writing this review? I decided on sharing to the world the complete unreliability of this product of ford to the world after last night, August 15th, 2016. I was driving home, and the route to my house has a huge hill. I noticed i lost a bit of power, so i pulled over to check everything. I pondered if i should try to drive home, or camp out where i was. I decided to try and head home. It made some of the worst sounds i have ever heard any car make. I eventually made it home. we are fixing, and then selling this escape as soon as possible. I am never buying a ford ever again.

Park in a get-away-position.
By Henry W. Holmes

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

3.0 liter V-6 engine is underpowered on hills and when loaded on hills. The 3.0 liter V-6 is known to fail; keep oil full and do not let it overheat. Rides rough, a good mark of a FWD, rides smooth when fully loaded, but then tends to feel top heavy. I love mine, warts and all.