Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

Used Escape for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...38

Pros
Cons

Not when it's broken

hanges, 01/27/2006
XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was the best performing vehicle that I have EVER owned; too bad it had to go into the shop for work over 12 times in one year (20,000 miles). Rotors, fuel lines, EGR valve, fuel tank gaskets, etc. I did get 30 mpg with it and with it fully loaded (floor to ceiling with slip 40/60 seats) set the cruise at 72 and never have it drop below 70, even then going through the Rocky Mountains.

Hard Pressed to Find One Better

JSampson, 11/12/2010
XLS Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl 5 spd model @ 80k now: Bought used with 38k on it. I'm very meticulous about car issues and I have noticed only a couple things that have needed attention over the years. In my mind these issues are less about Ford and more about components manufactured in Asia (I'd bet). 1. Idle Air Control Valve needs some cleaning/replacement after 75k miles or so and is a total pain to get to. 2. DPEF sensor craps out about the same time. Neither one ever left me stranded or were $$$ but did create an erratic idle at times. Outside of that, absolutely nothing has gone wrong. Engine has adequate power and has returned 25 mpg avg, consistently. Handling and braking even w/o all discs is good.

Buy this and your repair shop will know you by name!

dylywylly, 07/27/2014
XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I will start with the positives. It really is a fun car to drive, when it is not in the shop. The negatives, it is always in the shop. I bought this car two years ago and from day two it has had problems. It was first something in the 4x4 that was leaking that was a $400 fix. Then came the first oil leak (yes I have had three!) that was another $150 to repair. After that it was something in my front axle that was causing my car to pull like it was out of alignment. New front axle and $600 I though the car was good to go again. After that it was my break line that broke, it left me break-less in a ND winter. And many more! In short don't buy this car! It is yellow, like the lemon it is.

60k miles and a repair nightmare

NoMoreFords, 11/11/2009
XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new and it ran great, then things started to happen. 10K - Lose molding on the roof. Rear wiper does not touch the window. 40K - 6-disc player stopped working. 50k - 3 coils out of 6 had to be replaced. Windows started squeaking when opening and closing. 65k - Replaced oil pan gasket due to leak, and then two month later the oil pan due to stripped plug. 70k Replaced all three catalytic converters (they were plugged up). 70k - Replaced leaky water pump. Replaced cracked alternator. I give up...

So Far So Good!

Jtptampa, 04/04/2002
XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far so good. Afew details are pretty cheap. Runs good, decent gas mileage, fun to drive, bigger than it looks inside

12345...38