Used 2008 Ford Edge SUV Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Edge SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Edge model:

I love my 2008 Orange Ford Edge AWD
By Mary

2008 Ford Edge SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great suv! There is nothing I don't love about this vehicle. Very easy to maintain. I definitely recommend.

The should I keep it or sell it decision for 8 yr
By Chai Wallah

2008 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Edge still is a very comfortable cars after 5 years of ownership. This review is more for folks who are considering trading in or selling, and potential buyers. The PTU is notorious in the AWD, hence the drop in resale values. Ford dealerships refuse to drain and fill the gear oil. Please get this done every alternate engine oil change at a lube ot transmission shop, it is cheap insurance for PTU longevity. Suck out and refill through the fill plug. The TSS/OSS sensors will go out on this transmission, the transmission itself is rock solid. Spark plug change is a must at 80-90k miles, otherwise you risk a PCM failure. So if you are a buyer wanting to keep their Edge longer or seller doing their due diligence on buying it uses, pleae keep these factors in mind! Any other issues are to be expected in most used cars.

Good family starter
By Chad Price

2008 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

A good vehicle for it's value. Nothing in it is really going to blow you away with class or "piz-az", but it performs as advertised. The 3.5L V6 has enough guts to help you get around slow moving vehicles quickly, but again, won't amaze with speed. It averaged about 21 mpg for us, a little under what we thought it would, but not bad at all. The leg room is good up front in my opinion (but I like to sit up close for a 6'2" male), however the rear is a little cramped for bigger adults, but fine for averaged sized people and kids. I always felt cargo space was a little small but we always had to fit a big dog into the vehicle plus our cargo. (But that's our problem and has nothing against the vehicle.) We had a few electrical issues with the BCM (Body Control Module) that was about $600 fix, at about 75,000 miles, but other than that everything worked great. If your just starting off and have a growing family, this is a great car for you!

Loved the car for 8 years, but then....
By marmot

2008 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Beware of the the water pump on the 3.5L engine. Search the internet lots of water pump failures resulting in severe engine damage. I loved this car. I purchased it new, no problems until 92K when the water pump failed with no warning. No warning lights, no fluid leaks. If you're thinking of buying one used with a 3.5L, be sure to have the water pump checked out first.
I still really like the car, but it also has the takata airbag recall. I am still awaiting information from Ford on when parts will be available.

Great Car with Recent and Alarming Issues
By JJ

2008 Ford Edge SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2008 Ford Edge with 55k miles -

3 Times in the Last year when I have been attempting to accelerate- All of my warning lights turn on - My spedometer gets stuck at zero, and I am unable to accelerate above 5 miles per hour for a significant, and dangerous amount of time.

Took car into shop and they were unable to find any issues.
Looking online it seems many other people have had the same problem and ford is unable, or unwilling to address the issue.
Very Dangerous.