Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

The most lackluster car ever made
By W.G.Ahlers

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used in 2005, (Only a few months old) and I think I know why it depreciated $10,000 in only a matter of months. The A/C smells musty, the bottom scrapes everytime I turn into a driveway, my brakes make a strange chirping noise, (Dealer says normal) tranny makes strange grinding noise, (again, normal) the dash pieces are separating, (normal) the carpet pulls away from the lower trim because it was cut too short (normal) GM refuses to fix anything wrong with it. Interior noise is ridiculously loud, I fear that I am making my 20 month old son slowly deaf. No ABS, so when it snows it likes to hit other cars. Heater fries my right foot, yet leaves my left foot frozen solid.

Eventually, I'll get to trade it in, so I got that going for me. It does have a lot of interior room and gets slightly above average fuel economy.

Well, for starters, when the car is falling apart, try to fix it. Maybe have some quality control at the factory.

My Impala
By gr8impala

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it with about 480 miles on it. So far it has been trouble free. Roomy, comfy and kind of sporty looking. Only had the rotors cut and got rid of the horrible tires it came with since in winter it was terrible to drive. I have snows for winter and it's like a 4wd now! Interior is made a bit cheaply but sound, no rattles. It has the not so good rated 3.4 v/6 due to coolant leak problems later on with miledge but I have the 7 year extended coverage so I'm good to go I hope. Powerful engine when you need it, quiet at idle but rough sounding on hard acceleration, it can be quite a zippy car! Handles good, fair amount of body lean on turns but firmer handling tires take care of some of that.

Controls easy to reach, sporty looking, comfy to drive, dual climate controls. Back seats fold down for more trunk room, like you need more.

Make ABS standard on all models! Offer vinyl dash kits so you can colorize the dash trim color to say...graphite color or chrome, burl wood look,etc.

3 years of Frustration
By Frustrated

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Impala in Dec/04 it was great for about a year. I come from a Chevy/GM family. Now I will never buy another Chevy. In the past year I have had to replace the ignition, fuel pressure regulator and have jerky and sluggish response when accelerating. Even the body is falling apart. Took it to the car wash and parts fell off and to add insult to injury after 3 years im still upside down on a trade! Chevy has really gone down hill! Don't buy a new Chevy unless they start making them like they used to!!

The gas mileage for the size of the vehicle isn't bad

Everything

Nice Car
By Army Vet

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car off of the original owner with 25,000 miles on it. This car drives very well and man does it hug the road. This car does turn heads even when it's dirty which is not very often. There are only two things one is it seems as tho the paint on the front end chips away very easy? The other is sometimes when you start it up the starter will stay engaged for about 3 to 5 seconds. Other than that I find that we are all very comfortable with this care and we are very happy with our choice.

The room and the looks

Raise the front end a little.

Love the MPGs
By JayL

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the most comfortable car I've owned. This was the showroom car loaded with all options but the sunroof. It has an extremely quiet ride. Very comfortable wide leather seats. Definitely a big man's car. I get a steady 27 MPG mixed use! On strict highway trips as much as 35. Granted, I am a professional driver and have been trained on smooth operation of an automobile. But this is better mileage than my '02 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl stick got me. Cannot ask for more. Sticker says 20 city 30 highway. It's more! No mechanical issues yet, but the Eagle GT tires become noisy as it wears. Can't wait to put a set of Michelins on.

Love the leather seats, the auto dim mirror, the steering wheel controls. The trip computer is very accurate. The mirrors are big and give you excellent visibility.

Brighter headlights and better tires.