Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Cold blood car
By mgibby

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In August 2011 I purchased my Equinox with only 145 miles. Fine until Jan 2012 (A nice Wisconsin morning at 15+ below zero). Driving on the interstate and the SUV started to chug and actually shut down while I was driving. My SUV would not go any faster than 5 mph. A few hrs later, I drove to the local gas station to do a test drive (Less than two miles).
SUV seemed to be fine; however, on the way back.. it started to chug again. At 4pm, I tried driving the SUV home... made it 7 miles and it did it again. Called the dealership and they found nothing.
However, it is cold again (Jan 2013) here in WI and my car is doing a repeat performance. My SUV has been in/out of the shop the four times.

Finally, (Lucky for me) one of the techs took my SUV home overnight and the next morning it happened to her (Proving I am not crazy). The dealership followed GMs recommendations and informed me my car was as good as new but yesterday (less than a week later), it happened again and my SUV is back at the dealership. Today I actually called GM and expressed my concerns.... so now I wait. One thing the dealership and GM both said is ... this is not a common problem or at least this has not been reported. So please share if you have similiar problems with your Equinox. Thanks!

Disappointed
By bigdaddy1959

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like most people researching this car, I was shocked to see how many bad things were being said. I trusted Chevy and was happy to go with an American made vehicle. I bought my 2011 Equinox in 2010 and had no idea the torubles to come. Within two years, I had trouble with the censor, needed a new timing belt, high-tech water pump, spark plugs, engine needed to be cleaned, and trouble with traction. I could not believe the issues i encountered. It was a waist of time and money. In the end, I decided to go with a different car and lost out on $5,000.00. I wrote a letter to Chevy, hoping my voice would be heard. Lets see if Chevy is able to instill trust once more. Very disappointed.

This vehicle has no power
By angrychevy

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Been in the shop 2 times and is not recommended.
It has no power and now the worst part is that the dealer cannot fix my issue.
Day 5 and I'm still waiting.
They are not even sure how to fix it.

It is a 2011 so how can they not know how to fix and program a BCM????
WOW GM!
GOOD JOB, I WILL NOT BE RECOMMENDING YOU TO OTHERS!

NONE! NO POWER!

BE ABLE TO SERVICE THE VEHICLE WHEN IT IS DOWN

Good and bad points
By chrisco716

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned 2011 LT2 Equinox for about a year and a half.
Bought it new.
The Good - Nice looking and drives pretty well.
Comfortable for passengers.
Good options like heated seats, power everything including automatic opening tailgate.
AWD.
Nice computer.
The Bad - Does not achieve expected mileage.
We consistently average a little over 19 mpg in mixed driving conditions.
Only about 24 mpg highway.
Drivers seat uncomfortable... I have to put a rolled up towel in the bottom back to keep from getting back pains.
The Ugly - It's a dog driving in the mountains or even getting up to highway speeds.
The automatic transmission also seems a bit rough when accelerating hard.

Appearance. Features/Options. Handling (with exception of acceleration).

Improved drivers seats (that don't feel like you're sitting in an acute angle canyon). I would have purchased the 6cyl model if I had a do-over for more power. The 4cyl model does not achieve expected gas mileage anyway.

BUMMER, WE TRADED THE EXPLORER FOR THIS?
By billg10

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 1.75 years and 28,000 miles.

Mileage: With cruise control set and "Eco" on, car averages 24.5 @ 75, 25.5 @ 70, 26.8 @ 62.
Local driving about 21.
Respectable, but a far cry from the advertised 32 Hwy.

Performance: What a Slug! From 45 up, it can't get out of its own way.

Handling/ride/brakes are good. Very roomy interior, reasonably comfortable. Exceptional back seat leg room.
Lots of road noise at highway speeds.
Driving controls are okay, but the big Heat/AC/Radio central display is confusing.

We traded a nice '06 Explorer with leather for this, based largely on the advertised mileage.
I'd rather have the Ford back than the extra 4 mpg we actually got, it was twice the car

I don't like this car much. It's not terrible and my wife is happier with it than I am, but I wouldn't buy another one. That said; It has been dependable, with no problems at all so far. Fit and finish are very good, although a little plain looking inside. Interior use of space is excellent. The driver seating position is a bit odd but seems to work, even after 12 hour trips. Styling is distinctive. My kids say it looks like an angry bug from the front.

Stop lying about the mileage. The car gets 26 or 27, just like its competitors. Admit it. More sound insulation in the floor and doors. Get the USB & Aux inputs out of the console storage bin and onto the dash where they belong. HUGE blind spots behind the front pillars. Slim them down somehow.