Used 2003 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

x5 problems
By kathy waldref

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had problems, after the first year, all the time and it was always in the shop. Thank goodness for everything free. At different dealerships, couldnt keep it running. it was a lemon, and no one would do anything about it! I got so mad on way to yet another appt,(over an hour, because of traffic, one way) I sold it (had bought it and not leased, didn't want to be stuck with it after expiring warrenty soon) and got a Z4, which I love and seems more reliable.

It's gone!!

Redesign the trunk latches, which they did, windows had issues, drain on system (something electrical), extend the warrenty

2003 X5
By Ed Price

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After driving this car for 3 years, I was very happy with the dependability of the car. No electrical problems and except for service, never needed repairs. Only disappointment is lack of changes in style and interior from year to year.

Engine sound and handling.

Get rid of the stupid key gizmo that opens the rear hatch everytime you bump the switch.

A great used SUV bargain
By PaulGinAZ

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2003 X5 3.0 Sport for my wife last March with 41,000 miles and all options except for cold weather pkg. In the 14000 miles since then we have received excellent service from the dealership and aside from replacing the OEM Michelin tires with Kuhmos and replacing the battery the vehicle has been flawless, safe, quiet, and rattle-free. Insist on service records and if you can buy the extended maintenence package (3 year 50k including all services, oil changes, and brakes) for $1000 like we did you should be in the clear.

Safety, ride comfort and handling that is heads above other premium SUV's in the marketplace.

This model is due to be replaced in the next calendar year and the interior is looking a bit dated.. but the design is 6 plus years old now so that is to be expected. I hope that for the sake of simplicity that they avoid saddling this model with I-Drive.

2 years of Love
By hectorg

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We've had ours now of little over 2 years. WE LOVE IT. The look, the drive, the space, the feeling of power and safety It has been amazing in these tough NYC winters and the A/C is amazing in those hot & humid summers. I read complaints about fuel economy. I can't complain, the X5 begs you to drive it fast. As I'm writing this we are expecting our first child. Guess what I'm driving him home in? Need I say more?

The steptronic auto transmission, Full time 4WD, the interior, acceleration for an SUV is great. This

Offer some of the 3,5 series options in the X5.

Surprising satisfying 3.0 inline 6
By Hoss Moini

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall a quality vehicle built in the USA!!!! The inline six engine's performance was a positive surprise against my expectations! It has been a very enjoyable experience owning this SUV! Did not know if I was going to regret not getting the 4.4 V8 at the beginning! turned out just fine.

Almost all, except for below!

Window power buttons on the door not easy to reach to! Also the ride height feature reverts back to standard at 20 mph, don't like that!!