Used 2003 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Mixed Review
By Volvosleeper

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used with 20,000 Miles, Loved appearance inside and out. Immediately noted the AM/FM reception in Northern Minnesota was the worst of my experience with over 30 vehicles. Dealer denied there was a problem in 3 visits. Finally told me "95% of owners don't listen to AM anyways". Communications with corporate BMW were very poor. The person in NJ was experienced at deflecting complaints, but knew little about cars. Twice had engine problems under warranty where car blew black smoke out of exhaust. Now at 95,000 the dash displays are missing some digits and the fix is too expensive. One Key Fob is dead and you can't fix yourself, wheels are corroded, dealer experience has been poor.

Appearance, Ride, Rear seat adjustment, rear seat climate control. handling MPG

Very poor sound system. Overly complex displays and need to take eyes off road. Plastic parts that fail. Exterior trim that fails. Rattles. Too Expensive brake replacement

Mixed bag
By francious

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance, appearance, gas mileage are all excellent. The interior trim is not holding up and the controls are terrible. AM radio reception is terrible and the controls on the steering wheel are much too complicated in comparison to the Mercedes and Honda I drive. Cruise Control has 4 buttons with symbols and must be actuated whenever you start the vehicle. The sound system has no dial to go from stations only a button to advance. I would never buy another BMW. I'll stick to Mercedes and Hondas. This is a fun to drive ride and it is a shame they let the little things get in the way of satisfaction for people like me.

Clam shell hatch, rear seats that adjust. Long adjustment on front seats. Appearance. Acceleration and reasonable gas mileage for an SUV.

Simplify controls. Put in a decent sound system and antenna. Better quality plastics and faux wood in the interior. I keep cars for 150,000 miles and I don't expect the interior to get shabby.

X5 Boy!!!
By X5 Boy!!!

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X5 as a certified Pre-Owned from my local BMW dealer. My X5 is my first BMW. I love the handling, acceleration and reliability. It is solid and safe on the road and at freeway speed. It has all the benifits that a brand new one would have. It comes with the 100,000 extended warranty and free maintenance service, so I pay nothing for all services. After the first three weeks of my purchase, I had problems with the lights in the dashboard and the transmission, so I took it for a free repair.

Sports, premium, cold packages and loading board.

Better sound system that is comparable to the Nakamichi or Mark Levinson systems that Lexus has. Gas mileage is low. I get average of 16 mpg in city and 24 on freeway. The vehicle is heavy so low gas mileage is expected.

X5 Review from Kenya
By James Wachira

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the vehicle. I imported from Singapore with 38000 Km on the odometer. I enjoy the car. However, I have experienced two problems that I have not been able to solve. One the radio/CD just went off whilst driving and havent been able to put it on since. Today I switched on the car and could not start, the computer display indicated code. A few times the boot has refused to open, but it would later open after a day or so, seems to be an electronic problem Can someone provide some solutions on this and share solutions if had experienced same thing. Unfortunately I dont have a manual for the car

Steering wheel volume control. Seat memory. Radio/CD when it was working.

Need a do it yourself kit especially to trouble shoot electronic failures

2003 BMW X5
By autooracle

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Just normal wear and tear maintenenace issues. Handling is great. Yes it's an SUV, not a Porsche. Fuel economy is fine for what it is. Performance out of the 3.0 is all you would need unless you are towing.

Our particular vehicle has manual knobs for the climate control. Love it! Love the simple fact that when you lock the vehicle from the driver's side, the windows and sunroof close.

Diesel option.