Used 2003 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

bmw x5
By bmwx10

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I await at least 30 commments about the this car being too heavy from the same folks to takeover any Camaro related thread whining about how they have to wait for the next gen car because the Camaro is 400lbs overweight. V8 powered coupes built on robust RWD platforms are not light- as evidences by the porky 4300lb curb weight of this 650i coupe.

This is one of the best BMW i own, there is nothing i will change the only problem was the audio system but i was able to add an iPod interface made for Bmw AND PROBLEM SOLVE

[non-permissible content removed]

handling power leather seats

audio system needs usb or iPhone input

2003 BMW X5 3.0i
By ppsnow

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this car for 3 months now and I put about 3000 miles including a trip to Myrtle Beach. I enjoy driving this car. My wife loves it and my son wants to drive anywhere we take this car! So far so good. MPG about 20 highway around 17 in the city. I expected better! The only despoilment is the stereo and the fading of all the readout on the instrument panel. For a 50K + car when new is a disappointment! Other then that I very happy with the car. No problems so far other replacing the rear window regulator in the first week! Very easy to do and I was done in 20 min. Shop around for parts. You will find big difference in money.
As a used car and paying only 1/4 of original price is GOOD!

Comfortable in long trips. Plenty of room for 4 passengers. Power reclining rear seats. Build quality. Driving satisfaction.

I know the 2007 and above are better so that will be my next car is the 2009 35d X5. But I have to wait a couple more years to get cheaper then the 40k they demand now as a used.

Don't Buy X 5 maintenance nightmare
By bmw x 5

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Have spent over 3,000 replacing transfer case belts pumps cooling fan assembly battery pulley

selling it

better quality have had 7's 5's and 3's until now never will buy a BMW go to Mercedes they stand behind products was way out of warranty and they replaced a water pump BMW falling apart

And they call it a truck
By clerario

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 03 X5. I take care of it like a baby and it takes care of me. I don't run up the mileage and relatively speaking it has.t cost too much to maintain. When something begins to go wrong I fix it and this minimizes major repair costs. I had a 4 year warranty and extended it 2 more years. The first 4 year warranty was great but the second 2 year warranty not so good. 3 items I am disappointed with would be the stereo (although it is better than my premium Honda sound), the digital reading on the dash board are beginning to go away and when I roll down the back window(s) and drive over 30 mph, the sound is deafening. Otherwise my BMW X5 runs like a top.

The grill, the smooth ride and power, I only have the 3.0 and it's fine.

Radio, digital readings on dash, rear window sound.

Mixed Review
By Volvosleeper

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used with 20,000 Miles, Loved appearance inside and out. Immediately noted the AM/FM reception in Northern Minnesota was the worst of my experience with over 30 vehicles. Dealer denied there was a problem in 3 visits. Finally told me "95% of owners don't listen to AM anyways". Communications with corporate BMW were very poor. The person in NJ was experienced at deflecting complaints, but knew little about cars. Twice had engine problems under warranty where car blew black smoke out of exhaust. Now at 95,000 the dash displays are missing some digits and the fix is too expensive. One Key Fob is dead and you can't fix yourself, wheels are corroded, dealer experience has been poor.

Appearance, Ride, Rear seat adjustment, rear seat climate control. handling MPG

Very poor sound system. Overly complex displays and need to take eyes off road. Plastic parts that fail. Exterior trim that fails. Rattles. Too Expensive brake replacement