Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Roomiest of all Vehicles, Handles great!
By otter63

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm 6 feet, 6 inches tall, need lots of headroom. This is the only car, truck, or SUV in which I have ROOM TO SPARE ABOVE MY HEAD. Got the GL, as a sunroof would have eliminated the headroom. Surprising amount of "hip room". I have plenty of room to let my knees out to the side, without hitting power window or gearshift consoles. Got the diesel with the intent of running biodiesel, helping eliminate our dependence on oil, but VW says that will put my warranty at risk. Anyway, I'm AVERAGING 50 mpg with petroleum diesel. Best so far is 62 mpg - seems to be more efficient at 70 mph than 60.

Favorite Features

Barber shop chair style height adjusters. Handling. Monsoon sound system. Heated seats - great for keeping your woman warm without heating up the whole car. Low maintenance requirements of a diesel will save you thousands of dollars.

Suggested Improvements

Wiper motor died - replaced under warranty. Felt strip in side mirror is falling out. Sheet metal on rear hatch is a little weak - got very slightly creased by a car wash. Needs bigger side mirrors - significant blind spots. Tougher paint.

Customer VW 1998 tdi beetle
By John F McCourt 3rd

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car has been one of the better vehicles that I've owned and operated and have put on a lot of mileage. The fuel efficiency is very good and the beetle has been very reliable.

Favorite Features

Good fuel mileage on the tdi 50mpg and the handling on the Beetle especially on adverse road conditionsof snow and ice.

Suggested Improvements

Negatives ac was poor and had to be replaced, rt door power window had to be replaced, engine light stays on, engine splash-plate should have an oil access port for ease of oil change.Also sun visors should be extendable to be more effective against sun glare.