Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I luv my V-Dub!
By Elaine Fabs

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been driving my Turbo charged, lagoon blue VW Beetle for 2 and 1/2 months now and I just love it! I have great power and stunning looks. It's so much fun to drive. I have not had a single problem with it. Gotta luv the bug!

Rear pop-up spoiler; rare lagoon blue exterior color; leather heated seats; red and blue lit dash.

Adorable Car with Way Too Many Issues
By LS

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fell in love with this car and bought it new. Within the first three months, I think it was in the shop about 4 times. Since then, particularly during summer months, it's in the shop on average about once every 6 weeks. Have had problems with the windows, the speakers, the battery (twice), the roof has broken countless times, the wiring on the tail lights, the airbag sensors, the blinker - and the door, which still isn't fixed. Also, the service at my dealership is terrible. They once replaced the wrong airbag so the sensor came back on a couple days later. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMEND this car. They take no accountability and I will never purchase another VW, no matter how cute.

It's very cute.

Where to begin? Start by working out the glitches before they put a car on the market. Adequately staff dealer service dept. Spend less $ on marketing and more on building a better product. I'm so done with this car and ready to trade it in.

Is it a Lemon?
By Chel

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with only 20,000 miles on it. My first car was the old VW, and ever since they came out with the new models I always wanted one. In the 13,000 miles I have put on it in one year, I have taken it to the shop 10 times. The manufacturers warranty has now run out (not due to mileage, but to age) and now I have to use the extended warranty I purchased from Carmax. But they don't know how to fix VW's so I must pay extra to take it to a dealer! (I was never informed of this!) I have had electrical problems with the windows, top problems where it wouldn't go up or come down at times, overheating problems (3 times!), now I am finished! I am trading in this car tomorrow!

Looks great when it runs, it is a fun car.

Fix the problems! When I bought this car, I had every intention of keeping it until it died on me. I had no idea it was dead when I bought it! I will never buy another VW!

Love that Car!
By Phyllida

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love it so much that I do not want to trade it in for a 2007, although I probably shall. With every New Beetle there is usually one problem. For the 2000 model, it was the parking gear, which was somehow attached via computer chip to the brake light and the cruise control. For the 2003 model, it was the alternator and the heater. The car handles so beautifully on the road that these are mere annoyances!

The black leather seats that heat up in the winter and the moonroof. These are a few of my favorite things!

Continue making the Beetle in Lagoon Blue with black leather seats (The Laser blue is not nearly as pretty and the seats are grey). I have to settle for Salsa Red (looks like a big tomato!)

Too Cute Not to Love!
By R. P.

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the New Beetle when they first came out and I have wanted one ever since. Owning one has been a dream come true! I love my Bug!

I would have to be typical and say the convertible top. But I also like the sound system.

My only real complaint is the gas mileage. But from what I have heard, the newer models are more fuel efficient.

• SUV