2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Not a Satisfied Customer
By Margarita06 on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a 2003 new beetle in Dec. of 2002.I rated this car so low because there was a malfunction in my vehicle that caused it to "melt down"&almost caught on fire.This happened after a year of driving my car.After taking it to the dealership, they said that because the"melt down"is considered a fire, it voided the manufacture warranty.My insurance co.determined that the cause of the incident was due to a manufacture's defect.After reporting this to Volkswagon America,I was told that there was nothing that could be done.I was not satisfied with the reliability of the vehicle and there is a chance that this can happen to other customers.

Bailey's review
By Jim Ragan on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love to drive it and am very proud of the little guy. It feels like I'm driving a much heavier and larger car.

Problematic bug, unhelpful dealers
By Trevor Hirst on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My bug has had many recurring problems from the day I took delivery. I have had problems with the roof mechanism, the rear lights (both turn signals and brake lights) and the passenger-side window, which shoots back down when the window is raised. I have asked VW to buy the car back as a lemon. I have taken the car to two dealers for warranty work, neither of whom are particularly helpful. I never got a call from the dealer advising me that an ordered part arrived - I always have to call them. When the car itself was on order it was the same. I not buy VW again.

Rock solid!
By Thokas on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In the year and a month I have owned this car, it's brought me nothing but smiles and enjoyment. The turbodiesel engine is smooth, quick, and rather quiet. The power comes on strong and keeps coming until redline. It's a great highway cruiser and long-distance traveller. Why go hybrid? Get a TDI! It's more fun!

Beetle
By addkev on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car, it is so fun to drive and everyone stares.

blue bug
By Blue Bug on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my convertible bug! However, the drivers window shattered due to a malfunction. Truly can't put alot in the vehicle but it's a fun car!

Happy Driver
By Witty on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

With over 5,000 miles driven I'm averaging 47 miles/gal. overall. The car is pretty peppy but not really fast. Interior room is abundant with more overhead space than I've had in any previous vehicle. Sound system and acoustics are good. Handles great.

Happy Fat Man
By Chanman on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Our Beetle is a 2003 Convertible GLS with leather and a six-speed automatic. This past Fall my wife and I took our 2003 Beetle Convertible on an 18 day, 5000 mile excursion to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and most points in between. We packed a week's change of clothes for warm and cool weather, plus a cooler packed with drinks, food, and cameras, ect. NO PROBLEM!! I am a big, big man, pushing 400lbs. Yet we were both very comfortable and the car performed without flaw. Let me tell you...there is nothing like the Rockies in a rag-top!!

Super B.
By skiman on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Turbo S is very fun to drive and has been a very reliable automobile. I love the cars overall design but would make a few slight improvements. Great handling and performance, "don't be afraid to drive it to the limit". You'll be impressed with the Turbo S's high speed maneuverability. The faster you go the more fun this car is!

bug
By Bettine on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

love this car great to drive and can carry lots with the hatch down! only draw back I've found is the placement of the cup holders you can't get anything bigger then a soda can. thinking they need to think about those big gulps from 7-11