Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Most Helpful|
1.8T NEW BEETLE
By keebee133

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

THIS IS VERY FUN CAR TO DRIVE. WE JUST GOT THE LIMITED EDTION BLUE ON BLUE AND BLACK SEATS. THE TURBO ENGINE PICKS UP QUICK, AND ON THE INSIDE IT IS THE BEST IN IT'S CLASS.

Favorite Features

TURBO ENGINE, BLUE AND BLACK TRIM

Suggested Improvements

A LITTLE LONGER WHEEL BASE SO MORE HEAD ROOM COULD BE MADE FOR BACKSEAT.

German Engineering?
By julse520

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this as my first car thinking I was being smart by buying something with good fuel econemy and reliability. I love to drive the car when it's working properly.For the first two months or so, she provided me with all of that until one day, during rush hour traffic, the car lost ALL power completely. After that, car SLAMS into gear. Now, the car likes to do that randomly in awful places. The turbo lag on a hot day is ridiculous. I feel like I'm going to be killed sometime soon. And also, all the plastic finishes in the interior break. Car is made extremely cheep. Oh yea, german engineering? It's made in MEXICO if that explains the awesome reliability haha

Favorite Features

My leather is beautiful blue matching the exterior color of the car. Turbo is awesome when it's not lagging. And also, you'll probably never get pulled over because really? What cop is suspicious of a bug?

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are in an awful place. Can't even fit a big gulp! If you're going to make a tiny econemy car, at least make it with fuel econemy over 25 mpg. My moms SUV does better than my car!

Poor build quality and transmission lets it down
By ricochet65

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

2003 Convertible, lightly driven with 43000 miles. Transmission failed, due to what now appears to be a known problem with the "valve body". VW support extremely poor. This car looks nice but has been nothing but trouble: windows do not work correctly, have been fixed twice, roof gets stuck and VW fitter wanted $1500 to repair (it took me 10 minutes to snap the loose clip back on and cost nothing - so much for service. Everything is a hassle to repair - battery is over $200, bulbs cannot be replaced easily, airbag light cost $250 to temporarily repair. If you want the beetle style spend the money on a restored air cooled one, from when VW knew how to make serviceable vehicles!

Favorite Features

Retro look

Suggested Improvements

Listen to customers and offer a decent repair and warranty service.

Hate It
By Dont buy a bug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had more problems with this car than I had with my prior car that I had for 7 years. I have had the dashboard replaced twice, the stereo replaced 4 times, the keys replaced once. Also 2x in the last year the car didnt start, for no reason. Then when it did it, the entire dashboard was lit up, hence the 2x replacing the dashboard.

Favorite Features

Its cute outside.

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE RELIABILITY

Not a Satisfied Customer
By Margarita06

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a 2003 new beetle in Dec. of 2002.I rated this car so low because there was a malfunction in my vehicle that caused it to "melt down"&almost caught on fire.This happened after a year of driving my car.After taking it to the dealership, they said that because the"melt down"is considered a fire, it voided the manufacture warranty.My insurance co.determined that the cause of the incident was due to a manufacture's defect.After reporting this to Volkswagon America,I was told that there was nothing that could be done.I was not satisfied with the reliability of the vehicle and there is a chance that this can happen to other customers.