2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Let Me Tell You What's BUG'n Me
By steelfab on 09/16/12 10:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our 03 Beetle with the 1.8L with about 50,000 miles on it. Within weeks it had an engine light on. I have battled the engine light, among other things, ever since. We changed an injector and a coil pack on the number 2 cylinder because of a persistent miss. This was after diagnosis of codes would not narrow the problem down. Immediately following it began cranking hard on start and not starting until the second attempt. First code said crankshaft sensor so we replaced that. Had to replace camshaft sensor thereafter to fix the problem. Next it threw a coolant system code so we replaced the ECT sensor. After that the thermostat. This car was a reliability nightmare. Never ever again.

Spend your money elsewhere
By julianna33 on 11/28/11 12:19 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

From my experience with VW my car and others they are junk. They all break easily. I have had to repair so many things a 1K a pop 5 times at least. Not including maintenance things. The design so compact requires many hours of labor to remove and replace to get to certain things. Plus the headlight lens falls off and cost ALOT of money to replace which i have done twice now at $400 each lens assembly and its falling off again! Just a crappy car. My sister has a golf the transmission and engine are going. Other family members have toyota and honda and hey i have never seen a repair as stupid or as costly or as often as VW repairs are. Junkie cars and they say German engineering is the best HA

Over Powered Go Cart
By johnrushing on 03/17/11 18:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my Turbo S for almost 6 years and have loved every minute of it. I love the power the little 1.8t makes and how smooth the power comes on. I left mine stock up until last year and then started modifying it. I love the look on Mustang drivers when a little beetle pulls ahead of them. The handling is great, like it's on rails, and the fuel economy is good. Before modifying the engine I got my best mpg of 32 mpg by driving no faster than 65mph and not doing any jack rabbit starts. With the mods I am still getting 29mpg. I plan on keeping the beetle and seeing exactly what type of performance the 1.8t has in it, have seen a few putting out over 350hp and still very drivable.

Dead at 66.000 Miles!
By Rick on 01/07/09 20:00 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my Beetle for 4 years in 2003. It was in the shop 6 times the first year! Now at 66,000 miles the engine has lost all compression. My local mechanic could not find a reason so I had it towed to the VW dealership to see if they could tell me what happened. They did not have a clue, but said the engine is definitely dead. I had the oil changed every 4000 miles. The power train warranty expired at 60,000 miles (before 2003 it was a 100,00 mile warranty. I am through with VW's! (oh yes, and I still owe money on this pile of junk)

Reliable and Fun
By kayjay75 on 09/30/07 21:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I bought it new and have never had any problems. It's fun to drive, is a rare model, and overall takes good care of me. I've driven Japanese cars before but found them to be boring and average. This car has more personality than 100 Japanese cars combined. It's definitely not for everybody but if you truly enjoy driving then a Volkswagen is undoubtedly an excellent choice. I plan to hold onto this car forever. Happy driving!

I luv my V-Dub!
By Elaine Fabs on 09/25/07 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been driving my Turbo charged, lagoon blue VW Beetle for 2 and 1/2 months now and I just love it! I have great power and stunning looks. It's so much fun to drive. I have not had a single problem with it. Gotta luv the bug!

Fastest Bug Ever Made (STOCK)
By captbill on 11/28/06 12:38 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is one of the most fun, sportiest, fastest little speed demons on the road today. It is 6 speeds of pure driving pleasure. Mine has every option that you could have on a little machine from heated leather seats to heated mirrors. This machine rocks! I LOVE IT! Volkswagen outdone themselves on this little baby. The way every window and sunroof closes at 85 to keep you safe and aerodynamic is amazing.

Even better the second time!
By Matthew on 04/21/05 11:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had a 2001 dark blue turbo beetle before and loved it so much i upgraded to a red turbo S. I can't imagine driving anything else (getting in other cars just seems so dull)! Not one single problem has occurred- VW has improved tremendously on their reliability.

Happy 2nd birthday to my Turbo S
By RRRRRED on 04/21/05 00:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the Turbo S for 2 years and haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet. The mpg was what I expected, but the appointments came as a surprise. What a thrill to drive. (Wife hasn't driven it yet). The Monsoon w/ cd changer is an exceptional sound system. Quiet, stable and a real zoomer. The heated seats are great in the winter, and the AC blasts you out in the summer. The best VW I've owned.

Great Car
By E2Z on 02/15/05 13:36 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the Turbo S for two years and 43,000 miles. We took it back to the dealer once for a recall. Other than that it has been perfect! It is fun to drive, comfortable, economical, relatively fast (my wife also has a Corvette) and dependable. We use it to commute 160 highway miles a day.