2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
very refined pocket-rocket
By PKT RKT on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

The GTI is more expensive than the typical hot hatchback, but what you get is refinement that you usually only see on near-luxury vehicles in the mid $30,000 range. This is a very fun car to drive on long trips as well as everyday commutes. It's also very roomy and easy to live with on a day-to-day basis.

VW Reliability
By mwestbrook on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Since my last review...the ignition coil has gone bad (while I was driving it)...and Today, after driving to a couple of places (running errands) my terrific and reliable (sarcasm) GTI decides it doesn't want to start...my car is stranded, blocking traffic! I have VW roadside assistance come out...they give me a jump and also state that the battery is just fine...turn off the car and guess what? It doesn't want to start again!!!! The clock defaults back to 1200/the trip mileage counter sets back to zero...I am guessing it's an electrical problem...have to wait until Monday...because VW service and customer service are closed on Weekends!

Poor Man's Porsche? Absolutely
By GTI Fan on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I couldn't be happier. For the same price, no car gets even close to the driving quality of a GTI. Will definitely go for it again...

VW Quality
By mwestbrook on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my brand new GTI in March of 2002. I have already had both window regulators break, rendering my driver/passenger side windows useless and trapped inside both doors. Not good since I park my car on the street. It took over 3 weeks to get the windows fixed...because window regulators are on national back order. Now my right tail brake light is out and I only have 10,000mi on my car. It makes me wonder...what's next?

Happy So Far
By New GTI Owner on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

A blast to drive. I'm getting pretty bad gas mileage (20-21 mpg) since the car feels comfortable in the 4000+ RPM range. The 200 hp VR6 is definitely smoother, quieter, and not as jerky as the 1.8T. However, I probably would have gotten the 1.8T if I could have gotten the 6-speed and climate control. I was disappointed to see that the final assembly was in Brazil as eveything I had read before that (including Edmunds) indicated that the final assembly would be in Germany. That being said, the build quality feels very good. I do think the car is a great value and would do it again.

LOVE this car
By BlueyedBoi69 on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is amazing! Every day I look forward to getting into it and speeding off to work, or out to play in the mountains.

GTI VR6-Fun to drive......to the shop
By rmarz91 on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

The good: Power, car looks good--Interior looks well made--Like the heated leather seats--Radio looks cool--17"wheels The bad: Had at the dealer many times because the check engine light keeps coming on--Have to drive with the seat moved forward about 3 inches if you want to fold the rear seats down--Monsoon sound system has NO bass response--Climate control fan starting to make noise--Factory roof rack mounting bolts not mounted properly into frame on passengers side making mounting a roof rack very difficult if not impossible--No help for previous issue from VW -- Has 5500 miles on it and is developing alot of rattles and noises.

God Bless 24Vs!
By grant on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

What an improvement from the 12V platform. Car is still VERY early in it's mileage as I am still breaking it in, but it is VERY fast- watch out 1.8 turbos. Engine is buttery smooth, and the new 6-speed is a million years ahead of the old rubbery, sloppy 5- speed. Torque is plentyful down low, and the car just pulls and pulls all the way to redline. An incredibly fun car to drive, and a very comfortable cruiser.

God Bless 24Vs!
By Grant on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Gti- Engineering.
By kho on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Gti is a very under-rated car, it is fully featured for the same price as a RSX premium. It is fast and corners better than any japanese car out there. (evident in a 1/4 mile ring against a Gt-s) It gets up to speed fast and has passing power to boot. Superb stock car.