I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller on
2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)
I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.
Favorite Features
I like the xtra cab area for a trunk and the truck is fun for off road. The 4wd is great in the snow and the truck itself is very reliable. I also like all the interior features. I feel like I am in a car driving it.
Suggested Improvements
Somehow make this truck better on gas. It is so poor that I may have to sell it. The ride could be a little smoother. Besides that, this is a very good truck and very reliable. I wish it was a 6.
By tacoma105
on 02/12/14 10:25 AM (PST)

Vehicle is set up wrong, I have a 2.7L xtracab prerunner automatic and am about 28-30mpg. The best combination for these vehicles are Bilstein shocks front and back, Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires, some kind of soft or hard bed cover, and COPPER spark plugs with 10W40 motor oil. People will try to sell you on Platinum or Iridium plugs, but believe it of not, the copper plugs run alot better in the 2.7L. Just make sure to change them every 15k miles. I would also recommend changing BOTH front and read Oxygen Sensors if you are experiencing that fuel economy.