2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
278,000 miles and counting
By gene_neill on 10/20/12 12:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Prerunner new in 2004. My previous truck was an F-250, so it was tough to give up the size, and the big V8 engine - in fact I still miss those things. But this truck just keeps on and keeps on and KEEPS ON, so I just can't complain anymore. In all these miles, I have done pretty much NOTHING except change the oil, and whatnot. The only thing that has ever broken was the power steering pump, somewhere around 150K miles. I plan to continue driving this as my main (and only) work and personal vehicle at least until it hits 350,000. I see no reason to believe that will be a problem.

Best truck...EVER!Bou
By sierratoy on 04/22/11 23:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 4X4 TRD December 03. 2004 was last year of the compact size. Didn't want the larger midsize 05 model. Extremely durable and reliable. Off road capabilities are superb. It also cruises very well on the highway. Excellent in snow...deep snow. Only regular scheduled maintenance required.These trucks are the best EVER.

I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller on 12/09/10 08:54 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

Love This Truck!
By J Love on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in late 2003, and it just turned 100,000 mile last week. It has not needed anything other than normal maintenance (brakes need to be replaced, tires too). The worst thing is that the accelerator squeaks. I travel about 30 miles to and from work daily and it gives me a comfortable ride. The V6 helps passing the big trucks (I am glad I did not get the 4 cylinder). This is a great truck! I hope my next Toyota is just as reliable (whenever that happens).

Owner/operator
By l1nda on 06/20/10 11:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced 5 sets of front brake rotors, replaced ball joints within 2 years of ownership, within 2 years of purchase had to start replacing exhaust system 3 times, replace rear shocks after 3 years of purchase date, brought Tacoma to dealer with frame rust in 2008 nothing was done, another recall came up in 2010 now the frame is completely rotted out and getting the run around from the Toyota company. Want to put new frame underneath vehicle with all rusted hardware this means taking the entire vehicle apart who knows how it will run after that. Want Toyota to buy back vehicle but they refuse to will fight to the end. I am done with toyotas. Drove this vehicle with rot on frame for two years

Love it
By Tank on 05/19/10 08:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Tacoma, i think I have talked about 3 people into buying my truck. The thing is built well, barely have to do any maintenance on it. I got my truck with 23 miles on it, now it has about 117,000 miles. My baby has not let me down yet, it drives well in the snow, rain and basically loves going off roading from time to time. I would suggest my Tacoma to anyone.

nice truck
By john on 04/07/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a TRD I bought and am very happy with it. Getting in and out of it is a problem sometimes. The step bars are nice, but then you bang your head on the door frame. The clock placement is demented. I have never been able to see it without looking around the steering wheel. I miss full set of instruments on the dash in front of me, and a locking gas filler. All said, still enjoy owning and driving it.

Very Dependable!
By Hunter on 01/07/10 11:54 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great truck! I chose to buy the smaller Tacoma with the 2.4 4-cyl for better gas mileage. I calculate my mpg at every fill-up and consistently get 22-23 mpg. This includes 50%hwy/50% city driving. I am pretty easy on the pedal so that makes a difference. The auto trans is a little sluggish in city driving. It is geared pretty low so it can pull what it's rated for. I just wish it had a little more "get- up." Extended cab was not made for people. It is best for storing tools or groceries. I hate that I have to sell it but with a growing family it doesn't have enough room. This truck has really held its value!!

Love This Truck!
By Sybaris on 12/30/09 06:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Found an '04 V6 PreRunner with SR5 and TRD package with only 24k miles on it. Still smelled new! I had an S10 and the difference is amazing. The smooth ride, power, fuel economy, and options on this truck make S10's and Rangers look and feel antiquated.

Solid truck
By dave on 08/03/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It's a good, solid compact truck. The clock is poorly located, the truck "thumps" when stopping and starting and feels like it's almost airborne on the freeway. With the TRD package, the ride is harsh. Beyond that whining, the truck handles well, has good headroom, and all the power I need (I did improve its breathing by adding an additional port on the filter box to allow more air in. It's been reliable, with no problems other than what I noted above, except the dash rattles against the windshield, which was fixed by installing weather stripping to muffle this sound. My only regret was not getting a 4x4 since it's of little use in snow (the rear locker doesn't really help).