Used 2010 Toyota Prius III Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

My dream car!
By krit1

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2008 Prius was totaled in a car accident and I got very little from my insurance co. So, I opted for a Ford Fiesta. Hated it from the start! Took it to the dealer twice for lunging and I hated the gear shift. A disaster!! I traded it in for a 2010 Prius with 50,000. I can't tell you the extraordinary difference. It's like trading up from a Datsun to a cutting-edge, super Eco dream car. It drives like velvet. The console is easy to navigate. The body is sporty, the interior spacious, as is the trunk. I can't think of anything negative other than my III model didn't come with a 6 changer CD player. But, the dealership will rectify it. I will never shop out of the Prius family.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, sporty look, easy to use, cutting edge console, spacious inside, fun to drive, smooth drive, reliable...everything is right about this car!

Suggested Improvements

Future cutting edge design. I look forward to the 2015 model. Toyota is on it! They are forward thinkers.

Love our Prius
By paul5637

We have a 2010 Prius III. Loved it from the start. It has as much head room as our mini van or more. We haul it loaded full Illinois to Florida and back Fall and Spring and get on average 48 mpg overall. That surprised me with driving the interstates most of the way at 70 mph a lot. Definitely will get another one for our next car. When I see the price of gas going up it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. With getting over twice the mpg as my previous vehicles, I figure $4/gal gas is like paying $2/gal.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry locks and starting; built in Navi system; back up camera.

Suggested Improvements

Miss headlights that automatically come on at dusk; doesn't have the programable button for garage door opener like I have had before; miss the distance sensors on back bumper like I have had.

One year in.
By lvboardwalk

We bought our Prius on the last work day sat. feb 27, 2010 and got a great deal. It was quota time and with all the recall news on Prius we ended up saving $4,200. We also found a Toyota dealer on line to get and extended factory warranty for $820. as opposed to the dealers $1399. After some 7,000 miles we were amazed to get some 53mpg warm weather and around 47 in the Ohio cold. Very pleased with the mialage. We have never driven in anything but ECO gear. We will replace our 2004 Pontiac Vibe (Matrix) with a new Prius once we see what the new ones have to offer. The Vibe has been excellent but is now obsolete. My daughter will take it over.

Favorite Features

We like the solor roof and the GPS altho were still learning it (300+ pages) Our Garman plug in is less complicated. The trunk space like our Vibe is very spacious especially when dropping down the seats. The synthetic oil is a nice touch since we dont have to take it in till 10,000 miles. It may cost more but not as often. The mialage is a big plus for us since we drive to Pa. and WVa. casino's. We fill it up and have pleanty of gas to drive around on when we get back....amazing. Our passengers compliment the Prius on it being quiet and roomy comfortable especially on a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic finish scratches especially around the point of securring the seat belt. In the III you have to turn on and off the headlights. We did'nt have to do that in our older models of Toyota's, thus we now have to remember to turn them on and off. I believe the IV has auto headlights but we did'nt want leather seats.

So far very pleased
By sporin71

We got our Blue Prius III almost a month ago and are very pleased so far. Living in Vermont, we had the car delivered with snow tires on it and between those, and the ever-cold tems, we are averaging just 40mpg so far. But that is to be expected under the conditions. I expect around 50 when temps go up and the LLR tires go back on. With the snow tires, the car has been very good on the snow covered roads and I highly suggest that anyone dealing with regular snow falls run dedicated snow tires on this car. I'm a big guy, 6' tall and 300+ and this car fits very well. Only negative so far is a plethora of squeaks and groans from the hard plastic dash... worse in cold weather.

Favorite Features

High mpg, Satellite radio, push button start and keyless entry which I was sure I would hate but now I wonder why everything doesn't work this way.

Suggested Improvements

Make the passenger's seat height adjustable like the driver's seat is. Softer plastics on the dash with more isolation to deal with the squeaks.

Awesome Commuter Car
By sporttracz

After driving a new Hyundai Elantra and the Prius, I opted for the Prius. Took a trip that was 200 miles one way and got 53 mpg. Not bad since the weather was below freezing. The car is very comfortable and has good power when you use the power option. The JBL stereo sounds great. No worry's on the maintenance for 2 years which is nice.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfort and JBL stereo

Suggested Improvements

None