The nicest Toyota yet.
By bajarainny on
2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Having traded in our '04 Camry, this Highlander is our 5th Toyota. The styling for 2011 is much improved over the '08-'10 version and can actually be called a "looker". After 2 weeks of owning it, I've had two strangers stop me and ask about it. Having a great time with the navigation system and bluetooth phone set up and the entertainment system seems to work well (kids and grandchild). At first, I was a little daunted by all the electronics and technology, but I'm one of those guys who does read the manuals (no fewer than 6 came with the car) and learning how to use everything is fun. The best part is, it's a Toyota and everything works as it was designed to.
Favorite Features
The car is reasonbly quiet (for an open body inside) and comfortable. The driving experience is not challenging which is what we wanted in a family car (I haven't done slaloms or driven off road in years......LOL). It is pretty relaxing and serene and very comfortable. SUV's are not noted for their fuel savings, but right out the door from the dealership, in Feb. cold and lots of idling (showing it to friends and family) and one 200 mile backroads trip, our Highlander did 20.1 mpg on the first full tank of gas. Sure the Camry did better, but this is a larger SUV with 4WD and seating for 7. I'm pleased.
Suggested Improvements
I agree with one reviewer who noted that the top of the line Limited should have memory seats. My wife and I have to adjust the driver's seat each time the other goes to drive it next and that gets old. I suppose if Toyota put it in, then there wouldn't be much more reason to buy the Lexus, except for the "L" on the grille, since Highlander and RX350 use the same engine and come from the same platform. Oh, and in our area, there is only one Lexus dealer (not much discounting) and the RX cost about $10K more. I have no other suggested improvements. I think they did a nice job with the 2011 revisions.